Quit Smoking

Wessies

Hi Janneman

I can say with pride that I am still an ex-smoker. Still got the cravings some days but I just "shake" it off and continue with my day. We are going for 6 months now. Still got a long way to go but I think we made a good start.

EnricaC, goodluck and good on you for even trying to attempt it. It will be hard but just believe that you can survive without them.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wessies

• Andrea

• Nic

• dixie

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, still a non-smoker thanks to the support of the forum, albeit 10kg heavier :huh:

Hi Wessies

My husband and I decided to quit smoking when we decided to come to OZ. I have been a non smoker for one year and three months now and believe me no matter how much money your gonna save not smoking, it never going to compensate for the amount of health you will receive because of not smoking.

Believe me - for me it was really hard quiting - more difficult for me than for my husband. But I did it, I just put it down.

I have three children and while we smoked my kids became sick as well - too much for comfort. My medical aid was always depleated...if that explains anything. It never occurred to me the real reason why they always got sick - I was to naive.

It actually struck me in the year after I stopped smoking...my medical fund stayed untouched. I never took my kids to the doctor last year for being sick...only for an injurie a couple of times. Not for being sick. My kids are actually healthier than ever.

Not even will you be healthier by quitting to smoke, you will also save a hell of a lot of money!! A packet of sigarettes in WA costs around $12.50 (convert is to ZAR its around R83.75 for a packet. Depending on how much you smoke, you could easily save one week's groceries per month.

I may not be able to quit with you but know this - you have my full support with your decision to stop smoking. I did it for the same reasons you did and I gained a clean slate of health and my children too. :rolleyes:

Believe me - this will be the best decision you will ever make next to the one you made to come to Oz

All my support

Leonora

Thought I'll give you an update. (Go to page one of this topic and see my posts)

I have stopped smoking. For just about 2 months now.

Used a new drug on the market called Champix. What a terrible drug!! Seriously, nearly had me in Weskoppies, or equivalent here in Aus LOL!! So be ware of side effects. In Australia Medicare actually subsidise it so it's really affordable.

All in all it worked! AND it was easy as to stop smoking.

Wow! Congratulations to you all - it's a huge accomplishment!

"Chicken and cold turkey... that's a whole lot of poultry!!"

:lol: ...

... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I quit smoking last year end of august......thats 7 1/2 months smoke free

I managed to stop through "allen carr"..worked like a bomb...i was a VERY heavy smoker (30 to 40 a day)..

Putting down those smokes was the BEST thing i have ever done!!! :)

I quit smoking last year end of august......thats 7 1/2 months smoke free

I managed to stop through "allen carr"..worked like a bomb...i was a VERY heavy smoker (30 to 40 a day)..

Putting down those smokes was the BEST thing i have ever done!!! :rolleyes:

I also quit by using the Allen Carr method. I was a heavy smoker for more than 25 years. I quit 15 months ago, and have never looked back. NO cravings, mood-swings, panic attacks, feelings of deprivation... none of those symptoms!

Quitting this time was the easy because I understood the psychological addiction, not only the chemical addiction. I am not an ex-smoker, I am a non-smoker!

If you also want to quit, give the book a try, the worst that can happen is that you would have wasted 50 or 60 bucks on a book... It's called Alen Carr's "Easy way to Quit smoking." Sadly, he did eventually die of lung cancer... but, his smoking (and therefore his method of quitting which he has shared with the world) has ultimately helped millions of people quit tobacco... His was a life well lived, methinks!

Cheers

Andi