Honest feelings

Trevor & Hayley

Hi All,

Well, I'm thrilled to announce that my husband and I received our acceptance visa (136) into Australia on Monday last week. Now, I suppose I should have been celebrating but quite honestly we were left with a mixture of feelings and this was all a slight anti climax. I am SO very close to my family, we live in the same street and I have a younger brother of 13 years.

I want to know just how hard the intial move is to Australia. How long does it take to settle and what do I tell my children of 16 months and 3 years when they ask after their grandparents and uncle?

I know that my priority lies with my two little girls and their future and I'm certainly not happy in SA but I'm scared of leaving the most precious people(my parents and brother) in my life and moving somewhere where I know no-one.

I am excited but I'm dreading my goodbyes. I really need to get my family across to Oz!

I just need to know honestly how people have coped and if there ever were regrets?

Thanks Hayley :hug:

Congratulations

We were also hesitant to leave our family behind but we are really enjoying life in Perth. It is hard at first to adjust to the way things work here but you won't regret bringing your children into an environment where they can play in the local park or in the front garden (with no fence) without you worrying that something awful will happen to them.

You will make friends relatively quickly, most people are very friendly.

Where in Perth are you intending to stay?

Give us a shout when you arrive and we'll have a coffee or a barbie :hug:

Good luck

Gaille

Thanks Gaille, you're so kind!

Got so many things to organise now. I don't know where we'll stay in Perth but have been told North of the river about 20 odd km from the city centre?

I suspect my husband will go first and get things set up a little before I come with my 2 small children. not going to be easy. Do you think we should organise a rental home off the internet and all come together?

Hi

We stay north of the city and west of the Mitchell Freeway - We think that is the best area.

I would come together if you have that option. I wouldn't rent a property from just seeing it on the net - some of them are SCARY! I would rather come over and stay in temporary accomodation for the first week or two that way you can suss things out for yourself.

We rented temp accomodation from a lady called Jan, here is her website the house was really in good condition and had everything you would need in the beginning.

Good luck

Gaille

Edited by The Parsons Family

Hi Hayley

My hubby and I were chatting yesterday about the big move and he said to me that he will miss his family the most once we are in Oz and this for him, is probably the biggest hurdle to cross.

I asked him what alternative there is, to which he replied there isn't an alternative and that it is a sacrifice we make for our children.

If you have children and you move anywhere away from family, it makes it so much easier to meet other parents (potential friends) through your kids, their new school etc.

Perth has a big expat community and you will have so much support. :rolleyes:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Kim

Hi Hayley,

Ons het al in Desember ons 136 visas gekry en ek weet presies hoe jy voel. Ons is nou op die stadium om te onderhandel wanneer ons oorgaan. My man het reeds werk gekry, dis nou maar net om finaliteit te kry oor wanneer hy begin. Sal April wees.

Maar ja, realiteit het ons ook nou getref en weet nie hoe ons deur die groetery van familie en vriende gaan kom nie.

Maar ten spyte van dit, is ons nog steeds opgewonde oor die nuwe avontuur wat vir ons wag. Toe ek vandag so deur die koerant blaai......kon ek nie help om te wens dat ons alreeds op die vliegtuig kan wees oppad na 'n beter lewe nie. Net jammer ons moet soveel mense agterlaat.

Maar moet ook byse dat dit nog altyd 'n droom was om Australie (Sydney) toe te gaan vandat ons in 2000 daar gebly het vir 6 mnde!

Is ons spyt? Nooit nie, en dink nie ons sal terugkyk as ons eers daar is nie. :rolleyes:

Ons is baie opgewonde maar ook effens bang vir wat voorle, soos waar ons gaan bly die eerste paar nagte as ons daar aangekom het ens. Nog maar baie onseker oor wat om te verwag as ons eers daar is, maar ons weet ook dat God saam met ons gaan!

Hoop dit help so 'n bietjie :angry:

groete

die Schoemies

sacrifice we make for our children.

