Wat is die negatiewe dinge in Oz?

Hi almal

:)

Ons vriende is opgewerk, help tog bietjie.

Die vraag is: Alles kan nie net lekker of maklik wees nie, soos in Suid Afrika moet daar

tog ook probleme en negatiewe dinge wees. Geen plek kan so wonderlik wees dat julle

daarheen moet skuif nie. :D

Ons het klaar besluit om te skuif, maar sal julle insette oor hierdie redenasie waardeer

Groete

Buhrmann

Ek kan nou nog nie uit die Aus oogpunt praat nie, maar goed wat my opgeval het toe ons NZ toe gekom het en wat mense nooit vir jou noem nie is bv

1 - Petrol....kyk nê, na ampers 4 jaar verpes ek dit nogsteeds om my eie petrol in te gooi....ha-ha! Komende van 'n klein dorpie het die petrol joggies by die plaaslike stasie my al geken en het sommer self na my motor se olie, water en bande gekyk sonder dat ek daarvoor hoef te vra....nou moet ek dit self doen of my man herhinner!

2 - Dokters....my mediese fonds kaart. Seker maar nog 'n bederf, maar hier betaal jy eers en eis later terug.

3 - goeie restaurante en diens. Ek mis dit in om in 'n familie restaurant te gaan sit en die kelnerin bedien ons. Hier moet jy meestal self jou bestelling gaan plaas en klaar betaal, voor jy kos kry. En ja, jy kry restaurante waar jy diens kry, maar dan betaal jy behoorlik! Ek mis Cattle Baron met 'n passie!

Guest colton

First off no place is perfect, but every place is different. I can honestly say there is nothing here in Australia that would send me running back to RSA. Will we live here forever? I don't think so as we love to experience new places and people but we will always keep Australia as "home base".

The things that I had concerns about are the drugs, teen pregnancy's and disrespect for elders. It is VERY noticeable here, why?, because it is the white kids that are affected. The same happens back in RSA just to a different segment of the population. Drugs are a major problem in the "coloured" population, especially on the Cape Flats. Teen pregnancy's are common place amongst the "black" population and disrespect for elders is becoming the norm amongst all groups. We were just not exposed to it as much amongst our "white" population.

Major crimes are commited here as well, once again to a different segment of the population that we are used to. The "white" population don't have as many murders, abuse, rapes etc as back in RSA but they are common amongst the indigenous population. My sister-in-law worked in the Northern Territories amongst the local people for many years as an abuse councillor, the horrific stories she has told me reminds me of life back in RSA.

Besides those major factors, which we have in RSA as well, there are only extremely minor irritations that you learn to deal with, eg:

Rude Estate Agents

Freaking out of control trolleys

Expensive properties (on the Gold Coast esp.)

Those things you can overcome. In all honesty there are no other major problems, not that I have found yet anyway. Life here isn't perfect just very different to what we are used to, and just by that fact alone it makes it perfect. :D

Negative aspects of life in Australia.., :D

Hmm, OK, here you go.

Keep in mind that my comments are based on an Adelaide, South Australian perspective. Some things may be unique to South Oz, while others may apply to the whole country.

Also, some of the things that I mention may be merely different, and not negative.

Picking my mind at random the following comes to mind;

* Rugby Union, my favourite football code, exists here on club level only. The only time that you can go and watch the big stuff, is when something like the World Cup matches of 2003 are allocated to Adelaide, or the Rugby 7s tournament that will take place in Adelaide for the next 5 years. Other than that you only see Rugby Union on TV. Aussie Rules broadcasts always get a priority in South Oz as it is a so-called Aussie Rules State.

People who are serious about the two Rugby codes invest in Foxtel TV.

* South African foods are available, but outlets are few and far between. Some supermarkets like Coles stock Mrs. Balls chutney, but nothing else, while Rooibos Tea is available at most Woolworths branches. Your best bet for biltong is Barossa Foods, while the only butcher that makes passable boerewors, (In my opinion) is Brian’s Gourmet Meats in Jetty Rd, Glenelg. There was a guy who made excellent Biltong and boerewors in Glynburn Road, but one day he simply disappeared off the face of Adelaide. He also made biltong from Kangaroo meat that tasted very similar to Kudu biltong.

Some of us also opt for making our own boerewors & biltong, which is OK, if you have time. The only place that I am aware of that sells a wide range of South African foods is Ceylon Spices on the corner of North East and Sudholtz Roads.

I have also heard of an importer of South African Goods in the Aldgate area.

