Journey to being Australian

Leon

I was contemplating whether I should bother telling our story as I really don’t contribute actively on the forum due to time constrains. Reading however some of the topics and comments I feel it might add some flavour to the mix of what it takes to become Australian. Just to be clear, it is my journey to being Australian, nobody else’s. You might or might not appreciate my comments but it is life as I experienced it for the past 3 years in Perth. :whome:

The most important aspect of immigrating and settling into a new country is “ATTITUDE”. Remember you are coming to their country, you decided you want to be here, they did not ask you to come. Please don’t come to Oz wanting to create a second SA, or still keeping the back door open to go back to SA just in case… I noticed the following comment on of the topics during the week “I merely pointed out what we have experienced thus far and excuse us if it differs from the moonshine and roses picture you are sending out to the world and your family back in RSA, just to justify to yourself and them why you have deserted them and South Africa....”

I honestly am not sure why South Africans always bring this up of deserting friends, family and country when immigrating. What a lot of BULzxv%&*@%*@@#!!!!!!!! This is the point, if you are going to live in the pass you ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT!! You will never be happy and miss out on the opportunity to experience life in the best country in the world!!! I don’t need to justify to anybody why I moved, you only have 1 life, 1 opportunity, 1 choice, 1 future. Nobody else is going to live your life or take care of you but yourself!!!! The South Africa I loved no longer exist, it is gone forever and will never return. Offcourse you can believe it will and keeps it going, like the frog in the pot of water which is slowly starting to boil………..

If you are not prepare to change your way of thinking and get out of your comfort zone and embrace your new country you are wasting your time!!!! You will be unhappy and will find it difficult to adjust to life down under. This will mean no longer driving around in your BMW, Mercedes, or 4X4, no golf course estates living (at least not in the beginning), cleaning your own home and do your own ironing, maintaining the garden yourself and etc. It is a total change of scenery! Your quality of life in relation to material goods will take a battering at first no question about it and if you are not prepared for this it will be very difficult!!!!.

In short our journey began in 2001 when my wife received a sponsored visa to work in the US. By September of that year we sold our houses, furniture and ready to go to the US. Then 9 /11 happened and her sponsorship was cancelled. To make a long story short we then started PR visa applications to Australia. It took us 1 year to get all the necessary information and documentation and our application also took 1 year for processing. We received our PR status in December 2003. We did our first entry in April 2004 visiting Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. Perth just stood out and we decided to settle in Perth early 2005. We arrived here on 2 February 2005 to start a new life. We had 4 suitcases, no jobs, and only a place to stay for 6 weeks.

Within 1 week of arrival both of us found employment (3 months contracts). Subsequently I became permanent and my wife is now on a long term contract. We bought a house in the Northern suburbs close to the sea, freeway and public transport in April 2006. It was VERY EXPENSIVE and we will not be able to effort this if my wife doesn’t work. House prices here at that time increased on a weekly basis but currently the house is worth around $150,000 more than what we paid for it in 2006 and hence I am not complaining.

After being here almost 3 years let’s start with the negatives first (if you can call it that) as some people express the opinion that discussions is only about the positive side of Australia:

• Australians complain about everything!!!

• No proper coverage of Formula 1. DSTV miles ahead!!!! Only see it late at night on channel 10. The only F1 you can see life is the Australian one. It sucks!!!!!!!!

• Eating out is very expensive and the quality of food and service for most of the time not that great. Need to add that you do get exceptions to this, but after 3 years I can honestly only recommend a hand full of restaurants in Perth which I will recommend to anybody.

• Cost of living is expensive at first but you have to compare apples with apples. People tend to convert everything back to Rand and this will drive you nuts. Rather compare what you can buy with $1 to what you can buy the equivalent in Rand (ROE 1$ = R 5.80). When you start earning $ it gets better.

• Quality of furniture not great, both our sofas were returned to the factory because of poor quality. Bring your furniture with you if you can, furniture here is expensive and not always that great on quality.

• That’s it!!

Things I miss about South Africa:

• Sunday breakfast at Buggatti’s in Brooklyn and going to the movies after worth for R32.00 a ticket, what a bargain!! Movie tickets can set you back around $12 on average in Perth.

• Quality and price of food from eating out at Mugg & Bean

• Formula 1 coverage on TV. On general Super Sport is far better on sport broadcasting than Fox.

