Linda: I'm new ...

Linda

Hi,

My name is Linda and we currenly live in Centurion, SA. We want to start the process for immigration soon. Right now we are very nervous (but excited) about our decision. We've got a 17 month old son, Ryan, and we just want to do what's best for him. Unfortunately it means taking him away from his Granny and Grandpa who will miss him so much! I hope we're making the right decision!

I hope to get to know some of you by chatting and maybe meeting in person in AUS one day!

Linda

Guest Jules

Pleased to meet you Linda :)

Good luck with your plans. How far along the track are you with your migration and what visa are you applying for? It's never easy leaving family and friends behind, but who knows what the future holds, maybe one day they can join you :ilikeit:

Hope to see you around on the forum! Any ideas where in Australia you want to settle yet?

Julie :)

I haven't even started with the visa or anything. Want to start gathering documents and work references to apply for the skills assesment.

We want to apply for the 136 Skilled Independent visa, with me as the applicant. I am still under 30, so better chance of getting it.

We are considering Perth (at least we've got one friend over there!)

Hi there Linda!

It can all be very overwhelming and confusing - so much info, so many options and not much to go on other than what you get from people who have already taken the plunge. There's also the emotional factors to consider - such as your children growing up without their grandparents, missing your other friends and family, facing the unknown and starting life over in a country you know nothing about. Good luck for the road ahead - when it gets too rocky, we'll be here for you to help you through the rough patches. If you cannot find the answers to your questions already posted, please ask and we'll do our best to assist!

Welcome Linda, and good luck! You are in for a rough ride, but in the end it is all very much worth it!!!

Hi Linda,

Welcome here! Whatever your final decision will be, good luck! I hope things work out well for you. It is a big thing taking your children away from their grandparents, but it is a decision we just have to make. Our parents have had the opportunity to make their choices, and certainly did the best they could for us. Now it is our turn to think of our children, and make our decisions for them. Hopefully the grandparents will be supportive and understanding. And you know, with Skype, and all the other communication programs available, the world is a small place after all! :blink:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Dreamy,

Really true words! My husband's parents are really really close to us and they adore Ryan. We've been talking about this for quite a while and recently we mentioned to them that we're going to start the process. His mom just burst into tears. The next day she apologized and told her that we must do what's best for us, that she is just incredibly sad. She was hoping that would just forget about the whole thing. I suppose any mother just want her kids close to her ...

But we must do what's best for us and the future of our little boy!

We've already decided to "upgrade" their dial-up connection to ADSL when we go so that we can spend plenty of time talking on the web cam etc. Ryan must know what his granny and grandpa look like afterall. And then they must just come and visit as often and as long as they can. We'll save up for tickets for them.

Sad hey? But I'm quite excited! I'm busy gathering all the stuff necessary for the skills assesment.

There are still a lot of uncertianties, but we'll get through it! Thanks for your support, at least I know that there's a forum with great people who wouldn't mind answering my stupid questions! :blink:

Love,

Linda

Hi Linda

We're still in SA, so unfortunately I won't be able to help with the "where in Aus can I find..." questions but hopefully will be able to help with some of the other stuff!

On the subject of taking the kids away from their family, my brother and his family left in 2000, my nephew was three and my niece a few months old at the time. Both parents were really concerned about taking the kids away from the extended family. We (grannie grandpa and aunty) were devastated when they left but urged them to go for the sake of the children (they were already crime survivors by the time they left).

My point is this (sorry, you'll find I'm a bit longwinded sometimes): the next time I saw them in Dec 2004 the kids were overjoyed to see me, and my niece and I immediately had a strong bond - she just wanted to be with me, holding me and telling me long stories (bet I know where she gets that from!) Both the kids treated me as if I was a special part of their family and I feel that it's because their parents ensure that the family history and legends are kept alive in their home, their kids have a sense of place and are able to anchor us in their lives.

Good luck, we’ll be behind you, in front of you and next to you all the way.

Cindylou

Hi Linda,

I'd like to wish you a warm welcome to this forum. Here you'll find much of the support and info you'd need. It's not easy but rewarding - we never wanted kids in RSA, now we have our 1st one on his way - Aus is very family orientated and kids friendly in my opinion. You'll love it from that perspective. Difficult with the parents and other family, but hey the family could become regular jet setters in their "old days" and maybe in future they'd be able to settle here too, who knows?

Good luck and go ahead ask those questions when you need help

C'Bug

HI Linda

Welcome to our little forum. I am sure you will get a lot of support and info here.

I know your fears regarding your baby and the fact that he won't see his grandparents as often, I am also thinking about this a lot lately and we don't even have kids yet. Soon enough, first want to settle and feel at home in aus before we bring one into the world.

Love from Cairns

• 1 month later...

Linda

The way I would look at it, and the way I told my family to go about it is get your Visa and then make a decision. I believe in always having a plan B. The longer you wait the slimmer you chances become. Remember you can always change your mind. But at least get the visa in place. ASAP

Once I received the visa, I asked for a sign wether to stay or immigrate when I got to my car it was gone (it had just been stolen)

Yes I took that as my sign and it was a life changing one, I have never looked back.

We have 2 small children and having no family here at first, it was a little difficult but Mandy joined a Playgroup and the support she received from the other mothers was wonderful. People here do want to help in anyway that they can, they are very accepting and welcoming. We have found that as long as we have made the effort to get out there and meet other people they have always been very supportive.

All the best in your decision making, may you make the best decision for you and your family.

good luck

hope this helps

Carl and Mandy

Hi Charl (and Mandy)

Thanks very much for the great advice. I agree, it's worth getting the visa now (while I still can). The good news regarding our family is that we suggested a parent visa to my in-laws and they surprised us by being positive and excited about that! So they will join us there (after a couple of years!) Great news, hey?

I submitted my skills assesment to ACS yesterday, and I'm so nervous .....

Linda

Welcome to the forum I am sure that you will find all the info you need here in some form or the other even just support on the days when it feels like it is getting a bit too much to handle. Remember the key is to find out as much as possible and then make your desition based on that.

I surfed the internet for a while to find all the info eventually found the forum and suddenly most of what I could not find was available here.

Good luck :holy: