anybody from south africa going to tasmania

jackboy

just wondering is there anybody else from south africa going to tasmania, seems like everybody is going to the more popular destinations

we are relocating to hobart at the end of this year, mayb w can share info and ideas

thanks Henry and Cathy

just wondering is there anybody else from south africa going to tasmania, seems like everybody is going to the more popular destinations

we are relocating to hobart at the end of this year, mayb w can share info and ideas

thanks Henry and Cathy

Hello Henry & Cathy

We are seriously considering Tasmania. We were just about to put the question out there whether anybody was planning to go to Tas especially Hobart. Where are you guys currently living?

Karen & Christian

Hi guys

I'm on my way to Oz, but my works takes me to Canberra and will move later on to Brisbane to settle.

I worked for about seven months in Deloraine, Tas. I only once went all the way down via the eastcoast to spend newyears in Hobart. It was one of the most amazing times of my life. Hobart is a beatifull city and harbour with a lovely atmosphere. I loved the Salamanca market from Nov to Jan every year and the Sydney - Hobart yacht race ends in the Hobart harbour. Great time to be there.

What the living in Hobart is like I won't be able to tell. Tasmania has A LOT (REALY) to see and do without having to travel to far and long. Tassies weather is like Cape Town's weather.

Enjoy TAS

Martin

hi guys we are staying in Randburg (johannesburg) and are defenitly moving to hobart at the end of the year. we are just waiting for a date to do our practical trade assesment and then we are away. we have made contact with quite a few south african familys that live in tassies and they all say they would never leave. apparantly the family life is great and far from the stresses of normal city life.

if you do decide to go there we should stay in contact to share ideas etc, which would obviously be beneficial to all

regards

Henry and Cathy

Hey martin thanks for the encouragement and the good word about tassies glad to hear you enjoyed it we are really set on tasmania so any good words really help

all the best

Henry and Cathy

Hi there

Thanks Martin for your input. One really needs it when you want to go to a place that does not seem as popular as the "big 4".

To Henry & Cathy

We will most certainly keep in touch. Do you guys have a job offer in Tas or are you just going over and take things from there?

Do you have any kids? We have a son of 4 1/2 and a daughter of 3 1/2. We are looking at Tasmania because it looks like a great place to raise kids. How did you make contact with other South Africans in Tasmania? Sorry about all the questions. One gets used to asking many questions!

Cheers,

Karen & Christian

Guest Bronwyn

Hi guys

I know very little about Tasmania, but I wanted to tell you that last year when I was working in a bank in Aus, one of my clients moved to Tas. They built a kit home for about $120k, a pretty little place with three bedrooms which suited them and their little boy. I think the land cost them $100k.

After 2 years the husband was being transferred again to somewhere very far North of Adelaide in the countryside, and their plan was to pack up the whole house (remember it's a kit) and move it up to the next spot. I presumed they would then just on-sell the land.

I just thought this might be of interest, it semed like a good money-saving plan. ;)

Edited by Bronwyn

Tasmania is absolutely safe for kids to grow up in.

I know . . . . my three kids were born there and grew up there for several years, about 25 mins drive south of Hobart.

Fantastic spot.

Fantastic people.

Fantastic lifestyle.

Tasmania, and its people, are special to me bringing some great memories spent there over 13 years (1981 - 1994)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Henry and Cathy

hi

my husband has a job offer in Hobart Tasmania and we are going the RSMS 119 route. We will be ready to lodge our visa app by end Mar latest - just waiting for a few more docs from our go slow govt departments. We live in Pietermaritzburg currently, we are hoping to be there between Aug and Oct this year

Hello Henry & Cathy

We are seriously considering Tasmania. We were just about to put the question out there whether anybody was planning to go to Tas especially Hobart. Where are you guys currently living?

Karen & Christian

Hi we are going to Tasmania, my husband has a job over there and they are sponsoring us going over on RSMS 119, perm visa, have just submitted our TRA, and will be ready to lodge end Mar/early Apr, looking very forward to it!

Are you still keen on going there?

Noodles

Hi Henry and Cathy

Unfortuantely we are not going to Tasmania, we are off to Brisbane, but you can have a look at this site: http://www.southafricatasmaniaconnection.net/ the webmaster is a cousin of mine, and he will be more than willing to help and answer questions you might have.

Nico

Noodles!

Where is the job offer in Hobart? which company and suburb?

have you any idea on where you'll be living in Hobart?

Noodles!

Where is the job offer in Hobart? which company and suburb?

have you any idea on where you'll be living in Hobart?

Hi!

Motors (Pty) Ltd in Hobart!

Not too sure about exactly where as will depend on schools as well

but so far have been looking at houses in Bellerive, Lindisfarne,

Howrah, Sandy Bay, Blackmans Bay, and surrounding

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Henry and Cathy

Hi Henry and Cathy

Although my husband has a job offer (recently came through) in Northwest Queensland, we are very keen on Tasmania. Have been for a long time. We were also wondering why no-one seems to be going to Tasmania, so it is good to hear of some people on this forum going there and of all the other SA families that are there already. We have been in contact with a Skilled Migration Coordinator from Hobart for a few months now and are keeping our fingers crossed, because hubby's cv went out to a few potential employers.

We received our PR visa last week (I did an intro in the Foyer) and we should be going over soon, hopefully June/July, either Tasmania(first choice) or where the job offered takes us in Queensland (not much of a choice). It would be nice if we could keep in contact and as you say, share information along the way.

I see KMG and Noodles are also considering/ or going to Tasmania. Will be great to hear from you.