• Open “braaivleis” fires in the “bosveld”

• Sound of the wild life at night in Kruger park

• Afternoon thunderstorms with lightning in Pretoria (Perth don’t have thunder nor lighting)

• Trees, Perth is not that big on trees, being for most part being build on sand, you tend not to find the same amount of tress here than what we use to back in Pretoria.

I will not waste time to go into why we moved here or the great things we experienced here as I it will require a fair amount of typing on my side. Let me just say this, my mother can still not believe that our house don’t have burglar bars in front of the windows or that sometimes we just forget to lock the cars or house because we just don’t think about it as it is not important.

We received our citizenship back in October and are now proudly Ozzie citizens. This was the end result of around 7 years of hard work, guts, determination, and most of all blind faith in what you are doing!!! It was not easy but definitely worth while and I will do it again to achieve this outcome if required.

We are financially match better off than in SA and one of the benefits of living in Oz is that you can compete on equal terms with everybody for promotion. Something I could not have done in SA. Coming to Oz is only the beginning, when the boys finished with their studies (1 currently at Uni and the other doing year 12 next year) we will be off again. I have the opportunity via my work to be transferred as an ex-pat to work in other countries. This again is something I could not do working in SA.

Lets be honest here, this is very personnel and people do get emotional about this subject as it will be the most difficult thing you will do in your life. You can spend hours and hours debating should you or should you not and the sad part is that there is no right or wrong. Let’s just keep it simple:

• Do you see a future for yourself and your children where you are right now?

• If yes, don’t immigrate.

• If no, seriously consider it, do your homework (it is not for everybody) and if you decide to come do it with 200% commitment. Embrace your new country make it yours. It is not South Africa and never will be (thank God for that). It is different but if you give it your best you will get the rewards.

I made a choice to become an Australian citizen, I did not keep my SA citizenship as I don’t live in the past and also don’t have any plans to go back….ever!!!!!. I am proud to be called Australian and I wear my Force and Australian rugby jumpers with pride!!

Both the boys will have qualifications to take them into the future and opened up opportunities which were not available back in SA, and that alone make this all worth while.

Guest Mauritz

Well said :whome:

It'll be great if you can share some of your experiences (first couple of years) - I'm going to open the old heart in the New Year and chuck everything out. Hopefully it might help someone.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is always great to read about what others experienced, both the good and the bad!

Edited by RenierPret

Guest mrs mupersan

Thanks Leon!!!

We hit a wobbly a couple of days ago - our 457 hasn't been approved yet and we're busy packing up the house to move in with my folks. We're both going through our own private hell - we only just moved into our first house together 5 months ago and now we're packing everything up, getting rid of a whole stack of stuff and we have absolutely NO idea what the next couple of months is going to hold for us. I'm a total control freak so this is totally doing my head in!!! A part of me just wants to crawl into a little hole and come out when we're in Sydney.

But then I read a post like yours, Leon, and I'm back on track! Thank you.

I reckon that what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger and being so far out of our comfort zones this early in the game is going to stand us in good stead when we arrive in Oz.

Happy travels!

Mandy

Leon, you lifesaver.. Thanks mate. thias helped put a bit of perspective on my life again.. Mandy explained..

Good on you mate.

Hi Leon,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic - very inspiring!

We haven't even been to visit Australia yet but a quick look at a fact sheet on the basics (weather, population, growth potential, safety etc.) looks like the best country to move to for South Africans. I am DETERMINED to make it work and I aim to have the same healthy attitude as you. Sounds good to look at the whole thing as a new beginning and to try not to take any emotional baggage about SA along. Easier for some than for others I guess. One tends to compare. We'll just have to take it as it comes!

Would like to read more detail about your experiences.

Regards,

Andre s

Leon,

I have to say I agree completely, except with the food comment. The food in Adelaide where we live is great most of the time. I travel to Melbourne often, also Syndey and have to say in my limited experience there the food is also very good in general. I guess taste plays a role.

Any way, well said with the rest, escpecially the first bit about settling in and becoming part of society, my thougths exactly. :whome: We have also blended in without any problems, because we WANTED to.

You have a marry x-mas.

Leon,

Thank you for sharing as in general this is more in line with our experiences.

I believe it's all got to do with Attitude!!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Nilo

PS: Saw a Merc 200 SLK, brand new mind you, today here in Bunbury with "gatvol" on the numberplate!!! And later "danki" numberplate in town. The SAffers can't be doing too bad in Aussie then can they????

