DSTV

Overtaker

Hi,

I got the following response to my queries re DSTV in Perth:

You will be able to receive the DSTV programmes / channels in Perth and you would need a 2.4 meter C-band dish with a C-band Lnbf which you can purchase from a satellite dealer in Perth.You will have the subscribe for a 12 month contract and the rates are Rands 550.00 per month and 12 months will be Rands 6600.00 and payment to be paid in advance.

I can send the smart card to you via courier and I am sure you can purchase a DSTV compatible decoder locally.

Regards,

Errol Voigt

Space Television (PTY) LTD.

Tel:+27 11 493 5783

Fax:+27 11 493 1726 & +27 11 493 1611

Mobile: +27 82 777 1448

E-Mail:evoigt@spacetv.co.za

Web: www.spacetv.co.za

[\QUOTE]

interesting... but anyone know what a c-Bnad Lnb is, and how its different from what they use in RSA. I've got my whole installation here with me, so can I just hook up my hardware on to a 2.4 m dish and I'm sorted, or do I need to buy some other stuff?

Overtaker

I think you are starting a DSTV revolution in Perth!

Nilo

PS: And only $1100 per year, what a bargain!

Edited by Nilo

PS: And only $1100 per year, what a bargain!

What are the going rates for the equivelant Pay TV in Australia, and how does the Pay TV there compare to Monochoice?

We're only on a selection package and we pay $49 per month I think the whole thing is just over a hundred per month on a 24 month contract.

Comparing, the same old same old. Lots of repeats and no M-net. Would love to watch Carte Blanche.

• 9 months later...

Have anybody actual installed this in Perth?

I would like to find out some detail prior to pursuing this

Thanks

Quintin

Hi Guys

Sent Errol an email for possible installation in Melbourne...

Will advise response.

Joefromsa

Just remember you will be getting DSTV Africa and not DSTV South Africa so no KYKNET and MNET would be the african version. http://www.dstvafrica.com/.

http://www.kuduclub.com/ is a much better and cheaper option IMO.

You'll need quite a large dish in Melbourne.

Channel Listing

http://www.satcodx3.com/0686/eng/ scroll down to 15U 3.863 GHz V

Footprint

http://www.satcodx.info/INT/INT010CV.jpg

Edited by GTrotter

I can't answer the actual question of whether it's possible to get DSTV in Perth.

However, most Australians watch Foxtel in the capital cities and Austar in the country areas of the eastern States.

I pay $54.95 a month to Foxtel and get all my Rugby League games to watch. My wife likes the English comedies and Lifestyle programs from time to time.

All the Super 14 Rugby Union games are also viewable live and later in the week (Tuesdays).

http://www.foxtel.com.au

http://www.austar.com.au

Edited by Bob

Foxtel is great

I get to watch pretty much everything I watched in SA, except for the purely South African shows.

So no Carte Blanche etc, but I get all the sport, watched currie cup this weekend etc etc.

I pay $122 a month and that is for 2 decoders and the IQ (Like PVR in SA) and that is for the full range of channels.

I have had Foxtel and Foxtel IQ (like PVR) pretty much since my arrival.

I'm on the full package and its deceent enough, but I honestly have to say that I prefer DSTV. Foxtel has a few additional channels but I find that the shows are really old. Many of the series that are currently being aired have already come and gone in SA.

Furthermore, the sports channels cannot compete with Supersport.

As for "free to view TV" - Aus kicks heiny! SABC is K A K in comparison...

I have had Foxtel and Foxtel IQ (like PVR) pretty much since my arrival.

I'm on the full package and its deceent enough, but I honestly have to say that I prefer DSTV. Foxtel has a few additional channels but I find that the shows are really old. Many of the series that are currently being aired have already come and gone in SA.

Furthermore, the sports channels cannot compete with Supersport.

As for "free to view TV" - Aus kicks heiny! SABC is K A K in comparison...

Tytan is spot on correct. I used to complain like hell about DSTV but IMHO it beats Fox hands down. Fox has no channel like Mnet. also the sports channels suck. Did you know there is not a single second of the Olympics on them. it is only on the free to air channels between other programs

If you live in AUS the internet is any case cheap enough to get all the movies and tv shows without forking out cash for PAY TV. In the UK I never had cable just downloaded everything :)

Not too sure if you can get the DSTV signal in Austalia as far I can tell.

DSTV beams its signal on KU band and C band in Africa. The KU band is a strong signal that can be used with the standard small dish in SA; C Band is a weaker signal and you need something called a BUD - Big Ugly Dish!

The DSTV Africa service is beamed via C band by Intelsat-10. You can do a Google search for "Intelsat-10" and it will show you the "foot print" of the signal. Some of the websites shows that the signal does not go further East than the Seychelles in the southern hemispher - that's still very far from Oz. And then someone earlier showed a link where the footprint did cover Oz. Rather confusing! It's interesting though that the website of DSTV Africa has a footprint map and it does not extend much further than the Seychelles...

Edited by Julian (Jules)

... so can I just hook up my hardware on to a 2.4 m dish and I'm sorted, or do I need to buy some other stuff?

