Behavoural Competency Based Interviews

SASydneysider

Behavioural_Competency_Based_Interviews.docHi,

The way in which interviews are conducted in Aus is very different to what we were used to in SA.

I found these competency based interviews really daunting (and I still do!). I would break out in a cold sweat in an interview whilst being "interrogated" face to face! The biggest problem I had, was to remember all the situations in detail and then to remember them at a drop of a hat in an interview situation! With a career of 30+ years this was a tall order!

When I had to attend an interview, I was a nervous wreck! The only way I could overcome this, was by preparing myself for the interview. It was/is not uncommon for me to prepare for an interview for a couple of hours the day before.

I've attached a detailed document on Behavioural Competency Based interviews which should assist anyone attending interviews here (whether for permanent or contracting roles).

Other advice I have, is to research as much about the company using the Internet and any other medium. Prepare an answer for everyone of the possibilities given on the Competency Based Interview document and memorise them.

After attending a couple of interviews, you will find there are certain questions that come up in most interviews. The more practice you get, the better you will be at it!

I hope this will assist!

Hi SAS

Thanx for that! :oops: I've never had a "real" job interview in my life, and that is perhaps one of the more daunting

aspects of leaving SA (not joking!) so any help is always appreciated.

Cheers, C

I found these competency based interviews really daunting (and I still do!).

Amen to that sister!! :holy:

I have had my first interview like this and it was 45 mins too long. :blink: At least now I know what to expect and will be more prepared next time. :oops:

This is a fantastic guideline, SAS - thanks for posting it. If anyone going for an interview takes the time to read through this and make sure that they have clear examples, they will ace the interview!

Thanks again - great value!

Ajay

• 2 weeks later...
Hi SAS

Thanx for that! ;) I've never had a "real" job interview in my life, and that is perhaps one of the more daunting

aspects of leaving SA (not joking!) so any help is always appreciated.

Cheers, C

Hi Cindylou,

I know exactly how you feel!

I've been in a new job now for 4 days. The first 3 days was stress beyond comprehension, sometimes to such an extent that I felt mentally paralysed. I refused to give up and on day 4, I calmed down and started enjoying the interesting things about the business.

I chaired my first meeting on day 4 and was even complimented on my structured approach and attention to detail. I have regained my confidence and I'm moving forward on a positive note. This show there is hope!

Once you get here and need some moral support, contact me. As they said on another thread, we now have a new family here.

Where in Aus are you planning on going?

Cheers

SAS

• 1 month later...

Eish maar die vrae in daai dokument is scary... :thumbdown:

Maar ek gaan nou maar eers fokus om net eers in een stuk aan te kom in Brisbane...dan sal ek my kop gaan breek oor daai vrae...

Scary... :ilikeit:

Hi All

Just to also say something about interviewing:

SAsydneysider - well done - a lot of valuable info for a lot of us. I actually believe it or not did a course on Competency Based Interviewing in South Africa in 2001!!!!!! And have been using this method of interviewing since. You get so much more information because it forces people to focus on real life/work examples - you quickly realise whether they have actually been in these situations or wether they just trying to give a textbook answer.

I have been through 14 interviews (in Brisbane) towards the end of last year before I decided which offer to take. All these interviews were conducted by Managers/Directors at various Recruitment Companies and I had two interviews that were based on this method of interviewing - interesting nê???

But rather be prepared ..........................then attending interviews will be a breeze.

Cheers

Rialet

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SAS (and other interetsed parties)

Am going for an interview today (in SA) and looked through the attachment again - hopefully they don't ask me all those questions! Perhaps it won't be as formal, as they asked me to "pop round for a chat" but maybe that's HR speak for "pop in unprepared and let us jump you" Either way it's great to have the information just in case. (at least I'll finally get to experience a job interview!)

Thanx once again!

Cindy

Hi C'Lou, Good luck with the interview!! ..... or should I say hope the job meets your expectations. Rather late than never! Let us know how it went!

SAS

Hiya SAS

It really was just a chat, so I didn't have to get all "deep n meaningful" but I'm glad I went prepared for it JIC. The only really difficult question was "where do you see yourself in three years?" and I wanted to say "anywhere but here" but managed to bite my tongue - on the advice of most people I've decided not to mention the Aus thing for now.

So now its a case of see if they offer me a position, see how much they'll pay me and decide if it's worth my while to change right now.

C'Lou