ANYONE KNOW ABOUT NEWCASTLE

christinadd

Hi There

We are looking at Newcastle. I have 3 boys and want to be in a safe place to bring them up. I also dont know about the schools there so if anyone knows of info on NEWCASTLE please pleasee help me here..

Thanks Christina

Edited by christinadd

• 2 weeks later...
Hi There

We are looking at Newcastle. I have 3 boys and want to be in a safe place to bring them up. I also dont know about the schools there so if anyone knows of info on NEWCASTLE please pleasee help me here..

Thanks Christina

Hi Christina,my name is Toinette, using my husband sign in at the m. When are u going you planning to be in Newcastle? We will also be moving there in a bit. Try the yahoo website and type in Newcastle NSW. You will find some info, though not that much. We are also trying to get info together. So far it seems that there is a few nice suburbs around. It sounds like Newcastle is something between Richardsbay and Empangeni, my personal take, I could be wrong. Either way I see you have 3 boys. I have one son aged 14. What type of job will your hubby be doing and what will you be doing. I am also desperate to meet up with people going in that direction. Please let me know if you have found any other info in the meantime.

Toinette

Hi

We visited Oz last year and amongct other places we went to Newcastle. It is a typical mining town...like Richards Bay but a bit bigger. Also felt a bit like Klerksdorp.

Pleanty of coal mining there and vast amounts of ships I think from China collecting the coal!

Was raining cats and dogs the day I was there...

Andre

Hi Christina

I am not sure exactly what you want to know. My wife was born and grew up in Newcastle, went to school and completed her undergraduate degree there. She's asleep right now :ilikeit:, but I know the area reasonably well.

There are some good schools, a good university (good medical faculty), and good hospitals. Downtown is tidy; all the shops, facilities, entertainment you would need. Several malls. Airport plus commuter trains to Sydney (or about 2 hrs drive). Local public transport could be better. Many parks, and some really nice beaches. Some large state parks in the vicinity.

Newcastle used to be polluted by heavy industry, but it is a lot cleaner now, economy reasonably good as far as I know. There used to be huge steel factories (BHP) but I think most of that has closed down, and the economy changed much over the last 10+ years. Big harbour exporting coal as someone said. I think most (all?) mines are slightly inland, away from the city. As is one of the best wine growing areas in Australia (Upper & Lower Hunter regions).

Like all cities in Australia, Newcastle is quite multi-cultural, lots of Eastern Europeans settled there many decades ago, many others since. It is a medium-size city, not too crowded, similar in size to Canberra, roughly about 250,000+ people. property prices are much, much more affordable than Sydney. There are quite a few nice suburbs, outer suburbs are almost rural. I would not be concerned about crime in Newcastle, if anything it is a bit sleepy. My father-in-law regularly sends us newspaper clippings, you should be able to find the newspaper online. Try The Herald. Now it is bed time for me :ilikeit: