Activities in Perth ?

Janneman_Kie

Hi,

We have recently been to Perth on a LSD trip and found it very nice and interesting. What are the Saffers up to in Perth ? We have joined this site and we are looking forward to meet the local Pretoria people at the Coffee Club meeting in Irene later in Feb. We are just going to mis the awesome nice Oz flat whites and cappuchinos.

Been to an interview in Perth and things are looking good for a 457 ! Any suggestions on what the Saffers in Perth are up to would be nice.

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian & Kie

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear you liked our little city. I dont really know how to answer your question. What are we upto as in?

Workwise, business wise, socially? or what

Can you be more specific?

Ta

Enrica

Hi Enrica,

I think the question was a bit out of the need for social interactions with other Saffers in Perth especially in the biginning while finding your feet. I dont think one should just mingle with Saffers but try and integrate into the whole Aus community. It would just be nice to braai now and then and hear a bit of afrikaans ?

Same as the Coffe club the guys have got going here in Pretoria which seems to have coffee meets quite often.

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Okay now I understand and can try and answer the questions asked.

There is a South African Club , they meet once a month. Not sure if you would find this useful or not.

The women have a coffe club, that meets once a month at Hillarys.

There is a group of Portuguese Saffers that have a New Years Eve party, which is great.

There is a Saffers Business Club, or there used to be , not sure if thats still going.

In general, most of the South Africans that I know/have try and welcome the new migrants. Speaking for myself personally, I always try and have a get together for a new arrival, and try and introduce them to other South Africans to help answer any question and concerns they mights have regarding whatever really, that way hopefully, the new arrivals will actually meet someone they can relate to and perhaps become friends.

It is very important to meet as many people as possible in the beginning. It is the most natural thing in the world to then actually gravitate to people that you have things in common with.

Yes it is all well and good to say you must intergrate with Aussies, but it is not that simple. Australians tend to find us rather aggressive, I would like to think of it as being assertive but anyway, it takes a while to make Aussie friends. Anyway Perth is so cosmopolitan, that there are not that many dinky die Aussies especially north of the river!!!

What line of work are you in? Do you have kids? and when are you due to arrive?

You are welcome to come around for a drink alcoholic or not . If you need any assistance, just let me know.

Regards

Enrica <_<

Hi Enrica,

It seems that the saffers in Perth goes a long way towards welcoming the new guys. It is nice to know and we would like to meet the community during some of the get togethers. We (wife, myself and one eight year old boy, + 2 dogs and a cat) are aiming for the end of the year since we want to finish and sort a few things out on this side before leaving. I agree that you would naturally associate more with like minded people. I am a geologist and it seems that there is a lot of work available with the mining boom in WA. I was surprised at the reaction to putting my CV on the Aus websites.

I think that there is a huge wave of people awakening to a possible move to Aus. The current perception is quite negative here with the load shedding bit (and it's negative influence on business) and the violent crime becoming more and more frequent. We found a few other couples on the Perth airport on either LSD trips or on their arrival flight as new immigrants. So you should see quite a bit more people coming that way. We had a well known proffie and his daughter shot up badly for a celphone and a laptop spread all over Beeld last week. It seems that it happens daily now ...

I found the same in the assertive\aggressive perception that the Aussies have of us during the interviews - I think that we just got so used to being assertive and sometimes aggressive to get something done here in RSA. Somebody warned me before hand and it made things a lot easier in the interviews to listen carefully and tone down the assertive bit.

We were amazed at the effective service at the airports and even on the Quantas flight back home compared to the OR Tambo and SAA flight going down to Perth.

Well, enough said ! We miss the flat whites and tim tams and looking forward to meeting some of you.

Regards

Ian