Home made chutneys & relishes

chester

Ever tried making your own chutneys and relishes? I know we can get Mrs Balls, it's easy just pick it off the shelf, put it in your shopping trolley then pay for it. Yep we can all do that :unsure:

This week so far I have made 4 bottles of tomato & basil pasta sauce, 4 bottles of tomatoe chutney and a very, very hot chilli paste. Next I want to make a milder sweet chilli sauce and preserve some peaches.

My house smelt lovely with all this cooking.

Anybody want a recipy? We want to hear about your efferts please and pop a photo in aswell if possible.

My mommy, bless her heart!! Used to use apricot jam, the one with the fruity bits and mixed in a bit of vinnigar and some curry spices and voila, instant Mrs Balls!

My mommy, bless her heart!! Used to use apricot jam, the one with the fruity bits and mixed in a bit of vinnigar and some curry spices and voila, instant Mrs Balls!

My ma het altyd Kweperjellie gemaak...baie lekker saam vleis en lekker op broodjie!

I think it is junipers in English, am I right?

Edited by elizes

I think it is junipers in English, am I right?
The English is quinces.

Hi

Ja verskaf ons ma bietjie van 'n reseppie vir chutney sodat ons ma kan probeer en sien wat gebeur - hoop ma vir die beste!! :oops:

Hi julle

Wat van kerrie boontjies?

Ek maak baie daarvan, se maar as julle 'n resep wil he!

Chutney het ek nog nooit probeer nie..... le ook baie uitjies in dis ook 'n treffer!!!

groete Ineke

Pasta Sauce from Green Living Australia.com.au. It really is good....used red capsicums so the colour is rich. Next time I will peel the tomatoes first..... got lazy.

Spicy Tomato Chutney

2 kg ripe red tomatoes...... I added 3 red capsicums and 5 granny smith apple diced to the pot, then 1/2 cup of currant

5 med onions diced ........ for a fruity taste, and after checking out other recipy decided to add1 cup of raw sugar

1 Tbs salt ......... Do you get it in SA, use white also ok.

1 Tbs fresh grated ginger........

2 tps turmeric

1 Tbs cumin seeds

3 Tbs mustard powder opp

1 tbs mustard seeds

1 tps cayenne pepper

1 1/4 cup brown vinegar

Cook in a large pot, bring to the boil and turn down to med. heat stirring often. Reduce the moisture by cooking it for 1 - 2 hrs, pour into sterilized warm jars, squeese a few drops of lemon juice on top, seal. Do a warm bath treatment by placing sealed bottles in a pot, covering the bottles bring to the boil for 10 mins, just to kill of any nasty bugs. I bought a cheap stock pot $20 and put a round cake wire cooler in the pot so bottles are off the main heat.

Happy cooking.

Edited by chester

Hi there

I would love a Mrs Balls chutney recipe if someone has something similar.

S

I've got a Mrs Balls recipe somewhere, maar probeer bietjie die - njammies :ilikeit:

MONKEY GLAND STEAK A SWEET MARINADE SAUCE

1 kg (about 2½ pounds) rump steak

6 Tbl Mrs Ball's Chutney

6 Tbl Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)

3 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce

1 Tbl white vinegar

3 Tbl Brown Vinegar

2 sliced onions

1 small tin mushrooms, drained

salt and pepper to taste

Cut and season steaks. Mix the remainder of the ingredients together and place the steak

in this sauce. Marinade for at least 1 hour. Grill the steak. At the same time,

simmer the marinade in a saucepan to be poured over the steak when served.

het dit nog nie self gemaak nie, want ons Mrs Balls is nie te duur hier in die UK nie...

(pas mates aan vir minder :ilikeit: )

Makes about 18 bottles (mild)

612 g dried peaches

238 g dried apricots

3 litres dark grape vinegar or more if needed

2 1/2 kg white sugar

500 g onions

120 g salt

75 g cayenne pepper

To make chutney "hot", add 75 g minced hot peppers.

To make peach chutney, leave out the dried apricots and use 850 g dried peaches.

Soak the dried fruits overnight in the vinegar. Then boil in the same vinegar until soft, and drain. Mince in a food mill or chop up with a knife. Add the fruit, sugar (dissolved in a little of the same vinegar) and onions (minced) and boil in the vinegar in a large pot. The amount of vinegar will depend on the consistency. It should not be too runny or too thick, but like the product in the bottle. Do not boil to long, watch the consistency. Add the cayenne pepper and/or hot minced pepper, and boil 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Stir now and then with a wooden spoon to ensure it doesn't burn.

Thanks guys, I smell a curry in the making ... :ilikeit:

Nice thread :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

I have made chutney (similar to Mrs Balls) a couple of times and everyone that has tried it really seems to like it.

Here is the recipe I use :-

Fruit Chutney

• 200 grams dried pears, chopped

• 200 grams dried apricots, chopped

• 200 grams dates, chopped

• 200 grams dried apple rings, chopped

• 200 grams sultanas

• 1 litre water

• 500 milliliters cider vinegar

• 400 grams brown sugar

• 2 milligrams chili powder

• 2 milligrams turmeric

• 2 milligrams freshly grated nutmeg

• 2 milligrams freshly ground ginger

• 1 clove crushed garlic

Place the fruit and water in a large bowl.

Cover the bowl and leave it overnight.

Combine the undrained fruit mixture with the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan.

Simmer over low heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.

Bring to the boil then simmer over low heat uncovered, for about 1 ½ hours, or until thick, stirring occasionally.

Pour into clean warm jars while hot.

Fill to within 1.5 cm of the top and cover tightly with airtight, plastic screw-on or pop-on lids (not metal ones).

Leave to mature in a cool, dry, dark place for 6-8 weeks before use.

Chester - would love your pasta sauce recipe to try - please share it will us

Cheers for now,

Paula

Hi, just got back from the weekend at the farm.

Pasta Sauce from Green Living Australia.com.au (free recipes)

5 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced 1 Tbs salt

5 med onions 1 Tbs dried Oregano

4 med red capsicum 4 Tbs sugar

1 Tbs Basil

Chop tomatoes, onions and capsicum and place in a large pot

Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally

Reduce heat to med and simmer, add salt, basil and oregano.

Add 1 Tps sugar at a time, stirring and test tasting after 15 mins before adding next one.

Some tomatoes are sweeter than others, I personally don't like it to sweet. Continue to cook 2-3 hrs

sauce will reduce as the excess liquid cooks off and become thicker in consistency.

Decant into warm clean jars, squeese a few little lemon juice on top, seal.

Do the hot bath process for killing the nasty's off, Large pot with cake wire thingy to keep bottles from

direct heat, cover with hot water and cook for 15/20 mins. Carefull when taking them out, they bluddy

hot, place on chopping block to cool off.

I used red capsicum as the sauce was a rich red colour, :whome: but you could use green if you wish.

Hi, just got back from the weekend at the farm.

Pasta Sauce from Green Living Australia.com.au (free recipes)

5 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced 1 Tbs salt

5 med onions 1 Tbs dried Oregano

4 med red capsicum 4 Tbs sugar

1 Tbs Basil

Chop tomatoes, onions and capsicum and place in a large pot

Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally

Reduce heat to med and simmer, add salt, basil and oregano.

Add 1 Tps sugar at a time, stirring and test tasting after 15 mins before adding next one.

Some tomatoes are sweeter than others, I personally don't like it to sweet. Continue to cook 2-3 hrs

sauce will reduce as the excess liquid cooks off and become thicker in consistency.

Decant into warm clean jars, squeese a few little lemon juice on top, seal.

Do the hot bath process for killing the nasty's off, Large pot with cake wire thingy to keep bottles from

direct heat, cover with hot water and cook for 15/20 mins. Carefull when taking them out, they bluddy

hot, place on chopping block to cool off.

I used red capsicum as the sauce was a rich red colour, :ilikeit: but you could use green if you wish.

[/quot

dankie vir al die lekker resepte :ilikeit: niks kom by home cooking

• 3 weeks later...

Vandag het ek 'n 10 kg sak pickel onions gekoop vir $8, so raai wat doen ek vanaand, trek skillejies af en more na die Sydney get together gaan ek hulle inle.

Chester, het jy al die resep van klein uitjies met sultanas, tamatiepasta opgekook probeer. dit is in die huisgenoot wenresepte boek maar kan nie nou die naam onthou nie, heerlik saam braaivleis, steaks, worsbroodjies etc. As ek onthou sal ek dit pos.

Groete

Welcome to the forum, jo1 see it's your first post. If you got that recipe please can you post it. Just been into the cupboards looking for glass jars ... I might have to visit my neighbour and see if they got any for me.

Regards Rina