Need lots of info

Engeltjie

Hi,

Ek en my man het verlede week besluit ons wil uit Suid-Afrika kom. Ons eerste keuse is Oz, want ons het vriende wat reeds oppad is om daarnatoe te immigreeg.

Op hierdie stadium het ek soveel vra ek weet nie waar om te begin nie!!! :P

Ek dink huidiglik moet ons aansoek doen vir die 457 visa. Ons wil net so gou moontlik hier weg! My man werk vir Toyota SA en ek dink hulle sal hom sponser met die visa. (Het reeds aansoek gedoen).

My eerste vraag: Ons wil baie graag met 'n gesin begin. Wat gebeur as ek daar sou swanger raak, word die kind aanvaar as 'n Australiaanse burger of as 'n Suid-Afrikaanse burger? Wat is die implikasie daarvan as ek sou swanger word sonder permanente burgerskap?

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Monique

I can't really help with your questions, because I already had my children (In SA) and we are here in Aus on a business Visa, so I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

If you go to the first page on the website you will see a place to type 'Search keywords' and there you can type in a phrase like 'baby born Australia' or 'swangerskap', or something like that, and you will get lots of info on the topic you are interested in.

There are a few forum members who recently had babies or are preggers, so you will be able to tap into their knowledge.

The same for the types of visas you are considering.

However the best place to search for firsthand info is the DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) website (used to be called Dimia). They should have all your questions answered in there too.

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/index.htm

Good luck! :ilikeit: Let us know how you get on.

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

Hi,

Ek en my man het verlede week besluit ons wil uit Suid-Afrika kom. Ons eerste keuse is Oz, want ons het vriende wat reeds oppad is om daarnatoe te immigreeg.

Op hierdie stadium het ek soveel vra ek weet nie waar om te begin nie!!! :ilikeit:

Ek dink huidiglik moet ons aansoek doen vir die 457 visa. Ons wil net so gou moontlik hier weg! My man werk vir Toyota SA en ek dink hulle sal hom sponser met die visa. (Het reeds aansoek gedoen).

My eerste vraag: Ons wil baie graag met 'n gesin begin. Wat gebeur as ek daar sou swanger raak, word die kind aanvaar as 'n Australiaanse burger of as 'n Suid-Afrikaanse burger? Wat is die implikasie daarvan as ek sou swanger word sonder permanente burgerskap?

hi Monique

We came over on a 457 visa and my wife was 6mnths pregnant - because you are not an Aussie citizen or permananet resident on a 457 visa - your child will not get Aussie citizenship - you will have to register them as South African. The other issue you need to consider under a 457 visa is that again because your are not classed as a permanent resident you dont qualify for MediCare so it could be pretty costly to have the baby unless you can get private healthcover, but then there are timeframes or preconditions which you will not immediately be covered for.

So if you are thinking of having children immediately and unless you have the cash to pay for everything then 457 is most probably not the way to go, however if you goal is to get to Aus as quick as possible and you can wait the 2yrs to then apply for PR and then have children then 457 is an option.

Rgds

matman.

Hi Matt,

Thanx for the info!

My hubby got his first inteview yesterday. (actully can't believe it - I only send in his CV yesterday). They are willing to sponsor the visa. So we have to go on the 457 visa.

Now we don't know what to do. Everything is happening so fast! :o So many questions still on our mind. Are we doing the right thing?!?!?

Thanx for the help. Nice to meet such a bunch of friendly people!! :P

Monique

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with the job hunting - hope the first interview went of OK.

Now we don't know what to do. Everything is happening so fast! So many questions still on our mind. Are we doing the right thing?!?!?

Trust your instincts and you will be fine. I am sure we are all 'afraid' of the unknown no matter how well you prepare.

Hi Engeltjie.

Well, first of all congratulations on the job offer! That's the first major hurdle out of the way - BUT it does bring the added pressure of having to move everything at top speed, and sometimes it seems like your emotions aren't equipped to deal with things at warp speed :o I know - been there and done that!

