quality of life for our mom?

mark e

hi everyone,

Both my brother and I are in the process of moving to Aus. When we settle we would like to bring our mom over.

We will have enough money for the (very steep) application fee and the AoS, she will also have around R1000 000 to put towards a house. Our mom is a typical small-town tannie who has modest needs.

However, can anyone give us an idea of what most old folk live on?

Basically, what do you think most older South African tannies need per month to survive?

Hi there, my is Mom (64) is over in Brisbane and has been for three years now. She also went on the contr. visa . She paid cash for a small car and has rented a lovely two bed semi. She survives on very little but idealy she needs about $500 per week to get by comfortably. Her rent is $175 per week. She has invested her retirement money rather than buy property. She felt it was too risky at her age especially as she did not know that market.

hope this helps a bit

Hi Mark

Will your mom be working? My mom went over two weeks before her sixtieth birthday as CP and didn't plan to work. After six months she decided to look for a job and was employed at the first company she approached. This helps in two ways, obviously it helps to earn AUD - she bought her own place last year - and having work has assisted with the settling in process.

Good luck

Cindylou

Hi there

Silly question, but which visa's did your mom's use to get in at that age? My greatest concern is leaving parents behind and trying to determine easiest way to get them there once we immigrate...

Hi Chandi

Parents can go over on either of the two permanent or the temporary category. See here for details.

Cheers

Cindy

Hi there, my is Mom (64) is over in Brisbane and has been for three years now. She also went on the contr. visa . She paid cash for a small car and has rented a lovely two bed semi. She survives on very little but idealy she needs about $500 per week to get by comfortably. Her rent is $175 per week. She has invested her retirement money rather than buy property. She felt it was too risky at her age especially as she did not know that market.

hope this helps a bit

Hi Megan,

Noticed you're also in Durban. Please can I ask, how did your mom get over to Oz? If she was sponsored how long were your siblings? in Oz before they applied for her to come over?

I really need to get my parents over asap! I cannot leave them here for 2 years more! If anyone can offer me any advice on my quickest route, I'd be so grateful!