GREAT NEWS for Accountants Skills Assessment

Dedrei

I have just found the following bit of information, and I am sure some of you will be great pleased about it.

The below is quoted from NIA (http://www.nia.com.au) site:

Applicants and agents are advised that the following change to assessment arrangements and guidelines is to take immediate effect, ie. from 6 September 2007:

Applicants have normally been required to provide evidence in relation to the satisfactory completion of 9 of 12 core study areas. Two of these study areas have been Australian Company Law and Australian Taxation Law.

Effective immediately, applicants may now choose to provide evidence in relation to the satisfactory completion of Company Law and Taxation Law completed in their degree program in the home country (ie. non Australian Company Law and non Australian Taxation Law).

This change in assessment arrangements will apply to assessment applications already lodged and currently in process with the National Institute of Accountants.

Any post August 2002 applicant who has previously received a 'not suitable' assessment from this office by virtue of not having studied Australian taxation and Australian company law may now seek a formal re-assessment. A fee of A$100 is to apply to cover administrative costs.

The same thing is said in not so many word on the CA site http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/A119820234

Applicants for migration assessment are required to provide evidence in relation to the satisfactory completion of 9 out of 12 core knowledge areas.

On 1 September 2007, the Institute updated the core knowledge criteria of Corporations’ Law and Taxation Law. Both core knowledge areas are now non-country specific. Applicants can now provide evidence of these areas from overseas degree programs.

This change will apply to all applications received on or after 1 September 2007

So basically the requirement of the 9 out of 12 subjects where most of us failed cause you needed Aussie tax & company law can now apply as they will count SA tax & company law as part of the subjects required. How cool is that??? :ilikeitit: If you have previously failed an assessment I would suggest you try again.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this one, so that some newbies can see it as well.

That was probably the best moment in this whole application process, the day I saw that they changed the requirements for tax and law!!! Can't accurately describe my relief!! Though I still have to do those subjects once I am Down Under, it will be with the stress of the application behind me! :D

Natalie, I do feel for you, but your hubby gets you in at least! :rolleyes:

My only ticket is me! :blush:

B) Maria