Just keep on reminding yourself why you sent in that CV in the first place and then be thankful that you've had it lucky enough to secure something so quickly. If you look arond here on the forum, you'll come across a lot of people that are still looking for that sponsored job.

As for doing the right thing - as Wannebee has said, trust your instincts - and don;t try to second guess things. Listen to those that have real experience (not those that heard about the friend of a friend whose cousin's youngest sister's boyfriend that came to Australia last year and hated it and said that everyone is unfriendly and ignorant and that they hate south africans :P) You'll find many of the latter that are quick to offer pearls of wisdom, but here on the forum, you'll meet the folks that have lived the experience and can you real life, practical stories and advice. Use it - as much as you need! It is a fantastic source of friendship, advice, support and humour.

As matman says, any children born to you whilst you are on a 457 will still be South African citizens. You will also have to pay the costs yourselves, as you won't have access to state health care until you become permanent residents. Most private funds offer cover for pregnancies, but only after a defined waiting period -usually one year. Once you become PR's (and depending on your hubby's skills and his company, you might be able to apply immediately or, worst case, get his company to sponsor his PR application after 2 years) then you will have access to Medicare and the pregnancy would be covered in full. As a practical matter, you may want to wait a year anyway (which means your private fund may cover the birth) because the move over here is a big enough adjustment to make, without the added joy of a new baby :unsure:

Please don't panic about anything. Just remember to breathe - deep breaths everyday - and use this place as much as you can. We don't always all respond, but you'll be suprised at how willing most people are to get involved and help out someone in the same position as they are or were.

Lots of love and congratualtions again

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

It's so nice to chat with you all!!! :P

We're planning to move to Sydney or surrounding areas. I was wondering what the living cost for 2 people will be and can anyone tell me the salary level in the motorindustry in these areas?

We're not sure if hubby got a good offer.

Monique

Hi Matt,

Thanx for the info!

My hubby got his first inteview yesterday. (actully can't believe it - I only send in his CV yesterday). They are willing to sponsor the visa. So we have to go on the 457 visa.

Now we don't know what to do. Everything is happening so fast! :o So many questions still on our mind. Are we doing the right thing?!?!?

Thanx for the help. Nice to meet such a bunch of friendly people!! :P

Monique

Hi Monique

Thats awesome - from personal experience and what I have read and seen on this forum - if you get the opportunity - take that 457 visa opportunity - there are alot of people who dont get that kind of chance and spend many months, even years trying to go the PR visa route. Also sometimes not having time to think and just having to do is a good thing - stops you double guessing yourselves. As I have stated before - from when we made the decision to leave - thru to granting of 457visa and actual arrival was approx 3mnths - so be prepared that maybe the case, however remember you dont have to leave immediately when you get your visa - there is a grace period till you have to arrive in Aus - suppose it all depends on how soon the company sponsoring you wants your hubby to start work.

Dont know how old you are and how urgent it is to have kids, but what we did is - we said lets take this opportunity - come out and spend at minimum 2yrs to give it a chance. If we liked it we stay, if we did not like it we would go back - that was 6yrs ago - no regrets.

From personal experience I can say it was tough moving to a new country and having a newborn in the family within the first 3mnths of us arriving - Coming out and having to spend 2yrs here before you get your PR and then possibly thinking about having kids when you qualify for Medicare and your child will be born Aussie - is maybe not a bad thing.

It can be a tough change to leave and then to have to settle in a new country - add having a child which is pretty tough and no support group around you - Most probbaly not something you would want to be doing at the sametime - I know we did it, but then we had already done this once before when my daughter was born in the UK. Changing country and having a baby can be pretty stressful and tiring. My personal recommendation would be to get yourselves over here, spend 2yrs settling in and enjoying the experience and then after 2yrs you will be in a more secure place, have friends around you and most probably enjoy the experience of having a child more.

