Embarrassed to be a South african?

choog

Guest natalie3

I dont know hey...i grew up english (1/2 scot 1/2 slovak)...and the afrikaans just LOVE me...my hubby is as afrikaans as can be... :rolleyes:

Granted..i went to a private school...so even during apartheid mized with all races and creeds..

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dax

• Blossom

• Red

• choog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read this whole thread and spent some time thinking about whether i just wanted to close it and not comment but eventually knew that i had to get something off my chest.

I am not embarassed to be South African. As i have said one other threads i will always be South African and I feel more emotional attachment to the new South African flag then to the old. I will go to all lengths to fit in with, within Oz, but will still feel an emotional tug of "Home!" every time i see the SA flag anywhere!

What does amaze me is that white South Africans are so oblivious to the role that they placed in creating the diaster that we now detest! We created apartheid, we benefited from it, we only let it go when we could not possibly maintain it and now we are reaping what we sowed! You see i am one of the small handful of people who did benefit from apartheid. I could not even vote in 1994 as i was 17, but i know that as a white person i had a better life because of apartheid. I went to better schools, my father got better jobs, i had a better life because i was white. Furthermore, i am pretty sure that my parents voted for the Nats. I know that no- one else did but come on the apartheid regime didnt just spontaneously arise and maintain itself for 40+ years all on its lonesome.

So i am saddened by what is happening in our county, my country. I love this country dearly, on a base level. But we have all collectively created this reality that we are living. This country has a history of violence, human rights abuse, destuction and crime. We are now on the other end of the stick and dont like it.

So, i am doing what i need to do to escape this legacy that has been handed to me. I refuse to hand it onto my children. The only way i know how is to leave and escape the guilt and fear that is part of living in SA. However, even at my most angry moment, i know that i (as a beneficiary) was part of the problem.

Hope i am not lynched, but that is my truth.

Al

Well said Allison.

It is a complex issue with complex emotions. We could probably all write books about this.

However, even knowing we (forefathers) created and maintained apartheid, there can be no acceptance of blame for the way the current leaders are ruining the country.

I hope to have some fireside chats with Saffers in Aus about these very issues.

Choog,well done on this post

I have ploughed through the whole thing but sadly could not understand the Afrikaans bits so thanks to those who are first language Afrikaaners writing in english,I take my hat off to you all.Being an immigrant myself,I know first hand what it is like to try and be accepted in a strange land(arrived 1993).Having had no dealings with the apartheid era I cannot shoulder any blame for the past but have on occasion been at the raw end of people assuming I did ...just because I am white ! IMHO this country is beyond repair in any of our lifetimes so lets all do what we have to do for us and our families and use our talents and integrity in a place where we can all hopefully be accepted without prejudice of creed or colour.

What astounds me is the open arm acceptance that a person of asian descent can have BEE status over a person whos family has been here for 13 generations PULEEEEEEASE if someone can explain the logic of that please do.

This has got to have been one of the most thought provoking,meaningful posts I have read and in some strange way can help us all to overcome our deamons and doubts.

VIVA AUSTRALIA

Guest natalie3

Im not ashamed to be south african...never will be, because in my heart i never was south african...i dont fit in with any culture here,,,i married a afrikaner, and the afrikaans have always been good to me, but im still the rooinek and still the "catholic"...im still "white"...so im still linked to apartheid..a regime that I had stuf-all to do with...private schooling protected me from that growing up...my dad was not a citizen so he didnt vote for anyone...let alone the Nats..

im tired of hearing that i benefitted from apartheid...im STill unemployed...great benefit!

I really hope that once i get to oz i dont have to put up with the constant reminding of a regime that ended when i was 13 years old...i want to start fresh..where the future is more important than the past....

Allison

I take my hat off to you and salute you with a mexican wave... I admire your honesty and when our visas comes through, I would like to buy you a 'flat white' when you are next in Melbourne.

We are an Indian family from Cape Town playing the waiting game to live in OZ...

I must admit, since 1994, I could not find a single white person that voted for the Nats and and yet the NATs were running SA for over 40years..

Well done girl.. spoken like a true human... enjoy Oz.. it's a great country (It has it's fair share of problems)

Regards

JoefromSA

Allison

I take my hat off to you and salute you with a mexican wave... I admire your honesty and when our visas comes through, I would like to buy you a 'flat white' when you are next in Melbourne.

