IELTS test

Dolfyntjie

Is there anyone of you who did not pass the IELTS test the first time, or know of someone who did not. Just want toe get a feeling of the posibilieties of passing the first time. My test is only in May and I am afraid because it is a lot of money I will be wasting and obviously the whole process will be delayed. :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Hi Dolfyntjie

I can only speak for the Academic IELTS. I have written the Academic IELTS a week or so ago and I'm almost sure I'm not going to pass the reading section. The other sections were fairly easy, but for my skills assessment it is required that I get band 7 for each of the sections. There were some other people there that wrote for their second time, i.e. the academic IELTS, not the general one.

Most people on the forum didn't have a problem with the IELTS. Don't stress too much, just make sure you are well-prepared and know what to expect.

Good luck!

Sonja

Hi Dolfyntjie

I can only speak for the Academic IELTS. I have written the Academic IELTS a week or so ago and I'm almost sure I'm not going to pass the reading section. The other sections were fairly easy, but for my skills assessment it is required that I get band 7 for each of the sections. There were some other people there that wrote for their second time, i.e. the academic IELTS, not the general one.

Most people on the forum didn't have a problem with the IELTS. Don't stress too much, just make sure you are well-prepared and know what to expect.

Good luck!

Sonja

Thanks Somarie. I am going for the general one, hopefully not too difficult. B):lol::ph34r:

Hi There

We have ordered the specimen pack just in case, I would rather pay the extra R 400 and hopefully pass at least I then know what to expect.

Nicki

PS We are writing in Feb, if you like I can pass the books on to you

Edited by Nicki G

Can anyone tell me at what point of the process in the (subclass)457 application is the IELTS test essential?

Its only essential if you cannot prove you studied in english at either high school or university level. Also, its only necessary for the main applicant.

Is there anyone of you who did not pass the IELTS test the first time, or know of someone who did not. Just want toe get a feeling of the posibilieties of passing the first time. My test is only in May and I am afraid because it is a lot of money I will be wasting and obviously the whole process will be delayed. :ilikeit::(

Hi,

I am a boertjie and had to get 7's for all units in order to get the extra 25 points, so I did my homework!

See if you can get the specimen pack from someone as it is expensive @ R400 (but still cheaper than failing).

Before you start you must RELAX, otherwise you don't think clearly. It is not a Quantum Physics exam!!!

Listening Test:

If you get a map, study it systematically so that you know where everything is. Don't be shy to make markings, e.g. North-East-South-West.

- Read the first set of questions at least twice and before reviewing the map again.

The test is purely to see if you can listen and follow logical instructions in English, e.g. "start at the library and go up Market Street, the shop is over the second bridge" - easy.

Writing:

You have to write 2 essays of at least 150 & 250 words each. Here they are looking at your ability to answer a question by constructing a logical and flowing work, as well as your grammar and syntax.

Write an outline of your answer first on the questionnaire, e.g.

- Look at the question and decide whether you agree / disagree

- Divide your essay in 4-6 paragraphs (assign number of word per paragraph, e.g. 6 par's & 25 words = 150words):

= Introduction (state your position)

= background to your reason

= motivating arguments (1 or 2 per paragraph)

= conclusion

Make sure you have a logical flow from beginning to end.

Now you can focus on each paragraph on its own.

Use constructs e.g. "this is better than that", "it is more likely to -- than ---", ", because..." - They really like this!

Reading:

This is more difficult to prepare for. Just stay calm and focus. We had an interesting article about the early days of seafaring and had to link a list of headings with the most appropriate paragraph.

The trick is to have a little system, e.g. number your paragraphs and write the number next to a selected heading, and also the heading number next to a paragraph. Start with the easy ones first, and do the ambiguous ones later.

This way you can quickly see which headings/ paragraphs are not linked yet, and also make changes quickly.

Speaking:

Just be yourself. Mine was much more intense than those who went with me. They had to tell the person of a recent trip and he asked them questions.

My first question was "Do you think the crime statistics have increased over the past number of years?" :huh: Obviously I said yes, but my interviewer did not like the answer. Just remember: He / She does not mark you on the oral, they record it and someone else marks you.