Again not something I would suggest you rush into when you first arrive - buying a home. Again spend those first few years settling in, finding out what is what and where everything is - like hospital you would like to have your child at, places where you would like to buy & settle etc

I would suggest doing a bit of travel and see some of the other cities like Melb, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide etc - You may find after a year or 2 that Sydney is not where you want to finally live. Like ourselves - we arrived in Sydney and spent first 2 yrs there before deciding to actually move and settle in Melb

Please feel free to PM if you have any more questions. I hope these personal ramblings are helpful.

Rgds

matman

Hi Ajay,

It's so nice to chat with you all!!! :P

We're planning to move to Sydney or surrounding areas. I was wondering what the living cost for 2 people will be and can anyone tell me the salary level in the motorindustry in these areas?

We're not sure if hubby got a good offer.

Monique

Monique

In the search box at the top right half of the homepage - do a search on "living" and "budget" - you will find heaps of informaiton on cost of living and budgets - there is a real good post called "Cost of Living" which includes a budget spreadsheet.

Also do a search on "457" and you will find alot of information and personal experiences from people who have taken this route. You should find some stuff around what you should ask in the interview and what does the company include with the 457 visa. For Example:

-- Do they pay relocation costs - container and airfares

-- Do they include LAFHA - living awayf from home allowance - big tax saving for 457 visa holders

-- Will they provide 2 weeks of temp accom when you arrive so you can look for perm place to rent

-- What percentage do they contribute to Superannuation

-- DO they provide private healthcare or is that separate

rgds

matman

Edited by matman

Hi Engeltjie,

Welkom op die forum!

Ek het nie veel meer raad om te gee as wat die ander forum lede al gegee het nie, maar wil net iets oor PR en Medicare se. As julle AUS toe gaan op 'n 457 kwalifiseer julle nie vir Medicare nie ... totdat julle julle aansoek vir PR ingee! Hierdie het ek op die Medicare website gelees. So as jy swanger raak in AUS voordat julle PR is maar na julle PR aansoek in is, is dit nie die einde van die wereld nie, want jy sal wel deur die staats medies gedek word. En as jou baba gebore word voordat die PR deur is, word hy/sy net by julle aansoek bygesit. As hy/sy gebore word nadat julle PR is, is dit nie 'n probleem nie en sal die baba automaties burgerskap van Australie kry.

Sterkte met al die planne!!!

Linda

Hallo

Hier is 'n paar uittreksels wat jou mag help.

Kind sal 'n SA paspoort he solank julle op 'n visa daar is.

MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 78

Children born in Australia

(1) If:

(a) a child born in Australia is a non‑citizen when born; and

(:P at the time of the birth:

(i) one of the child's parents holds a visa (other than a special purpose visa); and

(ii) the other parent is, under section 83, included in that visa or does not hold a visa (other than a special purpose visa);

the child is taken to have been granted, at the time of the birth, a visa of the same kind and class and on the same terms and conditions (if any) as that visa.

(2) If:

(a) a child born in Australia is a non‑citizen when born; and

(:) at the time of the birth, each of the child's parents holds a visa (other than a special purpose visa);

the child is taken to have been granted, at the time of the birth, visas of the same kind and class and on the same terms and conditions (if any) as each of those visas.

(3) Subdivisions AA, AB, AC (other than section 68), AE and AH do not apply in relation to visas granted under this section.

Miskien net 'n paar opmerkings / aanbevelings (ons het 2 jong kinders en is nog in SA)

= Moenie daar aankom en dadelik probeer 'n baba he / kry nie. Kinders is 'n hengse aanpassing...lekker maar ook moeilik.

= Ondersteuning help baie as jy 'n baba het

= Sou nie die stress van 'n skuif oorsee en 'n baba saam aanbeveel nie...ondersteun die vorige brief in die opsig.

Sterkte.