Sydney suburbs

Steven & Janis

Hello,

We will be moving to Sydney in November / December after being in Adelaide for 1 year. My office location will be in the North Ryde area so I am looking for a good suburb relatively close for a house, schools etc. Can anybody from Sydney recommend a good suburb ( quiet, not too expensive, good public schools )within a 1 hour drive of North Ryde in the $500 a week bracket.

Thanks.

The Hills district i.e. Pennant Hills, Cherrybrook, Castle Hill etc. is fairly close to N Ryde and has good value. If you like the baech though and are willing to travel up to an hour (probably 40 mins.) some of the Northern Beaches suburbs like Narrabeen, Warriewood and Mona Vale are worth looking at. Go to realestate.com.au and you'll get a good idea of what you can get.

Hi

You should seriously consider West Pymble. Its a good area and about 10 minutes to North Ryde. If you are wanting to be on a railway line for some reason then Pymble, Turramurra, St Ives, Gordon are about 20 minutes away and there are stations along the line with trains that go into the city. West Pymble is more reasonable than the others but you can still find property from $480 upwards depending on how big a place you need. Have a look at realestate and also contact the agents and ask for their lists when you arrive. The schools on the North Shore all have good names those that really spring to mind are St Ives Primary, Pymble Primary, Wahroonga Primary (Bush School). I really like South Turramurra also and there is also a good primary school near by. If you are looking at High Schools then Turramurra High is close by. All the areas above are about 25 - 30 minutes to the beach.

How old are your children? Please feel free to pm me if you need any help.

I am sure you will love Syndey.

Good Luck

S

Hi Steven and Janis,

I live in the Hills in an area called Dural. If there are any questions I can answer regarding the Hills, please let me know.

SAS

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I am looking now at realestate.com so I will let you know how it goes.

We were originally put off about going to Sydney as most of the people I had spoken to here in Adelaide had slated the place as being too expensive, too fast etc.

Over the past couple of weeks however I have spoken to some people who either live in Sydney or commute from Adelaide to Sydney on a regular basis and they all agreed that the cost of living gap had narrowed over the past few years to a point where some things are actually cheaper in Sydney then Adelaide. I'm sure this will create alot of debate but it makes sense if you think of the drought and the cost of transporting goods from Melbourne or Sydney etc.

:ilikeit:

Edited by Steven & Janis

Hi Guys

I work in West Ryde, and live in Dural (Hills area). My office is 18km from home, and off peak it takes me about 20 minutes to work or home, peak times, about 40min to an hour. It's not that bad.

Also look at: Eastwood, Pennant Hills, Meadowbank, Cheltenham, Beecroft, Epping - all the areas around there. These places might have older, renovated houses, and some of them are really nice, others are a bit dodgy, for you to decide.

The Hills area is big, closer Hills suburbs to Ryde: Cherrybrook, Dural, Castle Hill. VERY nice area, we are very happy here.

Good luck! Let us know what you find :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looking at public schools in NSW on a 457 visa and it looks like we have to pay something like $4500+ per child to enrol them :ilikeit: We did not have to pay this in SA (maybe something to do with getting migrants to the remote areas of Australia?) so this is quite a surprise.

Has anybody on a 457 paid this, is looking at private schools perhaps a better option?

Thanks for any help.

Hi S & J,

Correct on the school fees. I paid just over $9000 3 weeks ago. I knew it was coming, but never knew it was payable in one hit, in advance. I was told you can request monthly payment, but this requires a balance sheet, special application, going to a panel and so on.

I assume you have priced aftercare and don't forget holiday care if you both work. I am paying $88 per day for two kids for the duration of the holidays.

Private schooling means you will be paying fees until they graduate. Public schooling, only until you get PR. (my understanding)

I stay in Warriewood, work in North Ryde. A 45 minute to an hour's commute. Warriewood looks like Hillcrest/ Kloof and is 5 min to the beach.

Good luck, it's worth it !!

Edited by RobbieP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Geez this is very informative, if all goes well we might be moving to Sydney from Pretoria Early Jan 2008, I'm going for my final interview on Tuesday 31 Oct. It all happened so fast but we are really excited so please keep you fingers crossed that I can ace the video Conference, until now it's been quite tough but so far so good.

