Why NOT Australia?

Sambo

Hi,

I have been looking through this forum and I see a remarkable amount of good reviews, good experiences and generally very positive said things said about Australia but I am wondering what (if anything) are the negatives, what annoys you, what you don't like?

I am not going to try and start a massive negative debate but I would like to also know about the realities and have a balanced point of reference... I think what I am trying to say is that we don't want to land in a foreign country and all of a sudden have our rose tinted glasses whipped off with a sudden unexpected reality check...

I look forward to honest feedback...

Sambo

I know this has been covered before but here goes

1. Expensive

2. Wonky Trolleys

3. Nothing like good old woolies

However I would give anything to live in Aus, its absolutely worth it.

Hi

I know we have covered this before, but here it goes...

1. Trolleys with minds of their own

2. Hoons (the morons who drive recklessly and do donuts all over the place)

3. No decent place to buy a juicy burger (Hungry Jacks & McDonalds don't count :lol: )

4. Who puts beetroot on a burger?

5. No Woolworths

6. Water restrictions (necessary but not fun)

7. Persistent flies, I haven't experienced many but the few I have encountered were pretty convinced that

my nostrils were the place to be

8. Private medical care is high on a 457 visa

9. Housing is expensive (Perth)

I seriously can't think of anything else :ilikeit:

I love the fact that the police are visible and that responsible behaviour is EXPECTED!

Hi Sambo

The reality is that Australia probably offers South Africans one of the best options as a destination

in terms of western values, quality of life, education (continuously under review), employment opportunities.................................................................. etc,etc I could go on "ad nauseam".

Life is what you make of it (the good and the bad)- there are no guarantees.

Please ask yourself why and why not SOUTH AFRICA. Make sure you make that list, and read it every time you doubt your decision.

It will be VERY different. It will be HARD. But it will be worthwhile if you keep on working at making it worthwhile.

Dont prepare yourself to land in Utopia, every country has it's problems. Whether you make it or not, depends on your attitude and perserverance. I've told myself it will not be better there unless I make it better for myself and my husband.

Any person will make a success anywhere if you want to. The country doesn't determine the success.

I am convinced that Australia's negative points will be less than SA's negative points.

Good luck!

Guest Lara

childcare is expensive

A friend of mine did some waitressing and was shocked that at the end of her shift she also had to help with the cleaning - including toilets.

Another friend, a plumber, said he had to do all the labouring work on site as well. He said when he was in the UK they had labourers like in SA that would dig trenches etc.

Another friend, an electrican, was thinking of changing jobs as being in ceilings in the summer heat is totally unbearable.

Hi,

I have been looking through this forum and I see a remarkable amount of good reviews, good experiences and generally very positive said things said about Australia but I am wondering what (if anything) are the negatives, what annoys you, what you don't like?

I am not going to try and start a massive negative debate but I would like to also know about the realities and have a balanced point of reference... I think what I am trying to say is that we don't want to land in a foreign country and all of a sudden have our rose tinted glasses whipped off with a sudden unexpected reality check...

Sambo

Thanks so much to those of you who replied...

Thanks SAS I had a look at that thread - but admittedly my Afrikaans is not really that good :unsure: so I battled to wade my way through it.

I'm not trying to use this forum to make our minds up - thats already done and dusted and in the process of getting hubby's skills assessed and waitng for all our docs :D

BUT while I realise that no country is perfect what I am looking for is just honesty and what things we can expect from people who are living in Oz - The GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY side of every day life...

Already I am wondering how I can survive without Woolies :unsure: (I'm kidding)

Sambo

Hi Sambo,

I wanted to post here but Sydneysider spared me the effort by getting th elink to a thread that addressed th ematter quite well.

However, i think you woul dappreciate some down-to-eatrh nitty gritty stuff.

As soon as i have time within the next week, Ill try to chronicle our first 2 years here in Oz. If you then get an idea of our initial bumpy landing, our up & downs, and eventually settling in and recouping what we lost, it should give you an overview of:

* landing here on your own

* the issues and alteratives that you face.

Will get back to you ASAP.

Cheers,

Dax

To find the negative things for not migrating to Australia is very difficult.

I have been thinking about your question since yesterday and in all honesty the thing that frustrates me personally the most is the damn trollies!! Can you believe!!

Once you live in Australia and you have relaxed (that could take a few months to years) and got over the fear we have learnt to live with in South Africa. There might be a few things that could be irritating but in comparrison it is laughable.

Watching the news in Aus is refreshing. I'm not saying that someone dying in a car crash or train wreck is laughable but can you immagine them reporting on such things in South Africa? There would be news the whole day and still not enough time.