* Houses are designed and built differently over here. The basic design type is the so-called brick-veneer style of building. It consists of a brick outer shell, a tile or corrugated iron roof and wall of plasterboard inside. It depends on your personal tastes or standards whether you will like it or hate it. if you build your own place you can request extras such as brick inside wall like houses in RSA. In respect of space I think South Oz houses are more spacious than RSA houses. Spaces like an inside laundry, family room, etc are standard, especially with your newer houses.

* Finding an institution that will be willing to give you a house-loan if you are a new arrival may be a problem, especially if you work on short-term contracts etc. However, there IS an institution, HOMESTART, which specializes in giving home loans to temporary, lowly paid, contract employed people.

I give you my assurance that they are really good. Their rates are in actual fact lower than other institutions; they have some systems that help you to pay off your bond sooner, e.g. paying your installments on a fortnightly basis instead of monthly. If you battle to get a home loan, then HOMESTART is your answer. If they don’t give you a loan, then no other institution in Australia will give you one.

* All cars here are fuel injected, that makes it harder (for me in any case) to repair and service my car myself.

* We have our fair share of crime here in Oz. Most of the big-time stuff has drug related origins. I don’t want to sound simplistic but have this “rule-of-thumb” in the back of my head that says if you stay away from drugs and outlaw Bikies (Motorcycled Gangsters) in Australia, you should be fairly OK.

Pedophilia is quite prominent in the media at the moment. I cannot fathom why it is so prominent, as the Oz stats for this particular crime are on par with other First World countries. It can be because of some high profile professionals who were caught and consigned to Her Majesty’s Yatala boarding house off late. Another reason can be that there is a distinct drive in respect of child protection and safety here in South Oz. Also, all high profile crimes gets reported over here

Then there are petty stuff like youngsters “hooning” in their cars, driving like monkeys with their tails full of fleas, graffiti.

Another high profile crime is arson. It’s another thing that I cannot fathom, and that is why people will deliberately set fire to a forest or a school. I ascribe it to a too liberal mindset, not much in the way of consequences for young or juvenile offenders etc.

* Some people simply don’t seem to be able to understand, or connect to simple values.

Example: The school where I teach is pretty strict for a State School and we have a uniform policy that we enforce. Therefore, when a kid rocked up in my class with cut-away shorts, I sent here home to chance into something more appropriate. She and her mom were not very impressed, though.

You sometimes find that some people have an “anything goes” attitude with no regard how their actions or attitude influence or offend others.

* You need to get used to the South Australian weather patterns. If you are from the Cape region and you are used to hot dry summers with cool wet winters, you will love it.

* Adelaide does not really have a Metro Ring Road system. Therefore if you travel from let’s say Happy Valley in the South, to Golden Grove in the North, it can take you about and hour to cover the distance of about 22 kilometers. This issue is receiving attention at the moment, but we don’t expect freeways/ring roads in the near future though. What should be done is that the State Government goes roughshod over some people’s opposition to development to start to address this issue but you don’t do it that way in a Liberal, Democratic, First World country. (Unfortunately, there are people in Adelaide who view these type of developments with scorn and derision. They are more your older more affluent types who prefer Adelaide to retain its “town character,” which also makes Adelaide the laughing stock of other Oz cities at times.)

That’s about all I can think of for the moment. I will update this as I can think of more items.

Can anyone else also think of things?

Cheers,

Dax

O ja ek onthou nou nog iets;

Day Light Saving

Vir sommige is dit iets negatiefs, miskien net 'n irritasie, of soos in my geval;

dit pla my gladnie!

Groete,

Dax

'n Mens is geneig om makliker die slegte dinge raak te sien maar daar is defnitief baie positiewe of beter dinge hier.

Die negatiewe dinge hier vir my:

1.) max spoed beperking van 100km op hoofpaaie

2.) Footy, geen rugby (as jy in Victoria bly)

3.) Eiendom baie duur (maklike R10,000 per maand huur)

4.) Exhange rate 5.8 met rand, jy kan nie dieselfde eiendom in Aus bekostig as in RSA

5.) Jy betaal maklike R30-50 vir kar was en dan moet jy dit self doen (kry net die seep en water verniet)

6.) Huise het klein tuine

7.) Jy kry $100 boete as jou hond in die park %$& (sy ding doen)

Tee hee, julle laat my nou lekker lag.

