Drivers Licence

Stadler Family

How does driver licences work

1st year International Drivers Licence.

Second Year ? Can I convert an SA Licence or do we need to be retested

It all depends on your type of Visa. If you come to Aus on a temp visa, you can drive on yr SA licence as long as it is valid, but if you come over on a PR visa, then you only have 3 months (in VIC, might be different in other states) to convert your SA licence to an Aus one. The International one dont really have much weight here. (as far as i know... if you have PR that is)

And yes, unfortunately you need to be retested. Computer tests (like learners tests) and a phisical driving test.

If you search the Forum, you will find lots of other links to posts on the whole drivers licence issue. That might be able to answer all your questions!!

Good luck

As far as I understand it you can't buy or register a car in your name without an australian driver's licence. You cannot convert a south african one. You need to sit the written test and then do the driver's test. My partner has just done both and it was not difficult. This applies for Western Australia. Don't know if it's different elsewhere.

As far as I understand it you can't buy or register a car in your name without an australian driver's licence. You cannot convert a south african one. You need to sit the written test and then do the driver's test. My partner has just done both and it was not difficult. This applies for Western Australia. Don't know if it's different elsewhere.

You can buy a car if you are on a temp visa... but then the finance will only be arranged for the period that the visa is valid.... we bought a car in Feb, and we only did our licences in April... friends of us, here on a 457 also bought a car on finance about 2 months after they landed. As long as you have a valid drivers licence, you can buy a car.

Might be different in other states, or all depend on the finance companies i guess!!

How hard is the driver's test ?

Are you given the choice do to the test in an automatic gear car or do you stick to a manual one..

In South Australia you can do the test in an Automatic, not sure about the other states...

How hard is the driver's test ?

Are you given the choice do to the test in an automatic gear car or do you stick to a manual one..

The drivers test is not hard (depending on how well you know the Aus road rules, etc).... its a normal driving test of say 20 mins or so with one LSM (low speed manouvre - 3 point turn, reverse park, or point to point reverse). In VIC, you can choose to either have manual or automatic. BUT if you do your licence in an automatic car, you are only allowed to drive automatic, where if you do a manual one, you can drive both.

Depends on the state....in the NT you only go for a drive around town. No parking or reversing or anything like that...eezi peezi....however you also only have three months to convert your liscence in and the international one counts for nothing. If your SA liscence is not valid you have to do the whole drivers test as if you are getting your liscence for the first time. AND that is the difficult one.

It is better to go for a test at an instructor, he will iron out any bad habbits and tell you about things that is different in SA. He will then arrange the test with another instructor. A lot easier and it may work out to be cheaper as well. I would suggest that you do your test on a Saturday or Sunday when there is less trafic on the roads - Karl

Not sure how it differs by state, but the followiong is applicable to SA :

[b]Get a driver’s licence

If you are a permanent resident visa holder and have a current driver’s licence from another country, in English or with an official translation, you are allowed to drive for your first three months after arrival. After that, if you want to drive, you will need to have the appropriate Australian driver’s licence. To get one, you usually need to pass a knowledge test, a practical driving test, and an eyesight test.

In South Australia, the Customer Service Centres of Transport SA are responsible for the issue of driver’s licences and the registration of motor vehicles. Facilities are available to test the knowledge and understanding of South Australian road rules in 24 languages other than English.

You could also contact your nearest Customer Service Centre office, listed in the White Pages telephone directory under ‘Transport SA’.

Transport SA 13 1084

EDS Centre 108 North Terrace ADELAIDE SA 5000 www.transport.sa.gov.au

The following link takes provides the info for all other states (and some really good general information -- thanks to Odette)

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia.../select/eng.htm