Giving birth at a Public Hospital in Oz

GottaGo

Hi,

Can anyone share their experiences of having their baby at a public hospital in Australia.

We're going to Perth in Jan 08. Baby due in April 08!!!

Not sure if we'll have private medical care by then. What are the costs at a public hospital?

Thanks,

SallyM

post-3289-1190546290.jpghi

my dogtertjie was hier gebore ...ons het op n 457 visa oor gekom en moes ook self vir die geboorte betaal...$3000 wat n mens af betaal... hulle verdeel dit met die tyd wat jy op jou visa oor het....ek het n normale geboorte gehad maar het alles gebruik en die hospitaal se gas leeg gesuig so ek dink al wat dit dalk n bietjie duurder sal maak is n keiser of iets...die kraam sale hier is wonderlik hulle dra jou op hulle hande en n mens voel somer gou beter die midwifes hier weet net wat om te se en ek wat my eerste kind gehad het was dit lekker om te weet dat ek in die regte hande is...

sterkte en moet regtig nie julle bekommer nie .... hulle is regtig oulik ...

I think it depends on your visa, if you have PR (Permanent Residence) then you are smiling because its not only free but you gert paid a baby allowance to help you set up with things like prams, baby gear etc.

I see the previous post mentioned $3000.00 and 457 visa which means they are not PR.

Our daughter was born in regional WA and we had a fantastic experience.

good luck

Thanks!

We will have our Permanent residence visa. Also wondering how they feel about elective caesars at public hospitals.

SallyM

Thanks!

We will have our Permanent residence visa. Also wondering how they feel about elective caesars at public hospitals.

SallyM

They are not keen at all on elective casers here its all natural unless you have a very good reason best to discuss with your Doc.

Hi

If you want elective ceasar, your best option is private. But that can be very pricey. Just have a chat to your doc when you get here.

Cheers

Dedrei

Hi

I'm not sure if you'll have the same options in WA as you have in QLD, but here I'm choosing to be a private patient at a public hospital - if you've got PR and medical insurance then it will only cost around $250 out-of-pocket expenses, and you'd have the option of an elective caesarian - without having to 'sell' the idea to your doctor.

We've also got a bub arriving in April, what date are you due?!

Good luck!

Clare

Hi,

Thanks for those replies.

Clare - I'm due on April 20th. Need to look into Private Medical Insurance. Who are you with and what's the monthly cost? That sounds like a good option. If you're a private patient at a public hosptial, do you get to see the same obsetrician or whoever is on duty? Are you having natural birth?

SallyM

Hi Ladies,

Just a question because when I had mine it wasn't elective ceasar but Epidurals that was the "in" thing.

Why would you want an elective ceasar? Why might that be better, for mom or baby? Give me your thoughts.

Lovies

Nilo

Hi Sally

Almost a snap, I'm due on the 21st!!

Yes, I'll be seeing the same obstetrician each time from 18 weeks til delivery. I am probably going to have an 'elective' caesar, as things went very wrong with my first labour and I've been warned there's a chance the same will happen again. So because things will be 'planned' I'm pretty sure my obstetrician will be the one to deliver the bub. Not quite sure what would happen with spontaneous labour and a natural delivery - whether you'd get whoever was on duty, or whether your doc would come in specially - will ask at my first appointment if you like.

Our medical cover is with MBF, we're on a corporate plan through Mart's work, so they subsidise part of the premiums, plus they cover the $500 hospital excess. I don't think they're one of the cheapest, so maybe have an ask around the forum about medical plans.

Nilo, to answer your question...

Last time round I was going to be the ultimate 'earth mother' - I wanted a water birth, no drugs, I listened to a hypnobirthing tape every day for six weeks etc. Then reality hit and my body wasn't on the same page, and Tash and I were lucky to survive. I'm all for natural deliveries, but I just can't face a repeat performance!!

Clare x

Hi,

Just remember that you will have to be a private health member for at least 12 months before claiming any private cost. ( some say only 9 months)

And I have found that my Gynea did not frown on me wanting a elective caeser ( although I MUST have one because of back problems, sugar problems etc)

So if you want one.. go for it.

Sw

Hiya

I'm pretty sure that you just have to have continuous private cover anywhere in the world for the 9 or 12 months before - i.e. as long as you're on medical aid until you leave South Africa, and bring proof of that with you, and join a medical fund within 30 days of arriving in Aus, you should be covered. That's how MBF worked with us coming from England, probably worth emailing a few of the providers and checking with them though.

Clare x

Thanks ladies. Really useful info!

Clare...funny to find someone with such a close date to me!! This is our first and it has taken us almost 5 years to get to this point! I'm going to have to stay calm and not worry about stuff I can't organise until we get there. Like finding a dr and which hosptial and, and, and....oh, yes buying the cot and pram and all the rest... Breathe, breathe...

My mom and step dad will be coming out for the birth thank goodness.

Clare, here's my email: s_kellas@hotmail.com. Drop me a mail if you want to keep in touch and message. (AND don't mind me picking your brains every now and again!!)

Going to ask some SA folk we know in Perth (who are at the company my husband will be going to) about what Private Schemes they're on.

Thanks,

Have a good week.