Even if the signal reached Australia, your DSTV decoder is for KU Band satellite, so it's not compatible with a BUD and the C-band LNB (the long arm in front of the dish). You would need to buy the BUD dish (and 2.4m is maybe a little small for the C Band hobbyist), C Band LNB feedhorn and a C band satellite receiver (the free-to-air receiver would need to have a compatible smart card slot to accept the DSTV card). Some C band satellite receivers don't used smart cards, i.e. they are designed for free-to-air satellites. It can get very expensive to buy everything!

Tytan is spot on correct. I used to complain like hell about DSTV but IMHO it beats Fox hands down. Fox has no channel like Mnet. also the sports channels suck. Did you know there is not a single second of the Olympics on them. it is only on the free to air channels between other programs

I suppose that all depends on what you enjoy watching.

When it comes to sports, I can not agree that fox is behind DSTV. They are pretty much the same. Every major sport is shown that is also shown in SA. Tennis, Soccer, Cricket, Rugby etc, but then there are also the Aussie sports like rugby league and the footy.

As for the olympics, Channel 7 won the rights to broadcast it so that is why it is not on foxtel. Pretty much the same as when SABC wins the rights to broadcast events so that all of SA can view it.

I am a football (soccer) freak, and the best thing about foxtel compared to Supersport, is that I don't have to listen to Terribly Painful and Gary Bailey profess their love for all things Man Utd for hours on end (Even when it is other teams playing)

I dont think Foxtel is any better r any worse than DSTV, it is just different.

I dont think Foxtel is any better r any worse than DSTV, it is just different.

I suppose so, but dont you miss having a channel like Mnet?

DSTV is for sure available in Perth. You need a 2.4m dish but 3m is recommended. You can use a normal Foxtel decoder (which is in any case manufactured in South Africa by DSTV's supplier). You'll need to get a smartcard mailed/couriered to Australia and away you go. You can subscribe via the internet on DSTV's site.

Zebras African Steakhouse in Perth (Address : 1 Point Walter Rd, Bicton just off Canning Highway) has DSTV available for all South African sport etc.

http://www.zebras.theguide.com.au

A Zimbabwean guy (Dean) is doing DSTV installations in Perth. I’ve got his business card somewhere and I'll pass his details. He’s a Foxtel and Telstra installer and I met him when he installed my Foxtel.

I'll get DSTV once I buy a home. My land lord won't be happy with a 3m dish on the premises. But Foxtel is a huge disappointment once you've had DSTV. The Currie Cup games are only showed a week later. At least the Super 14 and Tri-Nations ars shown live. I believe the live Currie Cup broadcast rights are fixed for SA and UK only till 2010.

So stop wondering, DSTV is alive in Perth! :ilikeit:

Edited by Almost Aussie

I have ordered the equipment from Errol at Spacetv, and yes you will get DSTV Africa, that excluded KykNet but lead to believe include Mnet

I have ordered the equipment from Errol at Spacetv, and yes you will get DSTV Africa, that excluded KykNet but lead to believe include Mnet
Mnet Africa - which releases shows differently to Mnet SA. So not as great as your old local version of Mnet.

Not missleading, just not fully informing.

DSTV is for sure available in Perth. You need a 2.4m dish but 3m is recommended. You can use a normal Foxtel decoder (which is in any case manufactured in South Africa by DSTV's supplier). You'll need to get a smartcard mailed/couriered to Australia and away you go. You can subscribe via the internet on DSTV's site.

Zebras African Steakhouse in Perth (Address : 1 Point Walter Rd, Bicton just off Canning Highway) has DSTV available for all South African sport etc.

http://www.zebras.theguide.com.au

A Zimbabwean guy (Dean) is doing DSTV installations in Perth. I’ve got his business card somewhere and I'll pass his details. He’s a Foxtel and Telstra installer and I met him when he installed my Foxtel.

I'll get DSTV once I buy a home. My land lord won't be happy with a 3m dish on the premises. But Foxtel is a huge disappointment once you've had DSTV. The Currie Cup games are only showed a week later. At least the Super 14 and Tri-Nations ars shown live. I believe the live Currie Cup broadcast rights are fixed for SA and UK only till 2010.

So stop wondering, DSTV is alive in Perth! :thumbdown:

Thanks for the useful info.

I was just wondering with the bigger dish than the stock standard Foxtel one would you need council permission to have it installed? Or perhaps approval from the neighbours?

I was just wondering with the bigger dish than the stock standard Foxtel one would you need council permission to have it installed? Or perhaps approval from the neighbours?

I would assume not, but then, the Aussies can make an issue out of nothing. Still beter than having a high crime rate though :ilikeit:

You need your neighbours permission

DSTV is for sure available in Perth. You need a 2.4m dish but 3m is recommended.

What size would be recommended for cities like Sydney and Melbourne? I'm making the safe assumption that the signal gets weaker the further east you go. Let's hope the dish isn't so big that you'd need to get the mayor's permission :huh::ilikeit:

I suppose so, but dont you miss having a channel like Mnet?

Actualy no, I don't.

There was never anything that I would watch on MNet that I am not able to watch here.

(I never watched Carte Blanche)

What is so special about MNet that we cant get here? I am not asking this to be rude or anything, I am seriosuly asking because maybe I have just forgotten what was on MNet that I used to watch?

The only reason you guys, in Oz already, should be watching Carte Blanche is because it will definitly keep you there...

It is so depressing every sunday night. Its my weekly wake up call as to why we doing the move