CPU: Hi from Canada

CPU

Hi all,

I am a member of SACanada, and have been in Canada over 8 years now, and hope to find information about Australia, and chat to people in the Land of Down Under or Kangaroo land :D

I am planning my vacation trip to Brisbane to visit my brother and his family, and a friend in Sydney. Hendie, thank you for making the new Australian forum happen :)

Hi from a hot and sticky-yip-and very sunny Queensland.

Whats the weather in Calgary like today?

I have always maintained that the immigration process is even more difficult for those that migrate to the Northern hemisphere. Do you think this true?

How have you adapted?

Good to have you here!

Hi from a hot and sticky-yip-and very sunny Queensland.

Whats the weather in Calgary like today?

I have always maintained that the immigration process is even more difficult for those that migrate to the Northern hemisphere. Do you think this true?

How have you adapted?

Good to have you here!

Hi Queensland Girl,

Thank you for the welcome, the weather today in Calgary will be sunny and will reach a high temperature of about 11 degrees Celsius, or should I say “going be” as it is now only 2:30 AM mountain standard time, Saturday morning. The Calgary winter has been very mild and snowed only three times since Novermber 05 (2 to 5 CM), but that may change in the coming week and going into deep freeze :( . I hear that Queensland is very humid during the summer :( , and in winter the temperature is as low as 20 degrees Celcius :huh: , the last time I felt sticky humid when I was in Florida, Disney World.

Not sure which immigration process is more difficult, when I applied as a principle applicant to Canada, the point system was 70 or higher, compared to 110 for Australia. I did find it easier for me to immigrate to Canada at that time as they were looking for IT professionals; the process from start to end was approximately 6 months when I received my Permanent Residence paper.

Personally from experience, I adapted pretty well in Canada as my attitude was that I needed to survive and adapt, and was willing to start from the bottom and work my way up, the weather does not bother me at all (Keeps the bugs away :D ). Within three months I found my first job with a small company than two months later found another job with a large international firm as a Systems Administrator, and occasional act as a Java/VB programmer on specialized projects. I am currently working towards on to becoming an Information Systems Security Auditor in processes and controls. I deal alot with people in my line of work, and find that Canadian born people are friendly and reserve, it does take a while to make friends, and what I did notice is that they don't like people with arrogant attitudes, it can be people locally, abroad and people immigrating here. It is all about good attitude that one can adapt and go with the flow in their new country.

PS: I always thought that Australia was a small island <_< , how wrong I was as a Canadian friend of mine visited Australia for three months, and she said that the flight between Perth and Sydney was about 4 to 5 hours, just like Vancouver to Toronto.

Welcome! Just shout if you have any questions.

Hi Dedrei,

Thanks for the Welcome, and I will definitely ask questions :) Good luck on your great trek to the Land of Down Under.

Edited by CPU

Welcome to our "hot as hell" and (at the moment) very dry corner of the world! <_<

Welcome to our "hot as hell" and (at the moment) very dry corner of the world! ;)

Dankie vir die welkom Riekie, baie koud in Calgary vandaag, die temperatuur is -27 degrees celcius en die wind chill factor is plus/minus -40 :lol:

PS: Just brushing up on my Afrikaans :lol:

Edited by CPU

Ja, die Kanadese is heel behep met hulle "wind chill". Dis nou kwansuis hoe koud dit is as jy die wind ook in ag neem. Ek dink persoonlik dis maar net hulle manier om vir almal te laat dink hulle is baie taf om dié koue te weerstaan! En is hulle nie behep met temperatuur nie! Toe ons hier aangekom het het dit ons opgeval hoeveelkeer hulle op die radio aankondig hoe warm of hoe koud dit nou is, dit was erger as die tyd! En orals waar daar op geboue horlosies is, wissel dit met die temperatuur ook!

Kyk, ek het nie geweet hoe koud KOUD is tot ek dit self in Calgary in die hartjie van winter ervaar het nie! Selfs ons asem op ons baadjies het gevries!!! Ja, en ons moes ook altyd hoor van die "wind chill" - nie dat dit enigsins 'n verskil maak nie - vrek koud is vrek koud, maak nie saak op watter manier nie! Daar is ook 'n ding met die chunook gewees (spelling??) - as die wolke so 'n snaakse kombers op die Rockies vorm....

Sorry CPU, I forgot my manners! Should have posted in English. On the other hand, this might help you with those Afrikaans skills of yours..... :lol: (Not too bad I must say!)

