Shelley: Hallo from Bloemfontein

Shelley

Hi there!

I have been visiting the forum often and found it very informative and helpful. I believe it is time to introduce myself, since my husband introduced himself ages ago. Lived in Auckland New Zealand for 5 years, came back to the old country for 8 months, on our way to Sunshine Coast by end of September. Looking for better weather than NZ and of course safety.

We have a blackwood round diningtable of 183cm and a buffet of 215cm which I am unsure if it will fit into the average home in Oz. Thinking of selling it, but will get next to nothing for it. Had trouble finding a home in NZ to fit this, don't want to go through that again. Any advice please?

From a cold and windy Bloemfontein

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Glad you decided to join us here!

I also have a quite large dining room suite, not as large as yours though. The buffet is only 185cm and the table is rectangeular, also 185cm x 110cm. There is also a smaller buffet. They are very special to me, and I would not leave them behind for the world. We had no trouble finding a home in which they fit. The pool table was a whole other story! :holy: We eventually found a home in which they all fit, a bit tight around the pool table, but they are in. Most homes I have seen, have quite big dining rooms, or these huge kitchen/dining/TV rooms, as well as a seperate living room.

If these things are special to you, you should bring them with you, otherwise you might miss them, and feel sad for having to sell them for next to nothing. That is something you have to decide for yourself.

Good Luck

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Shelley ... :D

We have a dining set, yellowwood and imbuia, which is the same size as yours. We had no problem at all finding a house big enough here for it - with space to spare! :holy: Now, when we lived in the UK, it was a whole other story ... :D . I would say bring it, you can't find stuff like that here without spending an arm and a leg. Also, it's nice to have your own stuff around you and makes a difference in settling, in my opinion...

In general, I found the Aussie homes' living areas bigger than in RSA (and the bedrooms & bathrooms quite smaller....) The kitchens are more or less the same size, but they usually have a built-in area for your fridge, which is more often than not, too small for a double door fridge (side by side) or big family size fridge. (We have our fridge in another part of the kitchen because it's too big for the "hole"..)

Thank you very much for the replies, helps a lot. Having a choice, I would rather take it with. Will see when the removal company does the estimate. Moving from NZ though, they overestimated so much, that we sold a lot of things which would have fitted in the end! Was very frustrating and annoying.

Another question - should rather go under health or something else - I apologise - do the SA recipes work in OZ without any adatation, i.e. in NZ we used selfraising flour instead of cake flour and still added the baking powder. In the end it was easier to get the Edmonds book (like the Kook en Geniet is to us).

Shelley