Dax, jy het my baie moeite gespaar en sommer alles mooi uiteengesit wat my ook pla, behalwe die weer (love it! :angry: , ja ek is 'n gebore Capie!) en die SA foods - lankal nie meer 'n issue nie, ons is al so lank uit die land. Boerewors, Rooibos en Chutney is al wat ek soek en dit kry mens maklik. Ja, Brian is maar die beste! :lol:

Ek sou net wou byvoeg dat ek nie baie gelukkig is met die manier waarop werkers baiekeer behandel word hier nie en die feit dat tieners so maklik uitgebuit word deur die kitskos restaurante ens. Ons het natuurlik 'n hele ruk in die VK gewoon waar jy omtrent in die hof in Den Haag moet gaan draai as jy iemand wil afdank / uitbuit en dis ook nie ideaal nie, maar ek is nogtans geskok oor hoe maklik dit is om mense uit te buit en swak te betaal hier. Ook is dit dikwels baie moeilik om permanente werk te kry - kontrakte of casual ure is die norm en dit maak my nogal "nerweus!" B)

Ja, die huise hier is maar oor die algemeen swak ontwerp, swak georienteer en swak gebou (veral die nuwes). My man is 'n argitek en kry daaglikse hartaanvalle ... :o

Dax, waar hou jy skool, BTW? :whome:

Edited by Annette

Hi daar Almal,

Annette, wil jy nie bietjie meer uitbrei oor:"die feit dat tieners so maklik uitgebuit word deur die kitskos restaurante ens." en "Ook is dit dikwels baie moeilik om permanente werk te kry - kontrakte of casual ure is die norm en dit maak my nogal "nerweus!"

Dit maak my ook so bietjie "nerweus"

Dan wil ek ook bietjie meer oor kos weet asb. Ons almal weet die ozzies is oor die algemeen skaap boere maar hoe beskikbaar is bees vleis, hoender en vis. Kan jy by die SA winkels mielie meel kry om so af en toe pap te maak. (Die mense wat by die Pretorianers se braai was gaan nou vir my lag) B) Die ander kosse is nie so groot kwessie nie.

Groete

Fanie

Fanie, ek gaan nou bietjie hierdie post high-jack - sorry B) - maar ek wil net vir jou vertel dat ek nou die dag in die apteek vir 'n ou gaan vra het wat sy naam is, reg om myself voor te stel, want ek het gedink dis jy en toe is sy naam - Manie :angry:

Hy het seker gedink ek is 'n bietjie mallerig en ek het gedink dis baie snaaks.

PS: Anette vertel asb meer van die tiener ding want ek is ook nuuskierig

Baie groete

Michelle

Ek wil nou nie hierdie in 'n "child labour" debat omskep nie, maar hier is die artikel wat my daaraan herinner het: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...424-910,00.html

Ek het 'n dogter wat graag 'n deeltydse werkie wil doen, maar niemand wil haar net 'n klein "casual" werkie gee nie. Al die ouers kla daaroor. Die kitkos plekke is veral stout want hulle neem omtrent net tieners in diens, betaal hulle omtrent niks en vereis dan dat hulle 'n minimum van 15 tot 20 ure per week werk. Sodra hulle begin werk, neem die ure toe elke week en hulle moet selfs nagdiens werk. As hulle kla, word daar net gese hulle kan maar loop, daar is baie ander wat hulle werk kan doen. Ek weier dat my kind meer as 10 ure per week doen, want ek voel haar skoolwerk sal ly daaronder. Sover kon sy nog glad nie 'n plek kry wat haar 'n deeltydse werkie sal gee vir so min ure nie.

Ek weet nie wat die situasie is in ander state nie, maar baie van ons vriende hier werk op kontrak. Dit is nie so algemeen om permanent aangestel te word nie - iets waaraan ons maar gewoond moet raak. Sover word my man se kontrak nog elke keer hernu, maar as die firma skielik minder werk het, sal hy net 'n paar dae kennis kry. Dis hoegenaamd nie ongewoon nie. Ek ken bitter bitter mense wat permante werk het. Moenie dink dat mense sommer werkloos is nie, dis geensins die geval nie, maar daar is nie meer so iets so werksekuriteit nie.

Ons kry baie lekker vleis hier Fanie. Die steaks is baie lekker goedkoop. Ons koop vis ook by die tonne by die mark of die visfabriek en hoender is sommer vreeslik goedkoop (as jy weet waar om te koop - ons koop by die "wholesale butcher"). Mieliemeel kan jy by die SA winkels kry maar dis so duur dat pap 'n uiterste luukse geword het vir ons.

Edited by Annette

Mieliemeel kan jy by die SA winkels kry maar dis so duur dat pap 'n uiterste luukse geword het vir ons.
Hi Fanie,

Just to elaborate on Annette's post regarding the mieliemeel.

I am in Sydney and I get a product here called polenta (used by Italians) - not sure if it's available in Adelaide. It is what we would know to be yellow mieliemeel, but it tastes exactly like white mieliepap (or I've been out of SAfrica for too long!). It makes the best 'putupap'!