Kim

Hi Kim, its me again. :whome:

Leaving for the children is a common reason but it is also not fully correct. Not having to sleep with a gun close at hand, a gaurd dog, armed response, being able to leave your car on the street and know it will be there.

Not having to see rows of people begging you to buy from them at the traffic lights, or worry asbout being mugged every day.

Then the issue of not having to worry about not getting work because you are too old or white.

For my wife not having to consider every patient that is in the hospital is an AIDS carrying death seeentance if you make a mistake.

I constantly wish my 2 remaining RSA brothers would migrate or even visit, and the parents would come and see why we did it, but my dad says he is too old and my wifes parents are still pretending we are coming back because we have made a big mistake. But with a brother and his family in Australia, more than half of the children are out of africa. I hope they wake up before its too late! :whome:

One brother was hijacked 2 twice and shot once and still thinks it is the place to be.

She faxed her mom the pledge from our citizenship ceremony and still no response. At this point we are starting to build a group of good friends, who we can call on if we need support.

Hi Kim, its me again. :blush:

Leaving for the children is a common reason but it is also not fully correct. Not having to sleep with a gun close at hand, a gaurd dog, armed response, being able to leave your car on the street and know it will be there.

Not having to see rows of people begging you to buy from them at the traffic lights, or worry asbout being mugged every day.

Then the issue of not having to worry about not getting work because you are too old or white.

For my wife not having to consider every patient that is in the hospital is an AIDS carrying death seeentance if you make a mistake.

I constantly wish my 2 remaining RSA brothers would migrate or even visit, and the parents would come and see why we did it, but my dad says he is too old and my wifes parents are still pretending we are coming back because we have made a big mistake. But with a brother and his family in Australia, more than half of the children are out of africa. I hope they wake up before its too late! :whome:

One brother was hijacked 2 twice and shot once and still thinks it is the place to be.

She faxed her mom the pledge from our citizenship ceremony and still no response. At this point we are starting to build a group of good friends, who we can call on if we need support.

Hi me again...

Firstly a huge CONGRATULATIONS from my side on your citizenship. I wish we were in your boat. :whome:

And yes, you are right for us to not just leave for our children, but for all the reasons you mentioned above.

It's tough having family who don't want to make the change as you did. Especially since you know it was the right thing to have done.

I guess immigration is a personal decision and we can't force others to do it, even if we wanted to. :blush:

Honestly, we regret not leaving earlier. And as far as the benifit, yes of course the children are GUARANTEED chance at a career, future and oppertunity, but dont forget we are all economically active and have skills, thats why we are here after all. I have also come to complete or achieve my own career aspirations which sadly I would not have been able to, or at least do not think I have a guaranteed chance of achieving in SA. Here i have made more career progress in 1 year than in the last 5 years in SA and my future looks rosy. So kids and parents win in our case at least.The benifits FAR outweight the negatives, for us and most we talk to in any case, some people may have other opinions and familly issues I can completely understand. Lets hear some.

'n briefie van 'n dame wat total gestrem is... dis my antwoord op jou vraag!!!!

My nuwe horison

Aangeheg is ‘n foto wat John geneem het, 9 Januarie 2007, ons eerste dag in Australië, Adelaide, Henley Beach. Manton speel in die water en ek en John bewonder die ongelooflike sonsondergang 21h00. Dit was ‘n asemrowende uitsig en ek het die Here gedank dat Hy ons gelei het na hierdie geseënde, nuwe begin. Ons het min geweet hoeveel seëninge lê nog voor. Ja, ek hoor die doemprofete daar in SA; wag dis nog nuut, die swaarkry wag nog. Omdat so ‘n skuif ‘n onmenslike groot gebeurtenis is, het ons besluit om dit een tree op ‘n slag te neem, want die geheelbeeld is te groot vir ons begrip. So as mense ons vra vir hoe lank is ons hier, antwoord ons een dag op ‘n slag. Dit werk vir ons, want elke dag sovêr was hanteerbaar, nee, ek jok; dit is ‘n belewenis. Ons kan nie ons Vader genoeg bedank vir die beloftes wat Hy nakom nie. Ons staan daagliks verstom oor wat Hy in ons lewens doen. Ja, Sy beloftes was – ‘greater abundance than you can imagine, do not fear, you are not alone, I will supply in all your needs, I will give you more than you can ask for, en baie meer. Hy antwoord in ons behoeftes, selfs voor ons dit vra, selfs wanneer dit nog net ‘n gedagte is. Ons dank Hom daarvoor en ons vra julle om Hom saam met ons te prys. As daar nog enige twyfel in jou hart is, oor jou Verlosser, asseblief, ek wil dit uitbasuin – Die Here lewe!

