Making your own biltong

zappa

Biltong, coke and pistachios were my staple work-meals in SA I'd often make the biltong myself using a bought spice mix and I'd spice the meat and freeze and when I needed I'd hang in the dryer at intervals of a couple of days to ensure I always had fresh (natterig en vetterig!)

Biltong here also costs quite a bit and there is nowhere close to me that sells and I need to make a plan.

Anyone else out there ever make there own biltong?

Anyone know of a good spice mix?

Anyone know where I can get a good spice mix here?

Hi Zappa,

Like they say in English... different strokes for different folkes... and that is the same with biltong spice!

I have found many internet sites regarding biltong, and they use various spices, but the most used is ground coriander and black peper!

Then I have recently played with other flavours, I bought a tin of spice from Coles made by Zest called Mama spice (or something like that) Man that was lekker chili bites!

You can also try SATOOZ, they sell packets of spice, haven't tried it!

HTH

D :ilikeit:

Have a butcher's here: Biltong step-by-step

Also has a good example of a "biltong box" :ilikeit:

Het al heelwat kere biltong gemaak en lyk my mens perfekteer dit na jou smaak na die 5de keer se maak. Ek gebruik die Kook en Geniet se resep vir Pekel, dit werk maar die beste. Het dit omgesit vir 10kg vleis (sonder die vet gewig). Mens kan die salpeter by enige slaghuis gaan kry - hulle noem dit hier Pineapple Compound for Corned Meat. Dit het ons maar $2 gekos en dit hou al vir 'n jaar. Ons hang die biltong op 'n klere droograk, hou dit in die garage onder 'n net en laat dit vir 2tot 3 dae onder die "fan" droog. Ons werk nog aan die biltong box... Na die biltong droog genoeg is, pak ons dit in 'n houer en sit dit in die vrieskas en gebruik soos nodig.

Hier is ons aangepasde resep vir 10kg vleis (ons gebruik rump steak)

350ml sout (fynsout)

125ml geelsuiker (raw sugar)

7,5ml salpeter (pineapple compound)

15ml koeksoda

Koljander (hier kry mens net heel, so dit kan in 'n sakkie fyn gerol word met koekroller)

Asyn

Metode:

Meng al die droee bestandele bymekaar

Vryf asyn in op vleisstukke (ek gebruik sommer 'n bakkie asyn, doop my hande daarin en vryf elke stuk met asyn - die vleis moenie in die asyn gedoop word nie)

Vryf speserye op vleisstukke

Sorg dat die kleiner vleisstukke bo in die bak le

Laat oornag staan in die mengsel, draai dit die volgende oggend en laat nog 'n verdere 4 ure in die pekel le.

Daarna kan die stukke gehang word en gedroog word.

Hoop julle geniet dit.

Groetnis uit Canberra...

Madelein

Edited by Madelein

Reg mense, ek is sommer nou geinspireer .... hierdie week is biltongmaak week. Die goeie vleis is juis so lekker goedkoop hier by ons in Adelaide. :ilikeit: Madelein, watse asyn gebruik jy? Is dit die bruin asyn?

Ja, daai ou Kook en Geniet is darem bobaas - myne is 50 jaar oud en val heeltemal uitmekaar, maar ek gebruik dit amper elke dag ... :lol:

Ek gebruik die goedkoopste wit asyn, dit werk net so goed. Gaan dit volgende keer probeer met bruin asyn, kyk of dit die smaak so bietjie anders maak. Weet julle ouens nie waar mens 'n elektriese kerwer kan kry nie? Ons het nog die hout biltongkerwer, maar wil graag die biltong dunner kerf vir die lekker plaasbrood. Of selfs so bietjie biltongpoeier maak vir die snackeroo's.

Groetnis

Madelein

Hallo julle!

Soos ek vroeer gesê het is daar baie verskillende biltong resepte! Ek het die volgende klompie op die net gekry!

Aris's Biltong Picture Gallery

This is a step by step guide on how to make Biltong

Mark Blumberg's South African Biltong Recipe Page

Biltong Makers

Brigids Haven :ilikeit: Ek gebruik hierdie metode. Ek speel so biedjie met die smaak, het die koljander & peper vervang met die Zest spesery.

Madelein,

Ek het gedink om vir my 'n kerwer te kry soos wat mens kry by die slaghuise in RSA, Catering Equipment Supply voer dit in, maar dis effens duur... so ek hou maar by hand model...

D :lol:

Thanx Danie

I saw that electric one, really good priced. Went surfing a fair bit, but they have a reasonable price. Biltongmania, but the price of meat is really deer (aussie language) in Canberra! $10/kg difference from the price of Blacktown...

Regards

Madelein

• 3 weeks later...

Kangaroovleis maak regtig lekker biltong! Ons maak sulke kleintjies - word gouer droog en lekker bros om te eet.

thanks to all that replied.....i'm gonna make a dryer and start making biltong this weekend!

Well, after all the encouragement, we have tried our hand at the woodwork, and the biltongmaking, and I'm proud to say that both was a success. Our second lot of biltong is steadily drying, and we even experimented with a bit of chilli this time. MMMmmmmm....

I'm really going to try the kangaroo meat! Sounds great.

Greetings,

Dreamy

• 2 months later...

Ok, I have bought all the ingredients for making biltong. Hubby made a biltong boks yesterday.

Went to the butcher and asked for pineapplle compound and told me that you can't buy this from butchers anymore, some law passed or something cause some of the public used too much in the meat or something and the wholesalers put it in the meat normally themselves, anyways and said that you might get it from the wholesale butchers. Ok, what if you buy silverside meat that says "Corned", so does this mean I am buying silverside that already has this thingy in that we need for the biltong. Is it enough, or do I need to go find a butcher with uncorned silverside and the pineapple compound?

Also I was looking at the meat, and thinking :ilikeit: which way is the grain going, cause everybody is saying cut along the grain. Hmmm, I can see the picture already, me and hubby make a totally stuff up of this biltong thing. With my luck and all.

Any advise from the experienced who have tried and tested...

Hi Dedrei,

With our first try, we just bought a piece of silverside, cut it in strips (grain? what grain? :) ) we did not worry too much about the grain. Now we just ask the butcher to cut it for us. Then we just make a mixture of salt, black pepper, roasted, ground coriander (heat it in a non stick pan until you can smell it, then use a mortar & pestle to crush it - not too fine). I even add a few shakes of the Great Shakes braai spice, and a teensy bit of garlic flakes. Forget about the pineapple compound. I'm sure it's good, but if you can't get it, it does not matter.

Wait, let me put it like this:

560 g fine salt

125 ml brown sugar

25 ml bicarbonate of soda (helps to make the biltong tender)

12.5 ml ground black pepper

125 ml coarsely ground coriander

a dash of black pepper and garlic if you want

anything that smells nice and biltongy to you :lol:

This is enough for 12kg's of meat.

Dip the meat in vinegar, any vinegar, put it in a bowl to drip off the most, then cover your meat in the spices, don't be scared to put too much on, it looks like a lot of salt, but it's fine! The bicarb will react with the vinegar, and make a white foam on the meat, this is fine. I just started with an empty container, laid a piece of meat in it, and sprinkled salt, then the next and so on, all on top of each other. Leave it like that for a while, half an hour or so. Then hang! If you cut thin enough strips, about 2cm thick by 5cm wide, it should be edible within 2-4 days if you like it slightly moist. :)

Have fun and don't be scared to experiment.

Greetings,

Dreamy