The product name is Lowans and is in a 500g yellow plastic bag wrapper and is much cheaper than mieliemeel from the SAfrican shop.

SAS

Guest Bronwyn

There are many more positives than negatives. :angry:

One thing I don't like though, is the design of the houses. It seems that most of the main bedrooms are in front of the house (on the road or driveway) and the lounge/living area is at the back. That means when you are lying in bed you can hear people walking past your front window, and you have to keep the curtains closed most of the time. B) It's not just my house, I have seen it everywhere. Also, the houses are generally not as nice as SA houses, they are often quite ugly and badly designed, with nasty old bathrooms, etc. But the built-in laundry is good. The land is usually quite small. Here in Adelaide, if you have more than 500sqm you are doing well....

I have also noticed quite a lot of people out on the streets that appear to be - how shall I put it? - mentally challenged. I know it has come up before on the forum, and it was said that people with problems are encouraged to form part of society, and I don't wish to upset anyone here - but it can be a bit strange. The other day I was waiting for a taxi and a guy with no shoes and long hair walked past me, and started barking like a dog at the cars! I was a bit taken aback.....there is also another man that screams as he walks along, and it scares the kids (and me). :lol:

There are definately also hoons on the street, that rev and speed up & down like maniacs all night. I think they are bored, or they don't have any real problems so they try & create some...You feel like getting hold of them and giving them a good slap and saying "Do you know how lucky you are to have this way of life? Why are you trying to +&%# it up? IDIOT!" The same goes for the Goth kids that like to mess up their faces with piercings and tattoos and act bad to the bone, fighting & swearing & causing trouble..... I suppose it happens everywhere, just as long as everyone realises it happens in Australia too....:whome::o:(

Edited by Bronwyn

Guest colton

Annette,

I presume things are different state to state but here on the Gold Coast part time work for teenagers isn't a problem. My 17year daughter and her friends all have part time jobs, part time meaning they only work on weekends and school holidays. In fact my daughter has two part time jobs, she works on Friday nights and Saturday nights at a chinese restuarant and on Saturday days she works in a Kebab shop. She works 4-9.30pm in the evenings and 10-3pm in the day which gives her time to surf and still go out after work in the evenings, a win win situation for her. Luckily for us the schools here have their sport matches on fridays which leaves the weekend free. In the school holidays she works most days.

She made it clear to them in the beginning that she cant work any other time as she is in year 12 and no sundays as this is our sabbath day and they still hired her. She did volunteer to do a weekend for free to show what a hard worker she is and if they had any problems they didn't have to hire her, all worked out well for her and she earns $17 per hour at one and $16 per hour at the other. Her friends work at MacDonalds and various restuarants as waitresses.

Even my boys have part time work and they only work in the week if they have no classes at university the next day as they usually work till 1am. Their pay is more as they get paid according to their ages, believe me all three are making a tidy little sum.

Hope she finds something soon as it's always good for them to earn their own money.

Bronwyn,

Luckily for us the majority of our houses aren't built like that, I took note yesterday of the houses in my street and all of us have our family rooms in the front of the house and the bedrooms at the back. It must be horrid to have to keep your curtains closed because your bedroom is on the main street. <_<

From this post it seems that things are done differently state to state and what goes on in one doesn't necessarily happen in another, thankfully. :P

Edited by colton

Hi daar,

Dankie vir jul insette, baie interesant!

Genade Colton maar die kinders verdien baie goed, ek weet 'n ou moenie die $ met die Rand vergelyk nie want julle leef da in Dollars maar as jy dit doen dan verdien hulle meer as baie ambagsmanne hier! dis nice!

Het Oz ook 'n minimum ouderdom wat tieners onder 'n sekere ouderdom verbied om te werk?

En hoe streng is Oz oor ekstra werk. Hier werk ek na ure in my werrkswinkeltjie tuis en verdien nogal nie sleg nie. Ek weet daar is dit 'n probleem veral as jy geraas maak, maar hoe is die regering jeens ekstra inkomste. Mag 'n ou part time iets doen vir spending money?

Dit wil ook lyk of 'n ou jou kinders mooi moet coach oor met watter tieners hulle moet meng of nie. Ek is redelik knorrig as dit by oorbelle, tattoos en neus ringe kom! Behalwe natuurlik as hy 'n Blou Bul is <_<

En hoe streng is Oz oor ekstra werk. Hier werk ek na ure in my werrkswinkeltjie tuis en verdien nogal nie sleg nie. Ek weet daar is dit 'n probleem veral as jy geraas maak, maar hoe is die regering jeens ekstra inkomste. Mag 'n ou part time iets doen vir spending money?

