Accountants assessments

Dedrei

This thread is dedicated to all your questions & queries you might have regarding getting your skills assessed if you are an Accountant and also just a 'support group' for them.

The websites for assessing authorities are

ICAA

CPA

NIA

If you are not sure what assessing authority is applicable for your occupation have a look here

Good idea to start a support group. My wife is a CA and we are awaiting her skills assessment from ICAA (within the next 5 weeks) .java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_11')

:cry:

I found that there is a large number of CAs wanting to go to OZ (the skills shortage and all…). They are so in demand that you might be able to find employment within a couple of weeks from contacting a recruiter. We had telephonic interviews two weeks ago with a recruiter in Oz (via SA recruiter) and my wife already had x2 potential offers. They are willing to sponsor and you can obtain, with their assistance, a sponsorship VISA within 1-2 months. The employer will assist you in traveling arrangements, accommodation etc.

However, we have decided to rather hold on for a while until we get our PR VISA, since it offers more immediate benefits than a sponsorship VISA and we do not wish to be bound to an employer for a specific period (they will require that you remain in their employ for ex. X2 years as they have invested in your sponsorship).

For those who are interested in searching for employment at an Oz firm on a sponsorship VISA, speak to Danielle Langkilde at 011 886 2471 (danielle@recruitmentdirect.co.za). She will be able to assist.

Hope this info will help.

Good idea. My wife will hopefully know in Feb if she is a CA. We did however submit (30 Jan 07) her current qualifications to the NIA for assessments. If any of you have a contact person or tips will you please forward us the info?

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Some changes with Accountant assessments have occurred from Sep2007, please see this thread of mine

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=8738

I submitted my assessment to CPA yesterday and would like to know the following:

1) How long does it take (in real life) to get an assessment ?

2) Do I understand correctly that you need 9 of the 12 subjects accredited to be able to use it for a visa(175) application provided you complete the subjects needed when you are in AUS?? (Or do you have to complete the subjecs (not accredited) before you submit your visa) :huh:

I would apppreciate any help in this regard

My wife is a CA and we are awaiting her skills assessment from ICAA (within the next 5 weeks)

Hi Jacques

The ICAA site states 2 weeks for members of fully recognised accounting bodies, of which SAICA is one.

Assesment should therefore be 2 weeks, not the 5+

It seems that SAICA members don't even have to render exam transcripts or accademic records anymore, just copies of degrees and evidence of membership in good standing

Cheers

Jan

• 2 months later...

Hi Dedrei

I'm a SAIPA member. which assessing authourity will be the best to apply to, and where does SAIPA members fit into the Australian accounting structure. I'm not sure for wich jobs i'm quallified to apply for. As I said , I'm a SAIPA member and had my own public practise for the last ten years.

f anyone else can also help me I'll appreciate it

Regards

Francois

Anyone else submitted to CPA recently?

AfrikaSon

Ja, ek het gister my uitslag vanaf CPA gekry. Gelukkig was dit 'n positief. :rolleyes: Ek was bekommerd aangesien ek gespesialiseer het in Finansieele bestuur en nie in 'accounting" nie.

Ek het hulle versoek om die uitslag aan my te faks en dan die oorspronklike dokumente te stuur. Dit het ongeveer twee maande geneem

Groete

Gena

This thread is dedicated to all your questions & queries you might have regarding getting your skills assessed if you are an Accountant and also just a 'support group' for them.

The websites for assessing authorities are

ICAA

CPA

NIA

If you are not sure what assessing authority is applicable for your occupation have a look here

Any advice about choosing between the Accountant code (which is on MODL) and Finance manager (which is not) My skills cover both areas, so I ticked the Accountant block for my skills assessment. Did I make the right choice?

Gail: That will depend entirely upon the subjects you did for you degree. For the accounting accreditation they only look at your degree, not your experience. So, if you've got all those subjects that they require for a positive Accounting assessment you should be OK.

Sleepless: If the assessing body gives you the OK for those required 9/12 subjects you can apply for you visa, (it is regarded as a positive skills assessment for migration purposes) you will only need to do those missing subjects if you wish to register with the specific Accounting body. Have a look on those three websites mentioned. They set out the requirements for registration with each Accounting body.

Francois: Have a look at those 3 websites mentioned. As far as I can figure it out I would say the equivalent to the SAIPA is the CPA. Unfortunately Australia does not recognize the SAIPA (not even partially as they do the SAICA) so you will need transcripts of your curriculum, etc.

For CPA to take two full months...that's not on! (huh Gena...hulle spog dan by my dat hul proses vanaf 1 Mrt so smart is dat hul nou af is na 6weke max...ook maar te naby aan 2mnde hey...)