My second question was: "Do you think the social-economic standing of a person influences his or her view on materialism?" :ilikeit:

After that the guy relaxed a bit and asked me what my favourite meal was & if breakfast is important, etc.

I referred to some books / articles I read and I think that helped.

I must say that I though I was going to get a 5 or 6, but ended up with a 8 for this one.

Good Luck!

Thanks Tytan, so if Chris has english on his matric certificate and he passed it, we should be ok? I earned a distinction for both English and Afrikaans but I lost my senior certificate and I am the "addon" applicant. He is the main. I am so sorry to ask this so painstakingly but I like to be clear on the facts.

Thanks

My first question was "Do you think the crime statistics have increased over the past number of years?" :lol: Obviously I said yes, but my interviewer did not like the answer.

Maybe he works for the South African Government and not the British one. ;)

My second question was: "Do you think the social-economic standing of a person influences his or her view on materialism?" :D

Ok what does this mean in English? :D

Maybe he works for the South African Government and not the British one. ;)

Hi Jordy,

Yes he definitely was not of recent British descend!

Ok what does this mean in English? :blink:

I was also a bit stumped, but I just said that you get people in both poor and rich communities that either keep all to them selves, or people that are open handed, so in my opinion it is an individual's view on materialism that matter. :D

Note: There were 150 people for the IETLS exam (Cape Town - Oct 07), and a lot of them did the orals that day. They brought in extra interviewers. As far as I could gather no-one else had questions like these! Maybe he was just tired and fed up as it was late on a Saturday afternoon.

Cheers

Edited by DKH

Thanks Tytan, so if Chris has english on his matric certificate and he passed it, we should be ok? I earned a distinction for both English and Afrikaans but I lost my senior certificate and I am the "addon" applicant. He is the main. I am so sorry to ask this so painstakingly but I like to be clear on the facts.

Thanks

Hi Cagiva

Its not based on whether or not you PASSED English, but rather that you STUDIED in English. If you went to an Afrikaan High School and got a distinction for English, that will not qualify you to avoid the IELTS.

If you majored in English at University, that would be okay.

They want you to have studied in English. Your school or Uni should provide you with a letter saying that you studied in the medium of English.

Thanks Tytan, I have booked an IELTS test for Chris, probably better that he has it than not.

But I really appreciate your advise.

You're welcome :blink:

Thanks Tytan, I have booked an IELTS test for Chris, probably better that he has it than not.

Just to correct Tytan on this one. It does appear that not all main applicants have to do the IELTS and that sometimes they do accept 'other evidence' but if they do require IELTS from the main applicant, they will require it from all co-applicants over 18 as well. If they do request it from the main applicant and the co-applicants do not produce it, and they dont accept other evidence for the co-applicants, the visa will still be granted but will be subject to the secondary visa charges.

In other words if you booked for Chris you should also book for yourself.

Please someone prove me wrong so that my wife doesnt have to write either. For details read form 966i.pdf

Hi Jordy,

I was advised my our agent that we I do not need to pass the IELTS test until we are applying for PR in Australia. For the 457 he said only Chris needs to complete it and pass.

I know that when we were considering the 175 PR visa we both had to complete it.

Does anyone else know?

Jordy, my migration agent seems certain (I have not pressed the matter) that my wife will not have to take the IELTS English test. We are applying for the 175 Permanent Residence visa.

I think I'll shoot off an email to them quickly and make absolutely sure of that. I would hate to have everything ready, only to have to delay the process because we need to wait 4 to 6 months for my wife to take the test. :ilikeit:

Maybe it is the diff between a 457 and the PR visa. Ok I stand corrected. I just wish DIAC actually was very specific about this.

Hi Tobold,

From the DIAC site:

Secondary applicants, aged 18 years or over, who are included in your application must provide evidence of their current level of English.

Secondary applicants who have been assessed as not having functional English will be required to pay a second instalment visa application charge.

Also, evidence required for functional English:

* your IELTS TRF Number to show you have a band score of at least four and a half (4.5) based on all four components.