• Eating out is very expensive and the quality of food and service for most of the time not that great. Need to add that you do get exceptions to this, but after 3 years I can honestly only recommend a hand full of restaurants in Perth which I will recommend to anybody.

Hi Leon,

Thank you for a good perspective and post, could I ask you to post some of the restaurant names in Perth.

We are moving to Perth next year, should arrive at the beginning of March and it would be great to have the info on some good eating places.

Regards

TBZ

Leon

Dankie vir jou inspirerende bydrae. Ek hou van:

" I don’t need to justify to anybody why I moved, you only have 1 life, 1 opportunity, 1 choice, 1 future. Nobody else is going to live your life or take care of you but yourself!!!! "

We say :

You only live once, make the road a journey! :ilikeit:

Well done Leon

I think that you have expressed some very pertinent "truths" and for this we thank you that is NCA's family.

Couple of points

1. Attitude - yes it is a strong determining factor as to your success in your new country

2. As an Aussie Expat the world is your oyster -as this is what we experiencing now as AUSSIES

3. Never forget where you came from eg your heritage but acknowledge as you have done your new country i.e. the country you are living in as a citizen which continues to mold your present lifeand hopefully as well your future

4. With the pride you have in wearing your force and Wallabies jumpers you will go well. Just remember to take a lot of Aussie things with you when you go on your expat journey as an Aussie and never ever stop being proud of your "new Australian" identity

Leon

You've hit the nail on the head. In my humble opinion, attitude will determine whether you make it or you break it. Our starting point was exactly what you stated and especially after becoming a statistic in crime and affirmative action, we asked ourselves; do we see a future for our kids in the RSA?

We've been in Aus since mid July '07, we've already decided that it will be better to bring family over on holiday, then for us to visit the RSA and rekindle old memories. Our future is now in Australia. Well written.

To Mrs Mupersan - I was (still am) the control freak in our household, but at a certain point it time, you'll just have to let go, accept and have faith that all will fall in place! See you in Sydney.

Carlos

Hi Leon,

We have been in Sydney for four weeks now and are having a ball. Today was a little hard, as we missed our family and friends. I cant say how inspiring your words have been to us, as this has been our attitude from the day we started this process, and hit a slight speed bump today.

Thank you for you inspiration, and may you and your family have a fantastic Christmas and New year as we will definately have after your message

Will and Gill

Well said!!!

Hi guys,

it surely helps to read about both the positive and negative aspects of migrating. And Mr & Mrs Mupersan,

I am sure at this stage where you are approaching the 'Finish Line' all your emotions and thoughts must really be in a turmoil with a big tug-of-war whether your decision was good or bad. But it seems as if you guys really did your homework and are going with the right attitude!

As we are only in the starting blocks of our application the thought of 'are you doing the right thing',etc does cross my mind, but I think it is the fear of the unknown that is the problem. Also you do get every second person querying your decision and treating you like "weg lopers". But for every one of them there is at least two others that support you and encourage you. (Not people immigrating!) Today again at our lunch as one person shoots down your decision, the next person tells you about people already in Oz and how happy they are. I can not wait for Feb to do a LSD to Brissie visiting Nilo as I am sure that will clear the 'Fear Factor'!

Thanks then with this for all the Pro's & Con's...it helps us to keep a balance.

Ax

Embrace your new country make it yours. It is not South Africa and never will be (thank God for that). It is different but if you give it your best you will get the rewards.

This really sums it all up for me!

We are not going on an LSD - our minds are made up. We will fit in, come hell or high water!

It saddens me that there as so much less said on this positive post in comparison to the negative one. Maybe because we all like to argue a point, who knows.

I will say that immigration is difficult! It is no moonshine and roses affair! It is being replanted into a soil you do not know! It is mixing with people you do not really understand. it is having holidays you'r not used too! It is products you've never tried. It is a system you can not bribe! It is roads and rules you do not know! It is missing your family and friends!!

But all that said migration is also a fun thing to do, something that is interesting and chalenging! Something you can do and know you have a future here. A rosy future! The quality of products are great! The system works! The people are friendly! Their animals gets looked after I mention this because of the Ghandi quote! I could phone and send sms'es yesterday as normal not like in SA where the lines were busy! I can carry on and on and on!!