Regards, ILze

Edited by Prieska

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We arived back from Australia this past Sunday after 14 days of travelling for interviews. We visited Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart. Hobart is a magic little place (actually not so little) and it reminds me a lot if Simonstown.

After discussing with the wife, I have accepted the offer received from Hobart and we are now starting the process for the 457 Visa process. We are very excited about moving there.

The wife has already decided on a suitable primary school after discussions with some South Africans we met there. We are looking to settle in the Blackmansbay area.

Regards,

Waldo, Hilda & kids

Hi There

It was nice to hear that you have decided on Hobart. So many are going to Perth Melbourne etc and at one stage we were feeling a little isolated. We decided on Hobart last year.

We have lodged our 176 visa at the beginning of May. We have done everything except the meds. We now begin the wait for a CO to be appointed (case office).

We are in Sundowner / Randpark Ridge. We have also decided on looking at Blackmans Bay or Toorona or Sandy Bay area.

Drop us a line so we can stay in touch PLEASE as our network it going to be valuable when we get to Hobart.

If there is anything you would like to know or ask please feel free to do so.

Please contact us on our email so we can have a chat.

Kind regards

Henry, Cathy & kids

There are many Dutch people that settled the Kingston area in southern Tasmania and Ulverstone in the north of Tasmania in the 1950s and 60s.

You'll find Dutch Reformed Churches in both those places.

A large number of South Africans are also joining the churches there too nowadays, so don't be surprised to belong to a thriving community that have fitted in well into Tasmania and have made a good contribution to the State and the lifestyle there.

The schools I recommend there, without any hesitation, for your kids are Calvin Christian School or Channel Christian School.

Great schools.

Great teachers.

Great results.

Hi there

We are also looking at going to Tazmania although on a 175 we would like to settle there from the onset.. If we think the 176 is going to be quicker we may go that route. Just hubby's english to get sorted - everything else in place..

Now I am so excited! My husband and I seem to only qualify to go the State Sponsored route, and Tasmania seemed to be our only option. At first, by husband wasn't impressed and almost wanted to reconsider immigrating, but over the past couple of weeks we have only had positive feedback about Tasmania and now even my husband wants to go there!! We are applying for a PR visa, so it might still take a while, but I think we will certainly go for Tasmania. Just completed our IELTS tests and will be receiving our results within the next 10 days (hopefully). So if all goes well, we'll see you in Tasmania next year!

Hi there Mara and NicciG

It's great that you guys are also going to Tasmania!! Seems like, together with the South Africans already there, there will be quite a few more of us going that way. We are flying off to Launceston end of June, hubby landed a job there and we are very excited. We'll keep you posted, once we've landed if anyone is interested in going that direction. All the best to you with your process.

ILze and Jaco

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I arrived in Hobart on the 3rd of May, so have been here for about 6 weeks. Luckily I got a job before I arrived, but Hobart was always my first choice. I have not regretted my decision once, and that was even after going to work in -2 degrees a few weeks back. It is definitely colder than wherever you have come from in SA, but the traffic is a breeze, the people are friendly, and it really is a beautiful place.

I have been helped by another South African family as well as a lot of Aussies, and still remember finding 3 welcoming presents placed at my doorstep the day my family arrived 2 weeks ago. I am renting a house in Austins Ferry, and can't wait for the money from the house in SA to arrive, so that I can buy property here. The only thing I miss about SA is friends and family, and if I could get them over here I would.

If you still have something to achieve in the big city then go for it. If you want a slower but richer life, then Hobart and Tassie is an option. There are a lot of foreigners in Tassie, but be warned, you will always be welcomed, but you will never in your lifetime be a Tasmanian. In my first day on the job, I was introduced to a guy. He said to me " I have been here 37 years and they still call me "Pom" or Pommie bastard."" To me that is a very small drawback to this beautiful place with these friendly people.

If I can help with info, I will be happy to. Just mail me on timchamilton@gmail.com

Cheers

Tim

We have been in Launceston for 6 years now. We initially wanted to use Tassie as a stepping stone to move to the mainland, but after 2 years we decided to stay. It is one of the nicest and cleanest places we have ever lived in. It is fantastic for raising kids and there is a very big SA community in Launceston and the NW coast. If anybody needs some info please send me a message. It is a place worth looking at as an option to live. Housing is also way cheaper than on the mainland.

Hubby is a carpenter and I was wondering what the job prospects would be like

• 1 month later...

Hi Waldo ,Hilda

Karen & Christian

Henty & Cathy

This sounds like a great place to live. We are currently in witbank South Africa and are considering the Hobart area in Tasmania - Looks lovely on the internet.

Please could you let me kno when you arrive - If we do end up there ( am going to apply for RSMS ) from state - Hold thumbs for approval, I would like to get in touch withh all that live in the surrounds.

regards

Brenda and Nick ( 4 kids)

Hi there Brenda and Nick

We lodged our state sponsorship on the 8 May 2008 and have done all requirements. We are now awaiting a case officer to issue our visa,,,, this could be a 5 month wait.

We have met a couple (Prieska) Ilze and Jaco Dekker that landed in Launceston on the 25 June and they have given us some information and I am sure they will be happy to drop you a line. We have also met another couple (Noodles) Annette and Steve Atkins. They leave on the 29 th Aug for Hobart. Henry will be there at the same time so he will meet up with them.

We are happy to know that more South African are heading that way. Should you want any info please dont hesitate to send us a message and we will happily assist.

Cheers

Cathy and Henry