The other day two brothers robbed a Credit Union in Brisbane with screwdrivers and it was headline news and to crown it all they have already been caught. That is the difference here. Yes there are crime but the Police are efficient and they do their job.

Of all the countries in the World I think Australia is the most compatable for South Africans, it's like a mix of South Africa (weather sport likes dislikes holidaying etc) and England (newsagents? language houses and habits).

Sambo

I will first say any comparisons to RSA, will just make you realise how bad RSA really is. I made a long list before applying coming here. Keep the list if you make it, for those days of doubt ( If you get them)

As you se the biggest issue is wonky trollies. The reason for this is simple. The trollies are made for moing and packing, not for customers. ALL the wheels steer (RSA trollies rear wheels are fixed). My son showed us if you gently shake them side to side whilst pushing you can steer them better. I am making a jig to fit over a rear wheel to lock one strainght when we go shopping becuace pushing a trolley through a sloped car park at an angle is impossible.

REAL ISSUES

Red tape, laws, regulations are over prescriptive. Half the population seem to believe that having laws and regulations voids them of any personal responsibility. To do almost anything, you need to have done some kind of training. OHS I will quote. A man fell 1 metre off a trolley he has been using for many years. He sustained no injury apart from bruising. he was found to have developed a syndrom that makes him unable to work. The company director was fined $30000 and the company $400 000, and the trollies changed (they were legally acceptable) so that they make it dificult to be used on the job.

A German student was riding on forks of a forklift. She was on a working holiday. She slipped off and broke her leg. many were doin this as the factory was pretty big. Again the company and directors were punished for a common sense mistake made by a worker.

You can buy a plug, but to fit it is illegal unless you are a licenced electrician. Many do this but if an accident happens, you are in for an interresting time.

SERVICE

I think in shops, many assistants are school kids who know nothing or are waiting to knock off. But in terms of car licence, drivers licence, telephone, electricity the service is excellent on the whole. Some restuarants are excellent, others bad, just as anywhere

Good Luck

Ah, found another one, just as silly as the trollies, Vanilla tastes different!

And the medicines here are VERY conservative due to the SAFETY aspect. Spoke to a South African Chemist and all he could do was laugh.

Ah thats another one SAFETY (as above)!!!! To the extent that you can hardly do your work, good excuse if you might feel lazy today! Ha Ha

:ilikeit::ilikeit: Thank heavens there are others who hate the trolleys. I was beginning to think I was just a whining immigrant and have to keep reminding myself that this is Australia and that these are the trolleys they use and accept. Don't the managment at Coles and Woolworths ever do a monthly groceries shop?

Your question is very relevant and you are quite right to ask it. Life isn't always a bed of roses, wherever you are. I cant say there is anything that is worth complaining about that would not be a problem elsewhere. I also believe that in SA, one is so focused on survival, in a sense, that we never paid attention to what we now find to be overly restrictive legislation. Lets face it, you go shopping and all you have to worry about is where you parked your car, not if it will still be there, or broken into, or worse still, the possibility that you may be shot when they hijack your car. Over time, you go back to normal and then things like shopping trolleys are about the worst thing you have to deal with in a day. At first life will probably seem boring when you get here, watching the car accidents on the news, as someone mentioned earlier, you will wonder if anything ever happens in Australia. Then one day you realise that this is just the way life is supposed to be. When that realisation happens, you can take it that you are now Australian, relaxed and just enjoying your life, not fearing for it.

Having lived in Canada and Oz, they are both great countries but Oz has the climate and rugby and cricket.

All the best with your move and settling in.

Alan

Edited by alanb

Hey everyone....move to Gold Coast - I hardly ever get a dud trolley:) (maybe they have a different supplier??)

negatives....seriously...none that I can mention (except missing family and friends back in SA)

we get League, Union, AFL etc TV sport coverage is good

absolutely never see a beggar on the streets on the Gold Coast

Never anyone selling you things at the "robots"

schools are good

housing seems to be a bit more affordable than other areas although Brisbane is cheaper

You hear negatives about the Gold Coast and drugs...but as anywhere ..there are drugs, I suppose not too different to what I remember available to kids in South Africa, you just have to hope that you have brought your kids up in the right way and that they say no to drugs...

Heather

This link may also be useful in respect of this thread

Click Here

Dax

Edited by Dax

Ok, I've only been here 3 weeks, so I'm still getting there. But the one thing that does irritate me to no end here at the moment, is the Ozzies complaining about the government and the government departments - and trust me, compared to SA, they have NOTHING to complain about :ilikeit: