BAIE DINGE - BIETJIE TYD!!

Karen R

:P:lol: Hi aan al die Canberrans!

Dit was vir my so lekker om al die posts te lees onder die "Living in Canberra" topic. Dankie aan almal wat soveel moeite doen met internet sites om te gaan bekyk, en al die fotos + al die info!! Ek was regtig verbaas om te lees dat daar 1600 Suid-Afrikaners is.

Ek, my man Hannes, en die kroos Hein(9), Bianca(8), en Ivan(4) het nog 2 weke in ons huis in SA oor voor die nuwe eienaars intrek.

Vandag was vir ons gesin 'n GROOT dag: Ek is klaar by my werk, en die kinders klaar met skool. Hannes het sy besigheid alreeds Maandag gesluit....nou's ons almal WERKLOOS!! :(:whome::P

Ons hoop om vroeg in April in Canberra aan te land. Ja, HOOP, aangesien ons nog wag vir my visa. Ek is gesponsor vir 'n 457 deur die National Capital Private Hospital (Gaan daar in die ICU werk).

Ek het al gaan loer na die verskillende sites van laerskole en kleuterskole - maar dis nogal moeilik om regtig 'n idee te kry van wat aangaan. Waar's julle kinders in? Watter areas kan julle aanbeveel om in te woon?

Hannes het nog nie werk daar nie. Hy sal maar begin soek na die kinders in 'n skool is. Weet iemand iets van Dental Labs in Canberra?

Ek sien vreeslik uit daarna om met ons nuwe lewe te begin en actually met oop vensters 'n hele nag deur te slaap!!

Groete

Karen

Hi Karen

Wou nog se, baie geluk en ek is bly jy het die werk by NCPH gekry. Jy sal inpas soos 'n handskoen daar - hulle laat mens welkom voel, rerig lekker mense om mee saam te werk en stuur groete vir hulle sodra jy daar aankom. Jy sal nooit spyt wees nie. Baie rustig en Layed-back, maar hulle gee jou baie geleentheid om verder te leer, ens.

Daar is 'n kleuterskole naby die hospitaal in Garran:

ABC Learning Centre:

ADDRESS:

15 Robson St

Garran ACT 2605

PHONE:

(02) 6281 1522

Woden Valley Childcare Centre:

ADDRESS:

1 Dann Close

Garran ACT 2605

PHONE:

(02) 6285 2953

Hierdie een is by die Hospitaal, hoop jy kan hulle altwee daar inkry:

ADDRESS:

Garran Primary School

Gilmore Crescent

Garran ACT 2605

PHONE:

(02) 6282 2644

SERVICES OFFERED:

Before School Care

After School Care

Jy moet vir Leaane vra of sy kan help, sy sal julle in die regte rigting wys. Anders, kan julle by The Canberra Hospitaal probeer - daar sal werk wees vir hom. Ook privaat maatskappye daar rond - ek het al voorheen gekyk na plekke, sal weer so bietjie op die Net rondloer... Hy kan solank kyk op die volgende link: http://dental_laboratories-canberra.bdau.com/

Groetnis

Madelein

Edited by Madelein

LOVE the KLIMT!

.Battiss. :P

JIP!!! Always nice to find other KLIMT-LOVERS!! :ilikeit:

Karen

Hi Madelein!

Baie dankie! Die inligting is GREAT!

Ek is so spyt dat jy nou in Brissie is - Ek sou jou sooo graag wou ontmoet(face-to-face)

:cry:

Karen XX

JIP!!! Always nice to find other KLIMT-LOVERS!! :cry:

Karen

Karen and Battiss, I had to go google!!!! To all that also don't know, Gustav Klimt was a painter. The painting depicted is "Stocletfrieze : Life Tree, 1905 - 09"

See the forum is VERY educational!!

Karen and Battiss, I had to go google!!!! To all that also don't know, Gustav Klimt was a painter. The painting depicted is "Stocletfrieze : Life Tree, 1905 - 09"

See the forum is VERY educational!!

Very balanced!! I agree!! :cry:

Hi Nilo,

Lol.. smiled at your curiosity. Good for you (or should that be ON you, mate? Klimt's paintings are just awesome.. totally brilliant. Did my thesis on him..

Hope you Googled Battiss while you were at it! <just kidding>

What we won't learn on this forum.. :lol:

Hi Nilo,

Hope you Googled Battiss while you were at it! <just kidding>

So now of course i had to go google....

Walter Wahl Battiss (January 6, 1906 - August 20, 1982) was a South African artist, generally considered the foremost South African abstract painter and known as the creator of the quirky "Fook Island" concept.

Born into English Methodist family in the Karoo town of Somerset East, Battiss first became interested in archaeology and primitive art as a young boy after moving to Koffiefontein in 1917. In 1919 the Battiss family settled in Fauresmith where he completed his education, matriculating in 1923. In 1924 he became a clerk in the Magistrates Court in Rustenburg. His formal art studies started in 1929 at the Witwatersrand Technical College (drawing and painting), followed by the Johannesburg Training College (a Teacher’s Diploma) and etching lessons. Battiss continued his studies while working as a magistrate’s clerk, and finally obtained his Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts at University of South Africa at the age of 35.

We NEVER stop learning!! I am extremely inquisitive!! LOL!! Will ook almal se besigheid weet!!??

I always tell my children, now adults, it's the stupid people that don't ask questions!!! So I'm very very clever!! :thumbdown:

Also just googled Battiss, no wonder he "invented" Fook Island, Seychelles is BEAUTIFUL and very inspirational!!

Edited by Nilo

A few years ago there was a Battiss museum in Pretoria. I think it was his house that was conveted. One of my jobs in RSA was to make sure that the rural roads in Northern Pretoria was in a good condition. One day, while on a inspectiion, I came accross a "Fook Island" The entrance was nicely graded and I could see the road leading to the house was graded too. I knew that one of my contractors must have done a "PJ" again. At the gate the there was a sign that said " Tresspassers will be shot on sight" As I drove to the house the the road was gaurded by schulptures of all shapes and odd sizes. Made from scrap and what have you. The owner came out with a shotgun in his hand. It turned out that I knew his father and the shotgun was put away. He was an admirer of Battiss and his small holding was dedicated to the memory of Battiss. He had constant problems with theft because this small holding was near Hammanskraal. I wonder if this "Fook Island" still exists?

Hi All!

It's sooo nice to talk about good things like art. It really gives me that good old fuzzy warm feeling!!

Karen I actually noticed how little I know about art!!! Baie baie sleg!!

You guys did however teach me about 2 artists of whom I only knew the name of Battiss.

Karen: It's sooo nice to talk about good things like art. It really gives me that good old fuzzy warm feeling!!

Nilo: Karen I actually noticed how little I know about art!!! Baie baie sleg!!

You guys did however teach me about 2 artists of whom I only knew the name of Battiss.

Hallo to you both AND Jan Stoof..

Yes, it's great to NOT be thinking and talking VISAS all the time.. even if just for a day.

Smiled at your "scary encounter" Jan - it seems to typical of the old man.

Nilo, Batt was also an art teacher at Pta Boys High and is fondly remembered by his students I believe.

I suddenly remembered something yesterday: almost 10 years ago, I bought my first, signed Battiss print from...

a guy immigrating to OZ! He was selling the kitchen sink, you name it, and "this painting" was hanging on his wall and he had NO

idea what and by whom it was (left by an old flame or roommate?). I made him an offer (so ridiculous I thought he never accept!)

He was just so delighted that I would take if off his hands.. the delight was all mine :thumbdown:

And I think it's time (this time around) :ilikeit: that "this little painting" gets to see Oz!