*evidence that you have a degree, diploma or trade qualification requiring at least two (2) years of full time study or training with all instruction conducted in English

evidence that you have completed at least one (1) year of full time study in Australia towards a degree or diploma qualification with all instruction conducted in English

evidence that you have completed:

your primary education and at least three (3) years of secondary education

or

at least five (5) years of secondary education

at an educational institution where all instruction was conducted in English.

For the secondary applicant (partner/spouse) to claim anything higher than functional English, they would have to sit for the IELTS. For functional English, any of the above would suffice.

See: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...ity-english.htm

Stix

PS: This is for 175 PR, not sure about other visas.

Jordy, my migration agent seems certain (I have not pressed the matter) that my wife will not have to take the IELTS English test. We are applying for the 175 Permanent Residence visa.

I think I'll shoot off an email to them quickly and make absolutely sure of that. I would hate to have everything ready, only to have to delay the process because we need to wait 4 to 6 months for my wife to take the test. :ilikeit:

Hi Tobold,

We are applying for the same PR visa and were advised by our agent that only the principal applicant needs to do the test. The band score required depends on your occupation, usually "vocational" is enough unless you are teaching, etc.

The secondary applicant only needs to have "functional" english. If you can prove that the secondary applicant has a minimum of 3 years tertiary education (conducted in english) you will be OK.

The EXCEPTION (yes, there always IS one!) is if you are short on points, in which case the secondary applicant can do the exam and claim the extra points.

Hope this helps and good luck!

zorba

Thanks Stix!

That's very comprehensive. My agent just emailed the DIAC English requirements before I signed in here, along with an explanation. It read much like yours. :ilikeit:

Is the 457 visa that different, Jordy? It's surprising to me that they would have a higher english requirement for a secondary applicant on a work visa than they would for permanent residence applicants, but it wouldn't be the first time that beurocratic practice/policy has surprised me. :ilikeit:

For the 175 PR visa, at least, my wife is fine, having completed her secondary education in English. I can rest easy, but for one thing...

I have just received a confirmation email for the IELTS test on the 12th of April, in Jhb. I was thrilled to get an April test date, but then I noticed that the oral examination may be on the same date, or 7 days prior to (5th April), or 7 days after (19th April). I will be out of the country from the 18th of April! Arggh!

I was so chuffed to see that the test was early in April, as I cannot move my travel dates, only to now have it hanging over my head. They say they will notify us one week before the oral exam! Sorry to whinge here, but we have to wait 3 months from application/payment to take the test, but they can only give us 7 days notice as to the final oral exam date? Is this part of the test? I think the IELTS test is designed to test one's character, not one's English! They're trying to find all the "stiff upper lip" types, those who can "take it on the chin". "There's a good chap." ;)

Oh well, if I have to take the test in May, then so be it. I suppose one more month won't matter in the grand scheme of things. I am beginning to wish that we could dispense with the medicals up front. I expect that my health will have declined by the time the medicals are due. ;)

Sorry Zorba, I took so long typing my essay that you had replied in the meantime.

Thanks for the encouraging info. I like the idea of extra points, should we need them.

I see you're in Gabarone. I wanted to take the IELTS test there to get an earlier date, but apparently they are no longer holding the IELTS test in Botswana. A pity, as I would have enjoyed the ride and the scenery. :ilikeit:

I see you're in Gabarone. I wanted to take the IELTS test there to get an earlier date, but apparently they are no longer holding the IELTS test in Botswana. A pity, as I would have enjoyed the ride and the scenery. :ilikeit:

The EXCEPTION (yes, there always IS one!) is if you are short on points, in which case the secondary applicant can do the exam and claim the extra points.

Zorba,

You can only ever claim a maximum of five points for your the secondary applicant, regardless of whether they get band scores of 5 or 9. But in order to be eligible for those five points, the secondary applicant must meet the requirements with regard to skills and English ability.

If the secondary applicant doesn't have at least functional English, then you have to pay the extra $$$ up front so that they undergo suitable english training once you've landed.

