IT Positions

martyn

Firstly to be clear I am not involved in recruitment in any way, however in my internal company e-mail they mentioned they are recruiting IT professionals from South Africa. They apparently have access to a number of 457 visas and I know in Brisbane they are particularly keen on .NET professionals. If you are interested they have set up a web page:

http://www.dialogcareers.com/southafrica

Good Luck :ilikeit:

Martyn

Vreeslik baie dankie. :( Manlief is in Brisbane en sal kyk of hy by hulle regkom (met die Here se genade).

Nogmaals baie dankie dat julle omgee vir ons ander wat nog hier is, ons hoop om eendag dieselfde te doen.

Groete

Aniena en gesin

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know much about the company? If one applied and was offered a position - are they stable? Do they have a high staff turn over? Any info at all?

Does anyone know much about the company? If one applied and was offered a position - are they stable? Do they have a high staff turn over? Any info at all?

Craig: these guys actually gave me a call last year, November, ironically as I was getting ready to fly to Oz for an LSD and some interviews. Unfortunately Brisbane wasn't on my list of places to visit back then, or I would have gone. I spoke to a chap who was looking at hiring, and he had a saffer in there with him (it was surreal to hear an SA accent, from Durban, after all the Aussies I'd been interviewing with over the phone). Really nice guy, and he tried really hard to sell Brisbane to me as well, certainly sounds like they have their ducks in a row.

Even tho I didn't go to Brisbane, I did in fact meet with the head of their Melbourne branch, also thoroughly nice guy, head screwed on right, quite particular about what they were looking for, and didn't beat around the bush. I did actually ask him about staff turnover (I always do) and he said they didn't really have a problem with it, people came and left as they would any other company. The company did seem to be going places (had literally just moved into bigger offices, were still unpacking some boxes and putting decals outside the elevators). I certainly have no complaints about their requirements and interview process, it was all very professionally handled.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the job, but they weren't looking for someone with my skills right then (if I remember right they were looking for people with java skills, sounded like the internet-facing part of their business was taking off in a major way).

So I would recommend them as someone to at least chat to, they're not a fly-by-night kind of place, they're completely legit and very professional.

HTH :whome:

Thanks Wislon. Their site looks very pro. Brisbane looks like quite a good place to settle into. Do you know if they offer at least average salaries? I'm not sure what people earn there - but it looks like developer (Intermediate) range from between 50K and 70K.. I've seen the odd offering 100K.

What would be an acceptable salary for a 33 year old with a wife and 2 (very) young kids?

Thanks Wislon. Their site looks very pro. Brisbane looks like quite a good place to settle into. Do you know if they offer at least average salaries? I'm not sure what people earn there - but it looks like developer (Intermediate) range from between 50K and 70K.. I've seen the odd offering 100K.

What would be an acceptable salary for a 33 year old with a wife and 2 (very) young kids?

Hey Craig,

It's Jacques here...you and I studied together at Cape Tech and bumped into each other at the Keg in Blouberg a while back.

You mentioned you guys were also heading out to Oz. Did you come right with your dealings with the company above?

I'm also interested in applying (would have preferred if it were in Perth though).

Chat to you soon buddy.

Cheers

Jacques (Victor)

Hiya Jacques!

Nice to hear from you. I'm thinking about speaking to them, but I need to work out when I will be able to go across. But if I speak to them, I'll post here and share my findings. Hope others will too...

Hiya Jacques!

Nice to hear from you. I'm thinking about speaking to them, but I need to work out when I will be able to go across. But if I speak to them, I'll post here and share my findings. Hope others will too...

Well I applied for one of their positions 2 days ago...will let everyone know if I hear something.

I just got offered a position with them... :ilikeit:

Gosh!

WOW Congrats!!!!! :whome: Which position did you go for? Have you accepted?

I too applied, but was told to apply once in Australia again, as my PR visa was due to come through then. Well I'm on my way to Australia soon, and will contact them again.

I just got offered a position with them... :whome:

Gosh!

Craig: Ditto. Was shocked out of my socks this morning by a surprise phone call (was only expecting to hear a yea/nay next week sometime). They're sending the contract through next week for me to take a look at. Can't believe it happened that quickly after all the :whome: I went through with a previous company and the 457.

(heehee I like the little "censored" mannetjie, didn't realise they blocked certain cusswords :angry: )

Edited by wislon

Craig: Ditto. Was shocked out of my socks this morning by a surprise phone call (was only expecting to hear a yea/nay next week sometime). They're sending the contract through next week for me to take a look at. Can't believe it happened that quickly after all the :censored: I went through with a previous company and the 457.