We are an Indian family from Cape Town playing the waiting game to live in OZ...

I must admit, since 1994, I could not find a single white person that voted for the Nats and and yet the NATs were running SA for over 40years..

Well done girl.. spoken like a true human... enjoy Oz.. it's a great country (It has it's fair share of problems)

Regards

JoefromSA

Joe, I will make sure to look you up in Melbourne for that drink! I am sure that Oz is going to give us another package of problems, but one thing that we South Africans can be proud of is that we can cope with most things! SA is really the school of hard knocks! LOL! Good luck to you and your family!

Although maybe as a previously advantaged person i should be buying that drink, hey!!! (LOL)

Al

This is a tough thread to read and not post on so I'll say my bit... I was born in South Africa to South African parents, that makes me South African. With this comes the good, the bad and the ugly. People will judge me on my nationality and expect me to be a certain way because of it. Who I truly am and where I live is up to me. I will never be embarrassed of where I was born but I will do my best to fit into wherever I may live, in much the same way that I would hope that immigrants to my country would take the time to try and fit in.

I like Ireland, it's policies and what it stands for, that is why I am here. I find the weather too hard so we are looking for somewhere new. I like Australia, it's stance, lifestyle, opportunities etc and that is why we have chosen to go there. This makes me no less South African, it just makes me a South African trying to do my best for myself and my family. It will help my kids to know where their heritage as they grow so I will teach them. It will help them to feel at home in their new surroundings too so I will do my best with this too. I may not rave about where I am from 24/7 but I am South African 24/7.

P.S To go back to an old point, I waitresses at The Dros as a student and the egg (cracked into the middle and cooked with the toppings) on pizza was very popular!! And this was in CT Southern Suburbs!! I didn't try it then so won't be having it in Aus :holy:

I find it interesting that many saffers on this forum really go to an effort to take-on/adapt to being an 'Aussie'.

I came to South africa as an Aussie, born & bred, and no way in hell am i, or would i be anything else but Australian, never. I would never, for example, put an avatar of something south african on this forum or any other, it would always be something Australian, and i find reading/looking at posts that it contains many little things that suggest your, ashamed, emabarrist, and seem to have no loyality to SA. Suggesting that you're been 'hurt' by your own country, or maybe felt it has let you down, and in a way, your showing disrespect towards it now that you've jumped ship.

I can understand going to live in another country (because i've been away for many years now) you make certain adaptions, but seems as though many of you have crossed the line which i find, i dont know..... not normal.

Whats your feeling towards SA, now that you have moved to another country.

Hi all

Yip, it's all about choices.

To those who feel guilty for being white and benefitted from apartheid: agreed, stay behind and repay your debt. It's important that you reach closure.

To those who feel that they can do better, regardless of their skin colour, than being murdered, robbed, raped : looking forward to stand proud next to you in Oz and contribute to a quality life for ourselves and all around us

To a certain extent I benefitted from apartheid. I also paid a lot and lost a few friends. Nobody has given me anything on a plate. I have no guilt and have nothing to repay. Just regret that I have to leave this lovely country, a great job and my family. I pity the people left behind.

I will see you in Oz making a new life.

Im not ashamed to be south african...never will be, because in my heart i never was south african...i dont fit in with any culture here,,,i married a afrikaner, and the afrikaans have always been good to me, but im still the rooinek and still the "catholic"...im still "white"...so im still linked to apartheid..a regime that I had stuf-all to do with...private schooling protected me from that growing up...my dad was not a citizen so he didnt vote for anyone...let alone the Nats..

im tired of hearing that i benefitted from apartheid...im STill unemployed...great benefit!

I really hope that once i get to oz i dont have to put up with the constant reminding of a regime that ended when i was 13 years old...i want to start fresh..where the future is more important than the past....

You realise that before they allow you to enter Oz you'll need to have an identity ? Looks like this could be a problem judged by your writing above :)

Guest natalie3

Yes wizard..i understand you..luckily hubby is the main applicant :ilikeit:

..and I hope what you posted makes you feel much better about yourself.

Edited by natalie3

Yes wizard..i understand you..luckily hubby is the main applicant :ph34r:

..and I hope what you posted makes you feel much better about yourself.

Hey Nats

At least us Centurions can take the mickey a little ! :ilikeit:

Regards

W

andre, my sentiments exactly..couldnt have said it better.