So, by way of example:

If you as the primary applicant get 25 points for English (say you got all 9's for IELTS), and you get a positive skills assessment for an IT occupation. But, let's say that because of your age, you only end up with 110 points in total. Whether your spouse gets all 9's for IELTS, or whether he/she simply gets a letter from their high school (and thereby proving functional English) saying that they had five years of tuition which was given in English, you can still only claim five points for your spouse, which will still leave you five points short of the required 120.

The important thing to remember is that those extra five points will only be granted if your spouse satisfies both the Functional English language requirement and the skills assessment requirement, regardless of how brilliantly they demonstrate their English ability.

Edited by Pygmalion

Thanks Stix!

That's very comprehensive. My agent just emailed the DIAC English requirements before I signed in here, along with an explanation. It read much like yours. :)

Is the 457 visa that different, Jordy? It's surprising to me that they would have a higher english requirement for a secondary applicant on a work visa than they would for permanent residence applicants, but it wouldn't be the first time that beurocratic practice/policy has surprised me. :)

For the 175 PR visa, at least, my wife is fine, having completed her secondary education in English. I can rest easy, but for one thing...

I have just received a confirmation email for the IELTS test on the 12th of April, in Jhb. I was thrilled to get an April test date, but then I noticed that the oral examination may be on the same date, or 7 days prior to (5th April), or 7 days after (19th April). I will be out of the country from the 18th of April! Arggh!

I was so chuffed to see that the test was early in April, as I cannot move my travel dates, only to now have it hanging over my head. They say they will notify us one week before the oral exam! Sorry to whinge here, but we have to wait 3 months from application/payment to take the test, but they can only give us 7 days notice as to the final oral exam date? Is this part of the test? I think the IELTS test is designed to test one's character, not one's English! They're trying to find all the "stiff upper lip" types, those who can "take it on the chin". "There's a good chap." ;)

Oh well, if I have to take the test in May, then so be it. I suppose one more month won't matter in the grand scheme of things. I am beginning to wish that we could dispense with the medicals up front. I expect that my health will have declined by the time the medicals are due. ;)

Sorry Zorba, I took so long typing my essay that you had replied in the meantime.

Thanks for the encouraging info. I like the idea of extra points, should we need them.

I see you're in Gabarone. I wanted to take the IELTS test there to get an earlier date, but apparently they are no longer holding the IELTS test in Botswana. A pity, as I would have enjoyed the ride and the scenery. :)

HI THERE

WHEN WE WROTE IN DECEMBER I ASKED WHETHER WE COULD

DO OUT ORAL ON THE SAME DAY AS WE WERE TRAVELING FROM FRANKFORT, WHICH IS 2 HOURS FROM JHB. THEY CONSENTED. IF I WAS YOU I WOULD EMAIL MY TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS AND REQUEST FOR THE SAME DAY. YOU WILL PROBABLY GET IT.

RGDS

Just to correct Tytan on this one. It does appear that not all main applicants have to do the IELTS and that sometimes they do accept 'other evidence' but if they do require IELTS from the main applicant, they will require it from all co-applicants over 18 as well. If they do request it from the main applicant and the co-applicants do not produce it, and they dont accept other evidence for the co-applicants, the visa will still be granted but will be subject to the secondary visa charges.

In other words if you booked for Chris you should also book for yourself.

Please someone prove me wrong so that my wife doesnt have to write either. For details read form 966i.pdf

Hi Jordy

Im positive about my statement. Only the main applicant on a 457 needs to prove English proficiency.

The second applicants does not have to prove English Proficiency, do any skills assessments, or even have blood tested on medicals... WEIRD! :ilikeit:

Edited by †Y†AN

Hi Jordy

Im positive about my statement. Only the main applicant on a 457 needs to prove English proficiency.

The second applicants does not have to prove English Proficiency, do any skills assessments, or even have blood tested on medicals... WEIRD! :)

I can second that only the main applicant has to prove Eng proficiency. We just went through the motions. My husband did write the test as we plan on applying for PR when we get to OZ.

Nats