The Hills, Sydney - NSW

australian

Hi all

We did our LSD trip last year and in the short space of time we decided to settle on North Shore, NSW....we found schools for both children and were basically happy with our decision.....

We have now looked around more and realised the area we have chosen is not the cheapest when it comes to property rentals. I have looked on the internet and seen that the Hills area looks like it is not too far from where we were originally looking (West Pymble, Gordon) and was wondering if anyone living in this area could help me with the following questions!!

1) Any suggestions on suburbs....I have looked at Castle Hill, Pennant Hills, Thornleigh and Winston Hills. What are these areas like??

2) Any suggestions on good schools in any of these areas, I have a daughetr in grade 1 and a Son of 3 years old

3) How far is this from Sydney Central, and which train line do you use. Do you have to go through to Hornsby and catch the North Shore line or is there a quicker route?

Thanks so much, I would appreciate any help. I am hoping to stay at home with the kids when we arrive, and therefore need to look at spending around $350 for rent instead of the $500/$600 we have budgeted for West Pymble

Robyn

This is a very interesting question.

We are due to arive sometime this year and the suburbs seem to nice. Would be very good to hear the oppinions of the formites :-)

Regards

Johan

The threads are amazing.

The Hills sound very nice.

Thanks a million

Johan

Thanks so much Dedrei

and thanks Riekie for all that info...most of my questions answered.

Just one more, do you catch the train directly into Sydney, or do you have to go via Hornsby....just trying to work out exactly where the Hills are in relation to St Ives, Pymble ect. We spent all our time in Aus on the North Shore (my family are in Chatswood) so we choose West Pymble to be close to them....but the Hills looks really nice so we are reconsidering!!

Hi, me again

I have done some more research on the Hills and am interested in Pennant Hills, West Pennant Hills and Thornleigh. My main concern is schools for my children.

Does anyone know or have kids at West Pennant Public School, Pennant Hills Public School or West Thornleigh Public School....I have had a look at their websites, but it is difficult to judge a school by this. I am also looking for full day care for my 3 year old...any suggestions.

Thanks again

Robyn

The Hills is more to the West of St Ives - here's a Suburb map of Sydney: (St Ives is located @ K1 - The Hills area @ G1, H1 & H2)

post-4-1172016613.gif

Just one more, do you catch the train directly into Sydney, or do you have to go via Hornsby....just trying to work out exactly where the Hills are in relation to St Ives, Pymble ect.
Hi Australian,

I also live in the Hills in Dural, which is next to Cherrybrook and Castle Hill. The closest stations to me are Thornleigh, Pennant Hills and Beecroft. This line is called the Northern Line and you do not have to go via Hornsby.

Another option to get to the city from the Hills is the City Bus.

To plot a specific route, use the Transport Infoline http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp . I have found this site very helpful as you can put in where you want to travel from (address,suburg, landmark or wharf), at what time and then a destination. This site will give you a couple of options and uses buses, ferries and trains to plot the exact route including train changes and on which platforms.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with schools.

SAS

Hi australian,

I live in Cherrybrook as well. I catch the train at Pennant Hills station (about 5km's from home) to the city - it is a direct line and does not go via Hornsby. The trip on a limited stops train takes about 45/50 minutes and on the all stops, it takes about 60 minutes.

I can't speak for all of the schools, but West Pennant Hills Public has a good reputation...

Good luck!

Ajay

Hi all

Thanks so much for all your responses, and for the map. I now have a much better idea where all these areas are.