Quit Smoking

Wessies

Hier kom die agter os!!!!

Ek begin more met dag een. Siggies is klaar en ek het die Patches gereed. Hubby het darem al 'n week terug op gehou en dit gaan nie te sleg met hom nie en die humeur is darem nog hanteerbaar. Nou ja, - sal maar laat weet hoe gaan dit met die groot storie.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wessies

• Andrea

• Nic

• dixie

Top Posters In This Topic

Hier kom die agter os!!!!

Ek begin more met dag een. Siggies is klaar en ek het die Patches gereed. Hubby het darem al 'n week terug op gehou en dit gaan nie te sleg met hom nie en die humeur is darem nog hanteerbaar. Nou ja, - sal maar laat weet hoe gaan dit met die groot storie.

Good Luck :) , there are a few of us on here that will know exactly what you will be going through. :lol: Let us know how you are going - you will have lots of support that way!

Well, I stopped smoking on Feb 12th this year, and still going strong!! Thats 2 months without smoking WOOOHOOOO. I have stopped for a year before, but started again. This time its for real (as the song goes!!)

How long have others been off the siggies??? (those that were stopping around the same time)

Guest natalie3

To those that have recently quit..be strong!!!

remember..u are a puff away from a pack a day!!!!..so dont touch it!!!..especially other smokers will offer u a fag to be spiteful..JUST SAY NO!!!!!

How long have others been off the siggies???

Its been 6 weeks already! Cant believe it myself.

Its a matter of mindset - and you have to be strong. IT IS NOT EASY!!

But it gets easier as time goes by.

I've gained a few kilos, started to work on those today!!

I've gained a few kilos, started to work on those today!!

Funny you should mention that!! So have I - at least 4kg, maybe 5kg - but I still feel healthier!! I have noticed that sometimes, I walk into the kitchen and I am about to reach for the box of smokes on the table (DH is still smoking!) - and then duh! I remember that I don't smoke anymore - really weird! :rolleyes:

Guest Chris Rimmer
Funny you should mention that!! So have I - at least 4kg, maybe 5kg - but I still feel healthier!! I have noticed that sometimes, I walk into the kitchen and I am about to reach for the box of smokes on the table (DH is still smoking!) - and then duh! I remember that I don't smoke anymore - really weird! :rolleyes:

After a long love affair with cigarettes which began as a 10 year old in Germiston with a pack of 10 Gold Dollar. (anyone remember them?) graduated to Lexington as a teenager and imigrating to Dunhill Blue in Australia, I finally have given up. I used the new drug called Champix. You have to smoke for the first two weeks you are on it but you'll get a big surprise after that because guess what? - the fag you have after this period will taste like dried bovine excrement rolled in yesterday's newspaper.

I tried Zyban and apart from turning me into a hyper active lunatic, I continued smoking. Patches left me resembling an inflamed chess board, with red squares all over my body and the inhaler? Well one night at a party a girl asked me why I was smoking a tampon.

If you do want to give it a try and have any questions, feel free to pm me, certainly I would recommend it. The only side effects I've noticed is feeling slightly high, particularly in the mornings and also having particularly vivid dreams - often of an erotic nature.

Doesn't sound too bad does it guys? Haven't had a fag for 7 weeks and don't have plans to either.

Guest Chris Rimmer
Hi dude. You can do it on your own. I quit on the second of january, and haven't smiked since. I used a book called "the easy way to stop smoking", written and invented by a guy called Alan Carr. It's a brilliant eye opening method.

Good luck, you CAN do it.....

Mike.

As an interesting footnote to this thread, Alan Carr recently croaked after suffering lung cancer.

Ja Nico!

Jy het omtrent 'n ding begin. Hoeg gaan dit met die ophou rook?

En al die ander ouens? Ek en Frikkie het besluit om op te hou as ons op daardie vliegtuig klim, want ons het ook meer begin, met die hele besigheid. En om in vier maande alles te moet doen, is nie 'n grap nie!

En Nilo! :whome: Ek is nogal geskok! Hier het ek gedink ek is nog een van die min "stupid" mense wat nog rook! :holy: Maar ten minste kan ons ook met mekaar simpatiseer. Een van die dae is ons in Brissie, dan moet ons mekaar maar help!

Sterkte vir julle almal! :rolleyes: Cheers op 'n gesonde lewe, 'n gesonde lyf en skoon vars lug, en natuurlik gesonde kinders!!

Maritza2,

Dis verdomp moeilik maar kan gedoen word - dis makliker om op te hou in Oz want 'n pakkie sigarette kos gemiddeld $13 (R95). Sodra jy besef jy verbrand amper R3000 per maand (as jy 'n pakkie per dag rook) gee dit jou sommer baie motivering. As julle altwee rook is dit R6000 per maand!!

Dit was genoeg om my te motiveer - ek is nou al 'n nie-roker vir 14 maande. Geen patches of sulke dinge gebruik nie..... net eenvoudig opgehou.

Brisbane is lekker.... hou kontak sodat ons kan ontmoet wanneer julle hier land.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi julle,

Is julle nog oraait met die "quittery"? Ek is darem al by dag 11 en ja, ek vergeet ook nogal party keer van die "Patch" wat ek moet op plak ... so dit gaan aan. Het 'n kilo opgetel in die 11 dae maar sal Dinsdag maar begin plan maak .... ek het darem nog my Suid Afrikaanse dieet so sal dit maar volg .... dis die dieet wat jy so lekker verloor. Hulle noem dit die wyn dieet. Ek het dit een keer gevolg en toe verloor ek drie dae!!!!

