estellec: Ozzie landscape: Vaal of groen

estellec

Hi all

we are gathering as much info as possible. Watching travel OZ on the travel channel and anything that I can lay my hands on. We will most likely settle in Sydney. A concern that we have - can someone tell us what the countryside looks like - is daar natuurskoon? What we see on TV looks very much like the Freestate, and quite dreary. Are there also beautiful areas near Sydney with mountains, nature hikes and beuatiful nature?

Hope to hear from you - if you canpost some photo's

I went to Sydney ages ago, but where we stayed with friends there are beautiful parks and very scenic surroundings, The blue Mountains are prob 50km away from Sydney and they are lovely I know you can go for walks there.

Candice

Hi all

we are gathering as much info as possible. Watching travel OZ on the travel channel and anything that I can lay my hands on. We will most likely settle in Sydney. A concern that we have - can someone tell us what the countryside looks like - is daar natuurskoon? What we see on TV looks very much like the Freestate, and quite dreary. Are there also beautiful areas near Sydney with mountains, nature hikes and beuatiful nature?

Hi all

I quite like the Free State look - it reminds me of when I grew up. There was less crime, and our currency was worth something!

Hi Astellec

Jip, the blue mountains are just inland off the coast. Pretty much like our Drakensberge. On the eastern side more green and lush and on the inland side it becomes drier.

But still beautiful and a lot of places to see and things to do. You won't be bored.

The Blue Mountains is realy great.

Martin

Hi Astellec

Jip, the blue mountains are just inland off the coast. Pretty much like our Drakensberge. On the eastern side more green and lush and on the inland side it becomes drier.

But still beautiful and a lot of places to see and things to do. You won't be bored.

The Blue Mountains is realy great.

Martin

We're going to Queensland and I battled to find pictures of the area of Townsville. I looked on YOu tube and found people had put their holiday videos on it. A lot better than still pics. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Karon

We stayed in Castle Hills, Sydney for two months. Came back middle Feb 2009. We really loved the Blue Mountains. It is beautiful and reminds you of the Eastern Transvaal. Love old towns along the way to Blue Mountains. We also went to Canberra. They have a wonderful War Museum which is worth visiting. They have Eucalyptus forests everywhere. That is why they are so strict with open fires. A lot of places along the main road reminded us of SA. Every plant, shrub, three in Castle Hills, grows in SA. We did not feel that we were in a strange country. We also went to the coast at Dee Why, Woolagong etc. It is beautiful along the coast and some places reminds you of the Cape. We also went to Hunters Valley, their wine area and it is a lovely area. Not with the huge mountains near Stellebosch but full of special places and lovely scenery. Ons of the most beautiful places in Sydney is the Darling Harbour Area.

You must remember that one can never compare everything with SA. Every country has its special places etc. No thorn trees like in SA. No big five but a lot of other animals and things. That is a mind change that one must make and not complain all the time because it is not SA. My children went to Sydney end of June last year. they are very happy although they miss us. The quality of life is something else. No one will understand the meaning unless you stayed there for a while. I can only speak about Sydney CBD and the Hills area. Lovely area to live. Very few electric gates (we did not see any), no burglar bars, no walls with barb wire or electric fencing. There are also some scary areas near the CBD but I think you will find that all over the world.

Good Luck!

FaerieG :ilikeit:

Hi all

There are plenty of beautiful areas within 20minutes - 1.5 hours from Sydney.

Here are some links to photos I took over the pas year:

Crosslands Reserve

Kurrajong Trails near Richmond

Lente in Sydney

Wisemans Ferry

Wollongong

Ku ring gai Chase Natuurreservaat

Barrington Tops

Muogamarra Staproete

Cumberland Forest (200 meter van ons huis)

Blue mountains naby Katoomba

Hier is nog fotos,

En dis maar net die Ore van die Seekoei

Edited by Swerwer