Gatvol

marks

Hi my name is Mark

My wife and I have also decided to leave this country with our 2 girls (4&6)Only to give them a better chance in life.We are leaving family here that breaks my wifes heart.I have put my cv on the net on 05/02/2008 and received 2 interviews over the telephone.What is the next step??I have so many questions to ask because I cant find anything on the net.Can I take both my motorbikes across?What must I do with my firearm??I'm not giving it to the SAP here because it will go missing in there system and probably end back up on the street.My tools (mechanic) must I sell them and by again or take them with??

Can anyone help with some of these questions

Mark & Bernice

Hi Mark,

We're also leaving with our two girls, one is almost two and the other one is almost born.

I can answer you firearm question: It stays in SA or you stay :) Maybe give it to a family member?

Hello Mark

What is your next step? Apply. There are two ways: Skilled Migrant and 457 sponsored visa. The independent skilled migrant visa has along waiting list, better to find a job (best to search the Internet), find an employer willing to sponsor you and get your 457 application going. Once you are in Australia you can apply for permanent residence right away. If you apply for a regional visa you chances are better. Regional is anything except Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth. When you go through the immigration process there will be endless questions and another query and another requirement, just accept it and do it and don't get frustrated. The last thing Australians want is to make it easy for rubbish to get into the country, you have to respect that. Everything is done for a reason, and the system works here.

Take your firearm and destroy/damage them, then hand them to the police. You will really struggle to get a firearms licence in Australia, since the Port Arthur shootings in 1996 where some crazed maniac killed 35 people in a shooting spree, the gun laws have been really tightened up. You will need to do a firearms safety course, be member of club, get good local character references. It all gets a bit much, especially as it needs to be done within your first year, (that how long customs will hold it) and you really will have other things on your mind when you get here. We live in Gladstone, and here it's so safe we often don't lock the front door for days because we forget.

Your tools: Take them, anything you sell for nothing in SA as will happen you will have to repurchase here for lots of money. Imperial sizes are in as much use as metric, so you will need to buy another set of imperial spanners. I don't know too much about bikes, with cars there are so many modifications to make to comply with Australian safety standards it's not worth it. Cars a significantly cheaper here than in Australia as there is no crazy 100% import duty. The same would go for bikes I would imagine. Anything you do bring needs to be completely free of traces of soil and plant material.

As far as your kid are concerned you are right: we have a daughter who is starting Uni this year. Whenever we have doubts, we look at her, she has the world at her feet now, and its all been so worthwhile. We've been in Australia 7 years now, and its a good life here, all the way.

Hi my name is Mark

My wife and I have also decided to leave this country with our 2 girls (4&6)Only to give them a better chance in life.We are leaving family here that breaks my wifes heart.I have put my cv on the net on 05/02/2008 and received 2 interviews over the telephone.What is the next step??I have so many questions to ask because I cant find anything on the net.Can I take both my motorbikes across?What must I do with my firearm??I'm not giving it to the SAP here because it will go missing in there system and probably end back up on the street.My tools (mechanic) must I sell them and by again or take them with??

Can anyone help with some of these questions

Mark & Bernice

Hi Mark,

Welcome, if you have absolutely no clue of the immi process then look HERE

Regarding your motorbikes. I stand to be corrected but if they are roadworthy and licensed in South Africa then the import duty is in the region of 55% of replacement value. If they off road and unregistered it is less.

As for finding out info on the net, you only need two sites for 99% of everything: this one and the official Aus immi one. thats it.

Jordy

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums! :rolleyes:

We have an eight year old boy, and are moving for the same reason. We have accepted having to leave our firearms behind. Aside from some sentiment, they won't be missed.

I was thinking about taking my bike over, but it looks as though it will be better to leave it, freeing up a little more space in the container as a bonus.

All the best with your application,

Mark

Is it not possible to get the fire arms "disarmed" by the police(?) and then take it along if it has sentimental value. I know that option exists in RSA if you want to keep a firearm but do not want keep it in "working condition".

My husband is giving his firearm to our nabour, he has a shooting school and will register the firearm in his name. Make sure it's off your name before leaving. I also don't think any one will buy it though.

Howzit mark,

Welcome to the forum and your new home! You'll get addicted like the rest of us!

Relax and take a deep breath!!! You are running ahead of yourself, and will be exhausted with a headache before your first paperwork gets on its way.

a. Jordy posted a thread: 101 Things to do before you leave - print it and keep at hand

b. Study the immi.gov.au website. There you'll find out which type of visa will be best for you

c. The bike could be costly to take with, regarding re-registering and all the paperwork involved. Do some research and decide.

d. Aus is a gun free country. Selling it to a gun dealer or a shooting school is definately the way to go. We'll be doing the same.

e. You can do your application by yourself or use an agent. Sure you'll make contact with many agents on the forum.

All the best with your process and I'm sure it will end positively!!!

My husband is giving his firearm to our nabour, he has a shooting school and will register the firearm in his name. Make sure it's off your name before leaving. I also don't think any one will buy it though.

Hi there Mercia

Does your neighbour take in other guns? We stay near yo and hubby has a safe full. His not prepared to give them in, and wants to use the angle grinder on them.

Please could you let us know

Debra

(PM me....)

Edited by Debra