Nou ja, sterkte aan almal. By manlief se werk begin die ouens ook nou "quit" want sigaret pryse gaan ook weer op een of anner tyd so dan het die ouens nie genoeg $$$$ vir hulle Bier nie.

• 5 months later...

Originally I was going to join this quitters club, but I chickened out...

But would like to report that i am now on DAY 71 of NO SMOKING!!!

To the smokers out there, it can be done....

The only bad thing is I seem to be replacing my ciggies with food, needless to say have put on a whole bunch of weight, which doesn't help other health issues... oh well, even though my arteries are probably clogged from fats, my lungs are clean.... :unsure:

Take care,

red

Julle moet die non-smoking advertensies sien in Australie! hectic stuff! ;)

Genoeg om jou aandete te verloor...

Dat iemand nog rook na sulke skokkende nagevolge gaan my verstand te bowe!

Ek is self 'n nie-roker van amper 2 jaar...vandat ek in Aus is is daar nie 'n manier wat ek ooit weer rook nie :D

Quit this morning...hope I can do it! :lol: Smoking is really a disgusting habit. What makes me feel guilty is smoking around my son. I CAN DO IT (I hope?!)

Also have an incentive to stop....(yes I know, besides the lung cancer thing, I needed something more short term!) My best friend will treat me to a day at a health spa & my fiance will throw in a shopping spree if I can stop for a month. Unfortunately if I don't stop both deals will be reversed leaving me to treat them both!

I am happy to report that after 7 months I am still a non-smoker. This little thread was a great support and a brilliant idea. I hope Tracey manages to drag some more of you on board to join her. If any of you are toying with the idea of quitting, NOW might be a good time to try. Sometimes, some of us need to quit a few times before we eventually get it right - so even if you are not convinced you will ultimately succeed this time, quit anyway - it makes for good practice even if only for a week or two!!

I've had 2 double espressos this morning and got the shakes...then went to the chemist to buy some Nicorette. That stuff tastes awful! Tried to chew the gum with 1/2 a Tendermint but then it ended up all gooey ... Feel like such a loser for needing the stuff. I'm actually going to go home early today, can't handle being at work, GRrrrr. :thumbdown: NO!!! I won't start again then try quit later...this is too hard to do all again! I'm pretty stubborn so the will to prove everyone wrong is more than my need to smoke at the moment. Wish me luck!

That's great Andrea! Is everyone else that quit still not smoking? Going to a braai tonight so I guess this will be the test...

That's great Andrea! Is everyone else that quit still not smoking? Going to a braai tonight so I guess this will be the test...

I'm not a smoker (never was), but I just read the whole thread when I saw activity on it again. Congratulations to all you guys & gals that pulled through!

And TraceyR, good for you! Hope there are more to join you in this, and that the support stays strong!

Good luck at the braai, and don't give in!!!

A

Keep going TraceyR!!! Your head needs to be in right place…Your body hates the cigarette smoke, so why do it! :rolleyes:

I know it’s easier to say than to do :o But you have already stopped, so just keep at it!

Great Andrea…good for you :ilikeit:

Avida, I am also from Moreleta Park (*sigh*) I loved it there, good memories… ^_^

Hi all

First I want to say to all that managed to stop smoking: Big congratulations!!!

I have been smoking since I was 16. We did go for that accupuncture treatment in JHB 4/5 jears ago and it did work until hubby started again because of all the stress at work. When we came over we decided that we would quit once we are safely in OZ, it never hapened. It has been a year and we were still smoking. Until 4 weeks ago when I finaly convinced HD to quit with me because we were spendig $400 a month on cartons of B & H Rich. We came to a point now were we realy cannot afford it any more and in any case we want to apply for PR wich eventhough we get sponsered for cost money before we can claim anything back.

We started on a monday (don't know why always a monday) to cut down. I went from smoking 10 -15 a day to only 3/4 a day an HD went from smoking 20 - 30 a day to only 3. That lasted for a week and on the next sunday he did not touch a cigarette. So I felt bad and since then we have both stopped completely. It is sunday comming 3 weeks without one cigarette. I must say that I am extremely proud of both of us.

So to everyone trying to quit: It CAN be done without help. Just motivate yourself and try to break the habit. And also: KEEP BUSY!!!!!!!! If you've got time to think it is going to be hell.

TraceyR, if you need support, PM me. Don't give in to temptation. You CAN stop and you WILL stop.

Good luck to everybody else

Finaly smoke-free Wilma

Wow Wilma, that's really impressive! I'm still going strong...only been two days but it already feels as though I'll make it. When I really want to smoke at work I just stand near someone that's smoking and it's enough for me. My son's reaction to my quitting was really great which is reward enough.

• 5 months later...

Pardon me for making a nuisance of myself, but I have a question for the people who decided to quit smoking:

How successful were you in your efforts to kick the habit? :huh: It's been a while since we had any feedback and I'm curious. :)

Pardon me for making a nuisance of myself, but I have a question for the people who decided to quit smoking:

How successful were you in your efforts to kick the habit? :) It's been a while since we had any feedback and I'm curious. :)

Hi Janneman

I didn't make any promises, but have to quit as well! At $12 a pack, well say no more. Have been thinking about it for ages........tomorrow being April the 1st, maybe that is a good day to make that massive decision hey!!!!!(oh boy, what have I got myself into)

EricaC :huh:

I was too 'chicken' to quit when the rest of the group started.

BUT am proud to say that July last year I stopped 'cold turkey'....

Chiken and cold turkey... that's a whole lot of poultry!! :huh:

Anyway nearly 8 months now, and haven't even had a drag... i do still get the odd craving... but am so pleased to say... I am a non-smoker....

Edited by Red