Ja, daar is vrese wat opkom, maar dis alles vrese oor die dag van more, en die Here verseker ons om nie te bekommer oor die dag van more nie.

Ons is tuis in ons nuwe houthuisie en dis reeds ons koninlike tuiste, al wag ons nog vir ons meubels. Roxby Downs het ons met ope arms ontvang en ons het elkeen ons plekkie in die son gevind.

Bly hoop, moet nooit moed opgee nie, alles werk presies volgens God se plan, al lyk dit vir ons onverstaanbaar.

Vandag ontvang ek die briefie van haar en ek moet dit ook net pos...

So leer ons in Aus

Gister gaan die krag af, J is uit vir ete en Manton en Wessel het gaan iced koffie drink. My eerste gedagte, my voordeur werk met elektrisiteit en is ek nou vasgevang? [Die wat my ken, sal weet dat wanneer ek saans/ enige ander tyd alleen tuis was, ek die deur oopgehou het, want ek het hierdie vrees die huis slaan aan die brand en ek kan nie uitkom nie, die feit dat die SA kriminele kon inkom, het my minder gepla.] Ek probeer dadelik die deur oopmaak en ek kry dit reg met ‘n bietjie gesukkel. Nie lank daarna nie, kom J tuis. Die restaurant het almal huis toe gestuur. Die drankies wat hulle reeds gedrink het, onbetaald. John is sommer reguit Woolies toe om kerse te koop. Die 2l Coke bottel koning, is nie links nie en sny kershouers uit ou bottels, vul dit met ons woestynsand en druk die kerse daarin. O wee, die nie-rokers het nie vuurhoutjies nie. Manton en Wessel hardloop terug Woolies toe, maar kom leë hande tuis. In Aus mag kinders onder agtien nie vuurhoutjies of aanstekers koop nie! So leer ons. En o ja, julle rokers. Hier is die aakligste anti-rook advertensies; mense wat se tande vrot, mense wat se tone afvrot, vrot longe, liederlik en die aaklige foto’s is ook op die sigaret pakkies. Hier is hulle egter nog nie so streng met rook in die publiek nie, maar die wette verander stadig, maar seker.

O, so terloops die krag het gou aangekom en vuurhoutjies is op ons inkopielys geskryf.

post-1446-1172051834.jpg

Hi All,

Well, I'm thrilled to announce that my husband and I received our acceptance visa (136) into Australia on Monday last week. Now, I suppose I should have been celebrating but quite honestly we were left with a mixture of feelings and this was all a slight anti climax. I am SO very close to my family, we live in the same street and I have a younger brother of 13 years.

I want to know just how hard the intial move is to Australia. How long does it take to settle and what do I tell my children of 16 months and 3 years when they ask after their grandparents and uncle?

I know that my priority lies with my two little girls and their future and I'm certainly not happy in SA but I'm scared of leaving the most precious people(my parents and brother) in my life and moving somewhere where I know no-one.

I am excited but I'm dreading my goodbyes. I really need to get my family across to Oz!

I just need to know honestly how people have coped and if there ever were regrets?

Thanks Hayley :angry:

Hi Hayley

I feel exactly the same as you!! I have send you a PM!!

Regards

Tanya