Where would I find property that...............

Oryx

We will be coming over on a 175 visa so won't really be area bound.

Couple of years back we toured down the coast from Cairns to Sydney. We loved Brisbane.

My wife has friends in Perth and we both consider Melbourne and Perth as options.

I am looking for something within commuting distance from the city and

Smallhoding preferable but property of >200sqm's will also do

Sea views or just around the corner from the sea

Vineyard views (or own small vineyard) or just around the corner from the sea.

So in which areas would I be looking for something like that?

And it doesn't have to be necessarily around Melbourne. Other larger cities will also work.

We will be coming over on a 175 visa so won't really be area bound.

Couple of years back we toured down the coast from Cairns to Sydney. We loved Brisbane.

My wife has friends in Perth and we both consider Melbourne and Perth as options.

I am looking for something within commuting distance from the city and

Smallhoding preferable but property of >200sqm's will also do

Sea views or just around the corner from the sea

Vineyard views (or own small vineyard) or just around the corner from the sea.

So in which areas would I be looking for something like that?

And it doesn't have to be necessarily around Melbourne. Other larger cities will also work.

If you want vinyards, mountains, a sea and a city - then we are definately talking about Adelaide.

The wine areas around Melbourne, are definitely not near the sea!

We live in Sunbury, on the outskirts of Melbourne, surrounded by vineyards, and big blocks, and big homes, but the sea is at least 70klms away, unless of course you are talking about Port Philip Bay, which is only 38klms away.

Thank you K&B and Mara

K & B:From what I've seen on the forum, I like Adelaide. But my wife is not too keen. She wants a big city. (and I long for the platteland) :hug:

Mara: Thanks for the info. I really have no idea about where winelands and the sea etc are in the different cities. Hence my questions. Thank you for the information. Now I have a name (Port Philip Bay) that I can investigate!

Hi Oryx

Have you tried using Google maps - you can change format between map vs satelite vs terrain

Give you a good feel and you can see which areas are close to the sea - link to Google Victoria

you can also get directions which hen also give you an estimate time to get from poiint A to point B as well as clear directions

You can also use the google map to zoom from an Australia view down to a Victoria view - closer to a Melbourne view

I would suggest to anyone wanting to get an orientation as to where they are in Australia and a feel for the states in relation to each other and hen within a state a feel for the suburs in realtion to city centre vs beach etc

It sall point and click and drag and drop

There is also a tab called My Maps which has a distance measuremnet tool. With teh measuring tool you can click multiple points along a route to get a total distance.

There is also a cool thing called "Browse popular maps" that shows items of interest like - libraries - you click on this and it highlights all the libraries in Melbourne on the map. There are bus routes. Places to go in Mel, Fishing Place, wanting to find organic markets/restuarants, mel shopping, car dealerships, Mel public transportMel Bars, Mel Attractions

Another cool feature is the places of interest - It is a list of checkboxes to find places like schools, gas stations, places of worship (This has comeup a few times - where do I find a church)

Sadly there was no checkbox or places of interest for vineyards.

Moderators - It would be good to pin a note about google maps and these features - using the points I highligted above it gives you a great perspective from 30 000ft and ability to drill down to 5ft detail

Rgds

matman

The Mornington and Mt Eliza area is what you are looking for. Appr. 50 minutes from Melbourne CBD (or faster once the new freeway opens toward the end of the year). This area is around 20-30 minutes from where we live in the south-east of Melbourne (follow Nepean Hwy) and it is beyond beautiful. Good luck

Hi If you are looking at Perth,

Most of the vineyards are in the Swan Valley , but thats not to close to the ocean.

Otherwise , there are small pockets of vineyards in Waneroo, some real hidden gems. Fair size semi rural and rural blocks, and thats not to far from the ocean ,

about 15 minutes and about 40kms to the City.

I like Adelaide. But my wife is not too keen. She wants a big city. (and I long for the platteland) :rolleyes:

Oryx, I am with you there - I have the same problem with my wife. At least we are both winos, we like to spend our holidays near vineyards.

We know NSW/ACT best. It depends how far you want to be to the sea. Closest (NSW) would be the Hunter Valley region, between Sydney and Newcastle.

A lot of people live on the central coast, and commute to Sydney.

Disadvatages.

- It ain't gonna be cheap. Its getting crowded.

- Long commute to/from the city (not my cup of tea). An option is Newcastle - small city, less jobs, cheaper. 2+ hours from Sydney.

- In the Hunter valley you can't exactly see the sea, on the coast you can't exactly see the vineyards. But its close enough, maybe 1/2 hour.

Sorry, I noticed too late this is a Melbourne forum. Hey, Melbourne is nice too :)

Edited by montxsuz

Thanks for the NSW info. Half an hour will be great. I'll also check out Hunters Valley. The closer to Sydney the more brownie points for me! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the NSW info. Half an hour will be great. I'll also check out Hunters Valley. The closer to Sydney the more brownie points for me! :ilikeit:

My wife grew up in Newcastle, so I know the area well. Let me know what you decide.

For a while I had a consulting job in Mudgee, NSW (check map) in the heart of wine country. Fantastic little town.

Then we decided to buy some land just outside of Canberra, ACT, which we still own.

Canberra is a cool climate region, ie Pinot etc. Our farm is commuting distance from Canberra (ie jobs), between vineyards.

Its about 100 kms to the sea (beautiful NSW south coast, and about 200 kms to the ski fields. Best of all worlds.

Like I said, we are winos. Perhaps we need a wine forum. :lol:

Ps. On the NSW South coast there is a small wine region as well, not far from Wollongong, but further from Sydney. Lighter varieties eg Chambourcin. The Hunter has beautiful Semillon and Shiraz (not PC).

Edited by montxsuz