Pafo: From Cyprus hopefully to Australia

Pafo

Dear All!!

I am very happy to see a website where South Africans are very helpful. I'm originally from SA, Joburg, and moved to Cyprus in 1998, when I was 17. I've just finished my hotel degree and am very interested in migrating to Australia, as Cyprus chooses to remain ignorant, and since things are not working out on so many levels for me here. Lets just say Cyprus is a very good retirement place, and is slowly evolving into geriatric park. Not that I have anything against peaceful retirement, lets just say I'm 25 and not 85. Hence, I hope in the Lord that Australia will be better, for professional development and social integration. The place that I intend to go to is Perth, but I will be going on a working holiday visa and then apply for the SIR visa since hotel management is demand in certain parts of WA. As a general question how is Perth, I heard some fantastic things how awesome it is, anyways I could be dissilusioned, I heard Australia is very advanced on so many levels. What about Bunbury and the South West?

Thank you for accepting me into your forum regards to everyone!!

There's quite a number of fellow forumites who live in Perth and I'm sure they'll have more to add than myself who have visited Perth only once during a holiday. We LOVED Perth but prefer the "buzz" of Sydney (which comes with a huge price tag, but nonetheless....). We live in Sydney and my son now studies and lives in Perth after backpacking there and decided to stay there - so it must be something!! (Being young like yourself & all.....) Hope this gives you an indication as to your social concerns.

Welcome Pafo, I trust you will get many questions answered here!

We live in Melbourne, I have just used Perth as a gateway in and out of Australia, so cannot delivery any comment about it.

I can tell you that Melbourne is a swell place to stay. They say if your are bored in Melbourne you are tired of life.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Mara

Hi Pafo,

With regards to Aus being much more advanced; that is a whole new debate. In some areas, yes - they have broadband in the regional areas! In other areas, not so much difference when it comes to advancement. It also depends on what you are specifically referring to. The food and hotel services I have experienced here, are in my eyes, more or less the same, and in some cases, way behind South Africa. But I am only a consumer, so I cannot tell you any more than that!

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Pafo,

Welcome to our forum, yip it is a helpful and supportive bunch you'll experience here. Don't know WA much but I've heard so many good things! I'm sure you'll be delighted when you do your working holiday thing.

See ya later!

C'BUG

Hi Pafo,

With regards to Aus being much more advanced; that is a whole new debate. In some areas, yes - they have broadband in the regional areas! In other areas, not so much difference when it comes to advancement. It also depends on what you are specifically referring to. The food and hotel services I have experienced here, are in my eyes, more or less the same, and in some cases, way behind South Africa. But I am only a consumer, so I cannot tell you any more than that!

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Dreamcatcher

You live in regional WA...which part, are you in the South West, like Bunbury, Mandurah....Maragaret River? I've heavily researched the DIMIA website, and at the moment I don't meet the passmark for PR, I dont have 2 years work experience, so I'm opting for the SIR regional visa. I live in a regional area here in Cyprus. The province is known as Pafos with a population of 48000 people and some parts are very sparsely populated. I intend to go to WA on a working holiday visa and once there try get a hotel to nominate me for an occupational trainee visa, in Perth firstly and then try the regional areas, because I can apply for an SIR after an occupational/ holiday visa. Are there many hotels in regional WA? I was trying to find some over the net and it seems there are very few. I don't understand how the government of WA can list all the occupations that are in demand and label them as skill shortages for the SIR and in the mean time not offer any vacancies. How are the people in these regional areas? Are they very helpful? Clicky? Open minded?

Hi Pafo,

There are many hotels in the regional areas. Have you tried doing an accomodation search? That might give you a better idea, other than searching for them from an employment point of view.

I live in the Goldfields area, which is quite well known for some of it's historic, as well as more modern hotels and restaurants. There are constant vacancies, and the people here are helpful and friendly. Try the website for the GEDC, to get more info about migration to this area. Sometimes you get a "clicky" lot, but you will find them everywhere. I would say that it is much more an exception than the rule here. It takes some time to be accepted in the workplace, but in the regional areas, this is much easier, as there is a constant shift in population. This makes it a nice place for a foreigner to start out. I work in volunteering, and thus come into contact with many newcomers.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Pafo,

There are many hotels in the regional areas. Have you tried doing an accomodation search? That might give you a better idea, other than searching for them from an employment point of view.

I live in the Goldfields area, which is quite well known for some of it's historic, as well as more modern hotels and restaurants. There are constant vacancies, and the people here are helpful and friendly. Try the website for the GEDC, to get more info about migration to this area. Sometimes you get a "clicky" lot, but you will find them everywhere. I would say that it is much more an exception than the rule here. It takes some time to be accepted in the workplace, but in the regional areas, this is much easier, as there is a constant shift in population. This makes it a nice place for a foreigner to start out. I work in volunteering, and thus come into contact with many newcomers.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Dreamcatcher!!

Wow!! You live in the Goldfields-Esperance region!! My occupation is in demand in that area, as well as, the South West, and Wheatbelt. Isn't it a bit too far from Perth though? I don't know much about these regional areas so I'm completely dependent on what people tell me. When DIMIA advertises for people to settle in Australia's regional areas they put a pic of a windmill out in the desert as a website for example, which evokes feelings of extreme loneliness and isolation. It feels as if I'm going to be migrating to the boendoes. They don't show pics of where the people work, live, shop, and have fun. Having lived in a small town like Pafo for the past 8 years I don't think I can take the lack of stimulation anymore. Theres absolutely nothing for the young here, like on a professional level, theres no career development or promotional oppurtunities here. Over here its more of who you know than what you know. So I was thinking Bunbury, which is closer to Perth, and can also be accessed via train. Im originally from Joburg, and miss the buzz of a big cosmopolitan city which is diverse in so many ways. And Perth looks awesome, so you can see why its difficult for me settling in here, I'm afraid I might go to Oz and find another Pafo, any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Yours appreciatively

Pafo

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there Pafo,

Welcome to our forum. I'm always happy to see a fellow Jo'burger !! Sorry, I'm no wizz on Perth either but can tell you if it's buzz and young ppl you are after, Sydney is also a very nice choice !