SallyM

Hi,

We are in a similar situation - my wife is due middle February 2008 and we are looking at moving to Sydney (on a 457 visa) middle December 2007.

My wife wants a ceasarian and we would like to know what the best and most cost effective way would be of doing this. Is there a private medical firm (in Sydney) that will accept you if you are on a 457 visa, just landed in the country and 2 months later your wife gives birth?

Your input and advise will be highly apppreciated.

Regards,

Marius

Is there a private medical firm (in Sydney) that will accept you if you are on a 457 visa, just landed in the country and 2 months later your wife gives birth?

Hi Marius

Without being the voice of doom, will your wife be allowed to fly at 7 months?

Clare

• 1 month later...
Hi Marius

Without being the voice of doom, will your wife be allowed to fly at 7 months?

Clare

Good Q, Clare...I don't think ANY airline will allow or accommodate a flight for 7month pregnant women. I think the cut off is 6months (24weeks)...Marius, praat met die gynae..en natuurlik die airline...dis in die baba se "best interest"...is die idee om baba in Ozzie te he?

Het jul al besluit waarheen in sydney?

groete

antz

Hi Clare, Antzy,

It actually doesnt matter anymore as we have decided that I will go to Sydney in January, come back for the birth in February, go back to Sydney by myself in March and wait for my family to join me later (once their visas are completed).

Its going to be tough on the family but seems like the only way that'll work.

Regards,

Marius

PS: From SAA's website: "Woman will be accepted for international travel up to 35 weeks of pregnancy"

Hi Marius

All the very best for you and your wife, hope the time flies and your new family will be able to join you quickly!

Clare

Hi Ladies,

Just a question because when I had mine it wasn't elective ceasar but Epidurals that was the "in" thing.

Why would you want an elective ceasar? Why might that be better, for mom or baby? Give me your thoughts.

Lovies

Nilo

Hey Nilo,

We're both GP/Obstetricians which basically means we manage deliveries and do Caesars as necessary. We try to deliver our patients in the way that ensures a healthy mother, and a healthy baby.... Sometimes that means having to do a Caesar, but I don't believe that that's the best way to deliver a baby all the time. It is, after all abdominal surgery and does have it's complications. I've had several patients over the years who have had a successful normal birth after having had a caesarian section for their first birth. Every single one of them preferred the normal birth over the surgery and chose to have a vaginal delivery if they had a third pregnancy.

I admit that Caesars have saved lives (mother's and babies) and since the majority of deliveries going wrong tend to happen in the early hours of the morning, elective surgery in daylight hours would ensure me a good night's sleep. I'm probably not an immoral or shrewd enough businessman to risk my patient's health in order to do unecessary operations that would line my pockets and keep me well rested!

Hi, I am in a similar situaton . I am still in SA and my baby is due 15 March. My doctor told me I could fly until 28 weeks, and was planning to fly end of Decmeber. But also concerned on how easy is to get a place in the public hospital, I also do need a c -section. OR if I will be able to apply for private health cover and be covered for pregnancy, taking in consideration that I am on medical aid now.

Or also considering going to NZ to have baby since i Have family there, but not sure if with an OZ PR you do have access to public health care in NZ>

ANy information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrea

Hi Andrea

You have to apply for Medicare once your'e in Oz. If you are going to have the baby in NZ, you are entitled to make use of their Public Healthcare. I had a nasty cold when we arrived in Auckland, went to one of the hospitals and had a Medicare Card - therefore, I had to pay a small fee. That was 2 years ago and things do change on regular basis. But if you are admitted to a hospital in NZ, you don't have to pay anything.

Look at the following:

www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/resources/services_for_travellers/1856-26-health-care-while-travelling-overseas-new-zealand.pdf

or visit the following website for advice:

www.smartraveller.gov.au

Hope this helps

Madelein

Hi,

Thanks for those replies.

Clare - I'm due on April 20th. Need to look into Private Medical Insurance. Who are you with and what's the monthly cost? That sounds like a good option. If you're a private patient at a public hosptial, do you get to see the same obsetrician or whoever is on duty? Are you having natural birth?

SallyM

Private health insurance funds won't cover you for pregnancy related issues for the first 9 months.

If every pregnant woman in Australia went into a private health fund and got cover for having a baby straight away without having paid a penny previously into the health fund, then it would be a huge outgoing expense on the fund without having had the chance to build any funds up first.

Health funds around Australia therefore put a 9 months waiting period on pregnancy payments as a result.

Private health insurance funds won't cover you for pregnancy related issues for the first 9 months.

If every pregnant woman in Australia went into a private health fund and got cover for having a baby straight away without having paid a penny previously into the health fund, then it would be a huge outgoing expense on the fund without having had the chance to build any funds up first.

Health funds around Australia therefore put a 9 months waiting period on pregnancy payments as a result.

Hi Bob

I'm not sure if this is the case with all funds - IF you can prove that you've had continuous private medical cover (in another country) beforehand. We presented a letter of membership from our UK medical insurer and had no waiting period. Hopefully if people coming from SA bring letters from medical aids this shouldn't be an issue?

Clare

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Ladies,

Lovies

Nilo

I had 2 elective C-Sections and I would do it again.