(heehee I like the little "censored" mannetjie, didn't realise they blocked certain cusswords :lol: )

Well I might just be able to say Ditto too next week (hold thumbs) :ilikeit:

I just got a mail and they're wanting to chat to me on Tuesday (Monday is Oz day?). Seems I might get into Perth as well as it's thier Perth branch that will be interviewing me.

Well I might just be able to say Ditto too next week (hold thumbs) :censored:

I just got a mail and they're wanting to chat to me on Tuesday (Monday is Oz day?). Seems I might get into Perth as well as it's thier Perth branch that will be interviewing me.

Hey Jacques, we'll hold thumbs for you too! :ilikeit:

It certainly sounds like they're reeling in the saffers at quite a rate! The one I spoke to last November did mention something about the SA work ethic being popular over there, and that he, personally, couldn't meet the supply/demand of skilled folks fast enough.

Best of luck, and let us know here, either way? :lol:

Congrats to both of you who got offers :D

Craig: Dialog are very solid, they have probably around 500 consultants and are doing very well in the current strong market. They say they have never made a consultant reduntant so job security is as much as you can expect these days.

Jaques, good luck for tuesday :ilikeit:

btw with regards IT salaries in Brisbane it obviously depends on experience and visa. I would expect an experienced senior developer to get 65-90k + super, with 75k + super being about the norm. Without a visa expect to be lower though, you are costing any company time and money to get your visa so they are looking for a return on that.

Hi guys. I submitted an app for a .NET dev position last night. Will keep you informed on how it goes.

Thanks for posting about them Martyn.

I've been sitting quietly on the sidelines... did not want to jinx myself... I have just signed and mailed back my letter of offer for a Project Management position at Dialog's Melbourne offices!!! If you check my intro to the forum you will see I have been at this for around 6 years now... tried 136, not enough points, 457 & did about 4 LS&D trips and tried to arrange interviews while there, then when my sister got PR in 2006 then FINALLY they could sponsor me, only to inform me a couple of days later that they were returning to SA???? I seriously thought that was IT for me... a dream down the drain!!!

Then towards the end of the year I went back onto the forum and saw Martyn's posting... I decided "what the hell"... let me have yet another go at this... Submitted my CV 29/12/07, Dialog called me the 15/01/08 when they returned from leave to confirm I was serious about moving, interviewed me telephonically the next day, contacted my references, called me Friday 25/01 to make me a verbal offer and the letter of offer / contract was in my inbox this morning...

This is surely proof that persistence pays off???? I am still reeling from the shock!!!

MARTYN - THANK YOU!!!! You have had a major hand in helping me make a 6 year dream a reality!!! One little posting made such a huge difference!

Just got my offer as well for developer position in Brisbane. :) Thanks Martyn. Looks good! Start next month!

Tracey, if you're ever my PM, be nice to me!!! :)

Just got my offer as well for developer position in Brisbane. :) Thanks Martyn. Looks good! Start next month!

Tracey, if you're ever my PM, be nice to me!!! :)

Congrats all!! I'm really excited for you!

A question...Craig. What was all discussed in your interview with them? What are they prepared to cover as part of your move as well as other "benefits" of sorts?

Also what type of prepping did you do?

I'm honestly not sure what to ask them all when I have my interview.

Cheers

Jacques

MARTYN - THANK YOU!!!! You have had a major hand in helping me make a 6 year dream a reality!!! One little posting made such a huge difference!

Wow that's great :cry: I'm so glad for you and it's so nice to think that the posting has made a difference for people. How lucky too that I actually bothered to read my company newsletter for once too :lol:

Martyn, do you work for them?

Yes I do! As I said in my OP I'm not involved in recruitment I just saw the ad in the newsletter....

Tracey: We should make you some sort of forum "poster girl" for persistence! :unsure:

Got my job offer for a .NET dev in Brisbane this morning, just need to fill it out, scan it in and send it back. Will hopefully start in a few of months once the 457 visa is ironed out. So far these folks are totally on the ball, stuff arrives when they say it will, it's so refreshing!

Martyn: are there a lot of saffers working for Dialog? Looks like you've made someone's day for a lot of people simply by starting this post... thanks a lot by the way! :blink:

Jacques: How did your interview go (assuming you heard from them today)?