When are you planning your visit to "Down Under" for? Have you ever been here before? You should come in Summer and experience the scorchers we have! Coming from Canada, it will be even worse for you!

Canada is amazingly beautiful & we'll definitely go back for a visit - even in winter!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Riekie,

Yup, reading posts in Afrikaans will help improve my skills :wub: as Afrikaans was my second language during my school days. Purchased my airline ticket a couple of days ago and will be visiting Australia in June 2006 to visit family and friends, and yes it will be my first time, I am hoping to avoid the scorcher :wacko::P If time permits I will also visit New Zealand.

Yes, Canada is a beautiful country and so is Australia :o

If time permits I will also visit New Zealand.

Ahhhh Mate, you can't come Down Under and not visit New Zealand..... :wacko:

CPU, coming to Sydney, there are a few "must sees" and lots of other stuff to do. How many days are you planning on being in Sydney? I can maybe make a few suggestions of what to see & do depending on the length of your visit, but for now I can give you the cost of most of the attractions & activities (sorry, it's in Afrikaans): Opera House & Sydney Harbour bridge, both landmarks of both Sydney and Australia - as you may be well aware of, is free to look at for as long as you like...... :wacko:

Syney Olympic Park = Gratis

Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre Swim all Day = $6, General Admission = $3

Sydney Olympic Park Archery (1.5 hour lessons & equipment) = $20

Tarronga Zoo = $27 (Pakket wat Ferrie en Kabelkar insluit = $33.50)

Akwarium = $23.40 (Pakket wat Ferrie insluit = $29.10)

Luna Park = Gratis (Betaal vir ritte) (Ritte kos 1 tot 6 “lunas”, 1 Luna = $1 maar hoe meer jy koop, hoe minder betaal jy bv. 30 Lunas = $20)

Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon Lookout (360 Views of Sydney, Opera House, Darling Harbour, Circular Quay) = $8

St Mary’s Cathedral = Gratis

Chinese Gardens = $6

Digiridoof Vertoning (30 min’s) = Gratis

Powerhouse Museum = $10

Sydney Observatory = $15

Wall Climbing (Gear included) = $25

Putt Putt = $9

Ice Skating (Incl. Skate Hire, 2 hours) = $14

Imax = $16

Fliek = $14

Sydney Operahouse Tours (1 hour) = $23

Harboursight Cruises: 1 hour = $18, 2.5 hours = $24

Evening Harbour Lights Cruise 1.5 hours = $22

Ghost Tours = $29

Museums = Gratis tot $12

Sydney Tower (250m hoog) = $22 (Sluit ‘n 3D Show oor Oz in)

Maritime Museum = Gratis (Betaal apart om op & in oorlogsekepe, duikbote ens te mag gaan: $10 - $30)

Twilight Helicopter Tours over Sydney & Attractions with Sparkling Wine 25 min’s

= $249

Tandem Hang Gliding (20 – 30 minutes) = $165

Parasailing = $69 (Passenger on boat $15)

Leisure Boat Hire (30 min’s) = $45 and (60 min’s) = $65

Kyak Hire (60 min’s) = $15 Single or $29 Double

Speedboat Adventures (30 min’s) = $55 or (45 min’s) = $65

Jet Boating Thrill Rides (30 min’s) = $50

Aqua Latino Dinner Cruise with on-board entertainment & dancing = $66

Harbour Bridge Climb = $160 (Twilight Climb = $225)

Opera House & Sydney Harbour bridge, both landmarks of both Sydney and Australia - as you may be well aware of, is free to look at for as long as you like...... :D

Harbour Bridge Climb = $160 (Twilight Climb = $225)

If you do the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb you may see the Sky Tower (Auckland) in the distance. It has to be a clear day though. <_<:D:D:P:P

CPU, coming to Sydney, there are a few "must sees" and lots of other stuff to do. How many days are you planning on being in Sydney? I can maybe make a few suggestions of what to see & do depending on the length of your visit, but for now I can give you the cost of most of the attractions & activities (sorry, it's in Afrikaans): Opera House & Sydney Harbour bridge, both landmarks of both Sydney and Australia - as you may be well aware of, is free to look at for as long as you like...... :D

Riekie, Baie dankie vir die informasie 36_2_25.gif

Ahhhh Mate, you can't come Down Under and not visit New Zealand..... ;)

NZHigh,

Yes, sorry you are right 36_2_46v.gif

I was able to schedule New Zealand in my trip :D:D

Edited by CPU