The Company is in Sydney CBD, Bond STR (I think) and I will be going on a 457 Visa, as I haven't had too much time to do research on Sydney where would you guys recommend rent at first, Somewhere not to expensive but nice hehe. Your help would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Pokkeljons

Hi guys

You can consider Independant schools instead of paying the $4500. My son goes to an independant school and his fees are $2500 a year. We love the school, small enough, most incredible community spirit etc I would recommend it definately. You need to weigh up your options of how old your kids are and when you are likely to get PR etc.

If you choose to go public you can apply for exception and you can also apply to pay the fees off monthly. I did get emailed the forms and found the department of education very helpful.

Also if your kids are older have a look at high schools and the different options available. I have found that I don't want to move outside of where we have initially settled so think long term also. If you are going public for high school some schools like Killara High would require you to be in the area.

There are also schools like Northern Beaches Christian School (Independant) which goes from preschool to year 12 so you wouldn't have to move your kids.

Alot of boys also leave governernment schools early to secure their place in a private school so think about that also. (Eg The private school might only give them a place if they started in year 3 or year 5).

My sons daycare costs $45 a day and goes from 9 - 3. There are plenty of jobs around for these hours so don't fret too much about after school unless you are going to be working long hours. I have found the flexibility in Aus workwise amazing right from admin jobs to really senior positions.

Good Luck with the moves, Sydney is a wonderful place and although expensive is worth it.

Hi Guys

Geez this is very informative, if all goes well we might be moving to Sydney from Pretoria Early Jan 2008, I'm going for my final interview on Tuesday 31 Oct. It all happened so fast but we are really excited so please keep you fingers crossed that I can ace the video Conference, until now it's been quite tough but so far so good.

The Company is in Sydney CBD, Bond STR (I think) and I will be going on a 457 Visa, as I haven't had too much time to do research on Sydney where would you guys recommend rent at first, Somewhere not to expensive but nice hehe. Your help would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Pokkeljons

Hi everyone

My husband has been in Sydney 3 weeks now, so far he is loving it and managed to get two job offers the day after he arrived. He started his new job today, and only finished work at 11.30pm!! but he enjoyed it despite the long hours.

The main problem has been in finding a rental....we are looking at Cherrybrook, Castle Hill, Pennant Hills, Thornleigh, Baulkham Hills....and so far nothing. Everything is taken as soon as it becomes available. The only place he has put an application so far has been a flat....not sure how my children will cope living in a flat. Unfortunately, I don't think the rental market is so good, and we may just have to take whatever becomes available, not matter what suburb it is in!

See you all in 4 weeks time!!

Robyn

Hi there Robyn

Just wanted to say that we thought about Luke during our LSD and wondered how he was getting on. Fantastic news that he already has a job! We're very happy for you! Vasbyt, you've only got a few more weeks to go until you're with him. He must be missing the kids terribly! Oh and the twins!

bye

Lisa

Hi everyone

My husband has been in Sydney 3 weeks now, so far he is loving it and managed to get two job offers the day after he arrived. He started his new job today, and only finished work at 11.30pm!! but he enjoyed it despite the long hours.

The main problem has been in finding a rental....we are looking at Cherrybrook, Castle Hill, Pennant Hills, Thornleigh, Baulkham Hills....and so far nothing. Everything is taken as soon as it becomes available. The only place he has put an application so far has been a flat....not sure how my children will cope living in a flat. Unfortunately, I don't think the rental market is so good, and we may just have to take whatever becomes available, not matter what suburb it is in!

See you all in 4 weeks time!!

Robyn

With that amount of overtime you will be buying soon not renting.

hi everyone!

i am finding all the information very interesting and quite helpful too. i'm hoping to relocate to sydney(or nearby) in the next 6months or so...and still trying to make a few decisions regarding area, what visa,etc.

the schooling sounds shockingly high...i'm a single mom, my daughter's 3(4end next year).

any ideas on the costs of preschools/daycare facilities?

does anyone know which areas would fall under "regional area" as i am considering going on a 119/857 visa (regional sponsored migration scheme). has anyone entered oz with this visa? i would like more input on this.

re. areas to live: what are the southern areas (suburbs) like? and any suggestions of what areas to stay away from.

cheers

antz