One BIG thing not to do is to isolate yourself, get out there and get to know people! Don't be shy! Form new friendships find new places to go enjoy your new country!!!

We LOVE it here in Australia!!!! We love love love it!!!!

Lovies

N

We LOVE it here in Australia!!!! We love love love it!!!!

Lovies

N

Hi N

I glad you love it we do too thats why nothing compares to it .. say hi to my Brissie wont ya from a freezing cold Nor Cal

Hi Norcal,

I shall do that for you!! I'll stand on my house's roof and shout "HI BRISSIE FROM ALL THAT LOVES YOU!!!" do you think my neighbours will think I'm a bit nutty?? Ag no worries mate, I am nutty and happy!!!

Must admit that WA is dem HOT!!!!! 41 degrees today and 40 yesterday!! WOW!!! it's also not at all humid, I feel like a raison!!

Nope, looks like I's a Queensland girl for sure!! And another miracle to add to the list of miracles we have been blessed with this past year!!

Oh, PS, my daughter and hubby will be touring USA next year I think about March, maybe they should look you up and chat Afrikaans a bit, well my daughter as her hubby's afrikaans is "adorable"?

Lovies

Nilo

Hi Norcal,

I shall do that for you!! I'll stand on my house's roof and shout "HI BRISSIE FROM ALL THAT LOVES YOU!!!" do you think my neighbours will think I'm a bit nutty?? Ag no worries mate, I am nutty and happy!!!

Must admit that WA is dem HOT!!!!! 41 degrees today and 40 yesterday!! WOW!!! it's also not at all humid, I feel like a raison!!

Nope, looks like I's a Queensland girl for sure!! And another miracle to add to the list of miracles we have been blessed with this past year!!

Oh, PS, my daughter and hubby will be touring USA next year I think about March, maybe they should look you up and chat Afrikaans a bit, well my daughter as her hubby's afrikaans is "adorable"?

Lovies

Nilo

No worries anytime just PM me you and your DH and fam are welcome :ilikeit:

Leon has brought some salient truths to us all.

In fact, I'd like to add . . . . "isn't Life about Attitude?"

I keep telling my kids about consequences and attitude.

My young bloke is going out with a great girl from church. His attitude is disappointing at times, but he will learn hopefully.

We can go thro Life seeing it as a half full glass or a half empty glass . . . . . . . same deal, either way!

Whether we're talking about the work place, marriage, emigration to a new land, or having a family . . . . . it's all about Attitude.

A good Attitude can turn a bad marriage around from a boring, manipulative marriage into a fun caring relationship that we look forward to waking up to each day.

It can make Australia seem like a Land of Promise and Opportunity (the "half full" glass scenario) or a place where we are just wasting the months and years away till we can go back to our old comfort zone (the "half empty" glass)

Only you can make this big country a success, no matter whether you kick off life here in a one bedroom flat or a five bedroom mansion.

Rock up with a lousy Attitude and Aussies will probably tell you that the plane flies back as often as it comes!

:lol: Hear, hear to all that's been said. I do sometimes wonder though what is to happen with South Africans who simply were born with the glass being half empty. The kind of people I would have said a while ago they are not the type who should emigrate, ever. Are they going to just have to stay there until they have no choice anymore and are forced to leave with whatever they can fit into a few suitcases like my family from Zimbabwe had to do and go wherever will accept them without having any choice at all anymore? What can we do to help people like that along the way? Is there anything we can do at all??? Are they simply doomed to a life as prisoners in their own homes simply because they cannot or choose not to adapt? Life is made up of all sorts and some seem to just be sort of born into being the liquorice in the allsorts... :lol:

Probably time for bed before I get even more contemplative...

Thanks for the post, Leon. :ilikeit:

Too add to the attitude discussion:

I like some of the quotes which you can find at:

http://lucymacdonald.typepad.com/positive_perspective_quot/

Focus on Your Attitude

Attitude is the way you mentally look at the world around you. It is how you view your environment and your future. It is the focus you develop toward life itself.

Author Unknown

The Attiude You Bring to Life

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Kahlil Gibran

Wisdom and Knowledge

Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.

Sandra Carey

Friends

A friend is someone who sees through you and still enjoys the view.

Wilma Askinas

So true...

Booh Yah!

I also look forward to being an Aussie and not looking back.

I even wish I could loose my accent and be mistaken for an Aussie.

Good one mate.