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hi Pafo,

If you are from Jo'burg, you might even find Perth a little slow for you, even though it is a huge city. Life in Australia seems to always be going at half speed :offtopic: I don't feel that being far from perth is an issue. We have everything we need close by. And travelling is also not a problem, there are several options of travel available.

If you look at the thread "shady agents" you'll find some pics I've posted of the area. I have yet to see a windmill! Most areas are heavily tuned to youth and children. There are so many opportunities just waiting to be grabbed. Wish I was a child in Aus.... so much to do, so many choices.

Greetings,

Dreamy

I have to agree with Dreamy, in some ways we have also found Aus to be a bit behind... I live in Rockingham, but my work is on THE OTHER side of perth, so i travel quite a lot through perth, travel is not a problem, i use transperth - the busses, and trains - and its really good. They usually are on time and if not, u get free rides..whoohoo!! I always wish they are late but thats just me... :oops:

The parks in perth is quite good, but if you are into clubbing etc Fremantle and Northbridge are the places to go! (not far from perth). Theres the cat busses in the CBD of perth thats free, sooooo nice... and if you go to .. i think its murray square on a sunday, you'll hear quite a bit of afrikaans speaking people there!

And at the Leederville Hotel - aka boktown - , most of the South african and zimbabwe "reunions" are held

One thing thats GREAT , the traffic in perth is not as rushed as it is in Jo'burg. But its a pain to go for your licence, i have to start from scratch now....

Well, if you have any more Q's, just give us a shout!

:offtopic:

I have to agree with Dreamy, in some ways we have also found Aus to be a bit behind... I live in Rockingham, but my work is on THE OTHER side of perth, so i travel quite a lot through perth, travel is not a problem, i use transperth - the busses, and trains - and its really good. They usually are on time and if not, u get free rides..whoohoo!! I always wish they are late but thats just me... :whome:

The parks in perth is quite good, but if you are into clubbing etc Fremantle and Northbridge are the places to go! (not far from perth). Theres the cat busses in the CBD of perth thats free, sooooo nice... and if you go to .. i think its murray square on a sunday, you'll hear quite a bit of afrikaans speaking people there!

And at the Leederville Hotel - aka boktown - , most of the South african and zimbabwe "reunions" are held

One thing thats GREAT , the traffic in perth is not as rushed as it is in Jo'burg. But its a pain to go for your licence, i have to start from scratch now....

Well, if you have any more Q's, just give us a shout!

:)

Hi All!!

Wow!! Rockingham!! I know all those regional areas are extremely beautiful! I don't mind if things in Perth are at half speed, I heard that its quite behind compared to other towns in Oz, but I don't think it can be as bad as the place I'm currently in. The Greeks here don't exhibit any vision for change and improvement, thats what I can't grapple with, it seems that Australia is advanced on so many levels, their health system, educational system, their laws, transportation everything seems awesome. In this letter I'd like to be a bit bold and ask everyone, how are Australians with people from abroad, is discrimination and prejudice an issue? I know that Australia has a national holiday called Harmony Day which celebrates the peaceful coexistence of all nations living within her. What I can remember from SA I had friends from so many different nationalities and creeds, and I've come to Cyprus and the people here can't associate with me because I didnt go to school with them, go to the same college, army, or kindegarten, they can't find any connection with me, hence they can't tolerate anyone that was born and raised somewhere else and has a different mentality to theirs.

Discrimination is rife here but the government, or people would never admit it. Well theres all types of discrimination, racial and sexual mostly. If you're a woman forget about getting a promotion, a high position in a company or any career advancement.

Another reason why I can't adapt here is because Cyprus is a breeding ground for juvenile delinquents. Intellectual conversation is very hard to come by, forget those wonderful wildlife programs they use to show on m-net, here our TV channels are flanked with Latin American soapies, so forget about learning anything new. I love my wildlife programs as much as I love my sitcoms, seven years ago they had started screening Will and Grace which I thought was hilarious, to my surprise it was abruptly censored because it was labelled as 'innapropriate viewing', so I really need to catch up on Will and Grace, 8 years catching up. I don't understand this country at all, they won't screen programs like Will and Grace but they'll show extremely violent movies night after night.

To make my point clear about the young people here I will give an example. I work at a hotel on the coast, I'm a pool waiter, and come across people from so many walks of life. There were two dutch boys staying at the hotel with their families. They spoke and made friends with all the guests around them, whether they were young, or old. I watched them drink coffee and converse with people older them, swim and play with the kids in the pool. I found these boys absolutely amazing, because the last time i encountered such kids was in SA. No way would young Greek kids associate with you if you were old, or let alone speak to you, or play with your kids in the swimming pool, you would be invisible to them.

The reason for all these questions is that, I have to prove my father wrong. My father uses the expression 'its the same where ever you go in the world,' and I refuse to believe it.

Regards to all!!

Pafo

Hi Pafo

What a breath of fresh air you are! (That is a meant as a compliment)

Mostly Aussies are pretty tolerant, after all, Australia is mostly put together of immigrants, one way or the other. I have never lived in Perth, only in Brisbane and Melbourne. I found in Brisbane that they were very clicky, unless you were a Queenslander you did not really count. In Melbourne it is the exact opposite, it does not seem to matter who you are, just what you can do!

Good luck with your endeavours!

Mara