Hier is nie beprekings op hoeveel werk jy doen en hoeveel ekstra jy daarvoor verdien nie.

Dit gebeur dikwels dat "battlers" (mense op lae inkomstes) twee of drie werke "juggle." Jy vind nogal dikwels dat iemand in 'n sekere beroep is en dan nog iets bydoen vir 'n ekstra inkomste.

Ekself dink daaraan om te kwalifiseer as 'n landmeter; om iets ekstra te verdien en as 'n soort "laid-back" joppie wanneer ek eendag afgetree is.

Pasop net vir die belasting as jy teveel verdien, se so meers as (ek dink?) ongeveer $120 000 per jaar. Jan Taks sal vir jou ruk met jou Medibank Charge indien jy nie private medies het nie.

Groete

Dax

Edited by Dax

Fanie

Die ouderdomsbeperking verskil van staat tot staat. Die artikel wat ek gewys het se daar is geen beperking in Suid-Australie nie. Ek was nie voorheen bewus daarvan nie. Colton se post wys ook duidelik hoe verskillend dinge is in verskillende dele van die land. Dis amper soos 8 verskillende lande op dieselfde kontinent.

Jy kan soveel werke doen as wat jy wil. Jou inkomste word bymekaargetel en jy betaal belasting op die geheel. Jy kan aftrekkings maak vir allerhande goed vir die werke wat jy van die huis af doen. Dis beter om 'n goeie boekhouer te kry om mens te help met die balsting aan die einde van die boekjaar, want al kos dit iets, spaar mens sommer baie as die ou weet wat hy doen. Soos Dax se, jy moet net seker maak jy het private medies as jy oor $100 000 verdien per jaar (vir 'n paartjie, $50 000 per individueel), plus $1500 vir elke kind. Dan word jou Medicare levy 'n ekstra 1.5% op jou salaris as jy nie privaat medies het nie.

Bronwyn, that screaming man is "famous" in Adelaide. Everyone has seen him at some stage or another. You sort of get used to it after a while. :(

I've just though of something else negative - REALLY expensive to go to the movies! :ilikeit:

Another rather different thingy;

Some products seem to be "watered down", like for an example when we first bought Worcestershire sauce i immediately tasted the difference between a specific brand name and its RSa counterpart.

I believe one has to take 3 Disperins for a toothache over here instead of two RSA Disperins - though i can see a sound social policy working behind "watered down" medicne that can be bought over a counter.

But don't worry about stuff like Jamesons or Johnny Walker here in Oz: NO DIFFERENCE!!!

Cheers,

Dax

• 2 weeks later...

Howzit Bru

My Afrikaans is nie so lekker nie (Standard Grade) - EK IS 'N SOUTJIE....

Die vraag is: Alles kan nie net lekker of maklik wees nie, soos in Suid Afrika moet daar

tog ook probleme en negatiewe dinge wees.

I am English and my brother and I have both married into Afrikaan families.

There is one huge difference I have seen between most English and most Afrikaans families, and that is a greater sence of " Afrikaans family connection", a big extended family, the abilty to hug (lots), sokkie jolle en soe voets.

YOU WILL LEAVE MOST OF THIS BEHIND!

The reason many of my Afrikaans MATES have applied for foreign VISAs, succeeded, and let them expire.

My sister is in Dubai, and my brother is in Turkey - WHAT A BUNCH OF DOOESES!?

Sure, the incentive is to make a quick buck, but what kind of country is it if you don't speak the lingo, the weather is different, and the locals look different.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A VISITOR!

You will struggle more than me my friend. (In Aus)

But struggle you must, as the benefits you have read in the above posts, far out-weigh the negatives.

See you there!

To those who asked the question about job security, namely contracts or permanent jobs. I can only speak for Victoria. I do not know of anybody that is on a contract, everybody is permanently employed. I have asked around and have been told that a lot of government jobs are contract based as are a lot of IT jobs. Apparently in the teaching profession it is also popular, especially when you start out as a teacher. So it does seem to differ from state to state.

With regard to the housing situation, it is popular in Victoria as well to have the main bedroom in the front of the house, perhaps to keep an eye on the comings and goings of the children? Hehe!

We have built twice in Melbourne, the first time we did our learning curve, the second time we incorporated everthing we wanted or required in a home. North facing, big eaves, grey water, quarter acre, etc. You must also remember that not many people like the idea of a huge block (erf) it takes time to garden, your time is limited, so the smaller the block the less time you have to spend in it. Also as your children are safe playing in a park or in the street the huge need for big gardens is not so necessary.