Gynae, Hospital & Healthcare in Melbourne?

Craig Ramsbottom

Hi,

We arrive in Melbourne on the 17th March, and with my wife being pregnant and due on the 10th May, there are a couple of priorities.

I've read through a number of forums on this site, but would like to ask questions relating to our specific scenario (apologies if any of these questions are duplicated in other posts).

If anyone has info to share on the following, please respond:

- Does anyone know of a good Gynae in Melbourne (preferrably Eastern suburbs)?

- Does anyone know of a good Hospital in Melbourne (preferrably Eastern suburbs)?

- What Medical Insurance Options do we have if entering on a 457 Business Visa?

- What Medicare options does my wife qualify for on a British Passport?

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

Hi Craig

I'm in Brisbane so can't answer your questions on doctors in Melbourne, although will mention that you'll only be looking for a gynae (obstetrician) if you're going to go private. If you're in the public system your care and birth will be handled by midwives at the hospital rather than doctors (unless things get complicated).

If your wife has actually lived in England, and is registered on the NHS, she may be covered by the reciprocal health agreement - perhaps your best bet for finding out more about this is www.britishexpats.com - or perhaps try and contact Medicare directly to ask about this.

There are a few medical insurers that will offer you immediate maternity cover i.e. with no waiting period if you can prove that you've been covered up until you left South Africa. I did this with MBF, and I know of someone who recently did this with HBF. But... I'm not sure if these options are available to 457 visa holders, or only to permanent residents...

Sorry I can't been more help!

Good luck

Clare

Hi,

Clare, thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have any advice to offer specifically for Melbourne?

FYI - We have to take out Private Healthcare as we'll be entering on a 457 without PR. On S.A passport this is our only option. Although my wife does have British passport, albeit that she hasn't lived in the UK, we're hoping she can also qualify for Medicare which will cover the incidental expenses.

The issue with the pregnancy and subsequent birth, is that it's considered a pre-existing condition, and as a result isn't covered by Private Healthcare either.

We're trying to get advice on Gynae's and Hospitals so we can setup a couple of appointments as soon as we arrive.

Thanks,

Craig.

Hi,

Clare, thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have any advice to offer specifically for Melbourne?

FYI - We have to take out Private Healthcare as we'll be entering on a 457 without PR. On S.A passport this is our only option. Although my wife does have British passport, albeit that she hasn't lived in the UK, we're hoping she can also qualify for Medicare which will cover the incidental expenses.

The issue with the pregnancy and subsequent birth, is that it's considered a pre-existing condition, and as a result isn't covered by Private Healthcare either.

We're trying to get advice on Gynae's and Hospitals so we can setup a couple of appointments as soon as we arrive.

Thanks,

Craig.

Hi

As you will have to a private hospital for this, and it will cost you big bucks! The dr charge a management fee (it is for their insurance (can be up to $2000). $100 per appointment and then some more for the birth.

Try the monash private hospital. It is in Clayton, on the way to the city. Big hospital, got all the neonatal stuff you might need! Their number is: 03 9594 5161. the private part is called Jessie McPherson.

or try the Cabrini Health hospital. there website is good, there is a list of obstetricians working there with their contact details.

I have also heard good things about the Box Hill hospital. It seems that you pick your hospital first and find out from them about the dr to use...

If you do not expect any problems it might be a lot cheaper to just go to a gp with extra ob training (here everybody is happy with just a midwife - but that is a little bit scary for me!!!) You should also be able to get that from the hospital (good luck with that....) Apointment should then be about $50. Ask me after tomorrow what I think of that!!

I will recomend that you get here (it is in anycase so close now) and go to the hospital midwife centre and ask them what you should do! Go to Medicare as well. It will be worth the trouble to figure that out as well! Do not worry the gov departement are very well organized here! There is medicare offices in all the big malls!

Good luck! Welcome in Melbourne soon!!!