Pregnancy

Alibaba

Hi there

I hope someone can help me. We are going on a 457, and want to take out private health insurance with IMAN. We are also planning on having another baby, perhaps next year (age is catching up with me VERY FAST). The only option on IMAN that covers pregnancy expenses are the most expensive cover, and we would prefer one of the cheaper options.

Can I confirm that we will be covered by Medicare once our PR application is in? We needn't have to have PR yet. This will then also mean doctor's visits and the delivery and hospital when we have another baby.

If the above is not the case does anyone know what a delivery and the expenses around that will cost out of pocket if we are not covered by IMAN?

Also, is the maternity grant only available once you have PR or once you have applied for PR?

Looking forward to any responses

Alibaba

Hi

Once you have applied for PR you can apply to be on Medicare. The baby bonus will only be given to Permanent Residents (so your visa must be granted) or citizens.

I have just made the leap into expectant motherhood (3 months) and my PR was officially granted on the 3rd of March.... just waiting for the evidencing to take place in Pretoria and then I will be back in sunny Perth as a Permanent Resident. :)

Cheers

Gaille

Thanks Gaille, you confirmed what I though.

Thanks Gaille, you confirmed what I though.

Hi

you asked about the cost:

No private medical care pay for the gynie appointments!!! (crazy!)

it is about $100 each.

Then they charge you an aditional $1500- $2000 for a management fee (hell knows what that is for - maybe insurance)

Then your priv cover will pay for the birth!

Of all that money medicare will give you back 80% of all exp over $1000. So that is something worth thinking about.

If you have medicare, you can access the public healty care. you will then see a midwife and a gp. a Obstetrician only if there is problems. They also do not do elective c/sections (if that was a issue).

So if possible wait for the medicare to kick in! That is if you will be happy with only a midwife and gp (with extra training in ob....)

Thanks Loksie.

We hope for it to be on Medicare, but I want to be well-informed and as I said the age thing........

Looks like I'll have to get used to the idea of only a midwife and GP. I wonder why in SA we are using the gyne's so much? It's not like that anywhere else.

I guess there are places (hospitals perhaps?) where you can go for that one or two scans, even if you pay yourself. Want to at least see the baby once and hear the heartbeat.

Do they test for Down's around 13 weeks like in SA? I'll be older and it is an issue.

Had a natural birth the first time round, so will do it again if possible, no worries about elective C-sections.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

My husband has his TRA .We had submitted our PR application. Hoping to get a job offer while the LONG wait is happening. Going to the Jhb EXpo this weekebd. Found out we are pregnant. Any advice? :ilikeit:

Georgie 1