Drivers Licenses in NSW

valkie

Hi all,

We are currently in the process of applying for a sponsored Visa 457. I have visited the drivers licenses website and from my understanding you do not need to go for a Australian driving license if you are not PR. ;)

I know that they also do not recognise drivers licenses from South Africa. I have a driving license from Canada but it is issued in October 2006, even though I have been driving in Canada with a International Driving License since we landed here. Can anyone tell me how this works???

Thanks to all

Valkie

Guest beninsyd
Hi all,

We are currently in the process of applying for a sponsored Visa 457. I have visited the drivers licenses website and from my understanding you do not need to go for a Australian driving license if you are not PR. ;)

I know that they also do not recognise drivers licenses from South Africa. I have a driving license from Canada but it is issued in October 2006, even though I have been driving in Canada with a International Driving License since we landed here. Can anyone tell me how this works???

Thanks to all

Valkie

Hi,

Before getting my PR I also lived here under Visa 457. You can use your SA drivers license until your PR gets approved. Then you have 3 months to get the local one. When getting the local drivers license, they punch holes into your SA license.

They don't recognise SA drivers licenses for conversion to a local one and you have to redo the driving test. Licenses from some countries can be 'converted' to a local one by only doing the theoretical exam.

When you go for your local license, to get normal license plates, you have to prove that you have been driving for a certain number of years (I think it is 4 - can't remember). So if your SA license has been issued in the last few years, bring your previous/old ones, or get a letter from SA to state how long you have been driving. Otherwise you get P-plates (Provisional License).

Hope this helps.

Edited by beninsyd

Hi there,

As has been stated, as a Temporary Resident Visa Holder, you are able to drive on your own license for as long as it is valid. If it expires during your stay here, you will have to either get a new foreign license issued, or else apply for your local license. Canadian drivers licenses are recognised, and you would be able to just swap it out, with a quick 'theory' test only.

For more information, go to the RTA website. For New South Wales, the website is www.rta.nsw.gov.au and from there you can navigate to New Residents in NSW or else Visitors to NSW (which covers 457 visa holders as well).

Good luck with the visa application!

Cheers

Ajay

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a SA Card license, there is a date at the bottom that states 1st issue, it is the 1st time you had a card license, but that should be for more than 4 years already, so check out your license first.

If you have a SA Card license, there is a date at the bottom that states 1st issue, it is the 1st time you had a card license, but that should be for more than 4 years already, so check out your license first.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have found all the info I need on the website. As I said I am a South African from Canada (sometimes it helps to go via another country) :) This means now that I only swap my Canadian License for the Australian one. Our application (Visa 457) was lodged on April 2, 2007 and we have to go for our medicals next week Wednesday, so hopefully we would be in Australia soon. Cannot wait!!!

Regards

Valkie