Well let's see, I've sent my stuff yesterday via Speed Services (they make use of Sun Couriers for internationals) and I paid R271.41. I hope it gets there let alone soonest, but now we wait - again.

I'm also more into Financial Management that pure accounting and it should be okay with them - as Gena proved as well - phew, that's good news.

All the best to all of you!

Gail: That will depend entirely upon the subjects you did for you degree. For the accounting accreditation they only look at your degree, not your experience. So, if you've got all those subjects that they require for a positive Accounting assessment you should be OK.

Thanks. I am a CA, so no problem getting the qualification assessed. However I have to choose between ASCO code 1211-11 Finance Manager and ASCO 2211-11 Accountant. As far as I am concerned I have experience to cover both, (according to the defined job desriptions and tasks) but prefer Accountant because it is on the MODL. My most recent job (of the last 3 years) probably most better fits the Finance Manager description.

Can you please give me your opinion?

Much appreciated.

Thanks. I am a CA, so no problem getting the qualification assessed. However I have to choose between ASCO code 1211-11 Finance Manager and ASCO 2211-11 Accountant. As far as I am concerned I have experience to cover both, (according to the defined job desriptions and tasks) but prefer Accountant because it is on the MODL. My most recent job (of the last 3 years) probably most better fits the Finance Manager description.

Can you please give me your opinion?

Much appreciated.

We put Finance manager on the application for the reason that most recent job better fits the description as you have mentioned. We did um and ah about the MODL inclusion of accountant but decided to play it safer. (Us daring CA's you know!! :whome: )

Hi

I've been in London for the past 5 years and are planning to settle in Australia. :ilikeit: I have a B Compt and B Compt(Hon) degrees from Unisa and is currently busy completing the Professional Level of ACCA.

I have two questions and will greatly appreciate some assistance:

1. What is my chances of obtaining a positive skills assessment based only on my degrees from Unisa? We want to apply for a 175 as soon as possible and want to know if we should wait till I complete ACCA (December 2008) or apply now based on my current qualifications.

I've worked as both a management accountant and a financial controller within the past 5 years and could probably apply for a finance manager ASCO code 1211-11 and Accountant ASCO 2211-11.

2. What is the importance of applying for a specific classification? Will I be limited with regards to certain roles?

3. What is the job prospect for a part qualified accountant?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions! We want to get the ball rolling! :)

Regards,

Ohann

*PS: Ilani is my wife!

I can understand the dilemma of CA's because you are more likely to be doing Financial Management than plain accounting work! And where do you draw the line between accounting and Financial management??? :)

In the end it will all come down to points I guess and how you word your "proof of specific job experience". Maybe a Migration Agent will be able to assist best as to what should be the description of each. Wish they had a "generic job description" somewhere where one could compare the two and know for sure what they understand under each. :angry: Points, points, points, that is what it all boils down to!

But for CA's I'd most definitely recommend using the ICAA for your assessment. Think they might be quicker than the CPA as well, with the added "express" option. Also if you wish to practice as a CA in Australia, the sooner you get in contact with them the better!

Ohann: If you've got the right subjects for your degree, no problem. The change regarding the tax and law subjects makes it soooo much easier to get the required 9/12. :ilikeit:

Remember in the end it is your experience and skills that gets you the job and not the ASCO code under which you got your Visa! You are not obliged to do the exact work of the ASCO code (under which you got your visa), but is presumed that you would naturally work in the area of your expertise.

• 1 month later...

Hi Julle,

Het enige iemand wat deur CPA hulle assessment gedoen het, ook deur Unisa geswot? Ons is opsoek na die Syllabus details (wat hieronder beskryf word op CPA se website). Dit moet relevant wees tot die jare wat jy geswot het. My man het in 2001 sy BCompt graad en in 2002 sy BCompt Hons gedoen.

"3. Syllabus details (subject outlines)

Applicants must provide details for all relevant accounting, law,finance, economics, statistics and computer information systems subjects. The syllabus must refer to the years in which you studied and the titles of subject outlines must match the subjects listed on your transcripts. If the syllabus document includes other units not relevant in your application please highlightthe titles of the units actually studied. If the syllabus is not in English, please provide an official translation. If an official translation can not be provided your own translated syllabus with a statutory declaration stating the translation is in your own words will be accepted. It is your responsibility to ensure that you provide adequate syllabus detail to demonstrate that your studies covered the required core curriculum subject areas. Failure to provide sufficient detail may adversely affect the result of your assessment. You will be advised to complete further studies

if we are unable to assess the depth of your knowledge. All enquiries regarding courses need to be directed to the

relevant university."

Dit sal baie gaaf wees as enige iemand ons kan help!

Ilani

I have to choose between ASCO code 1211-11 Finance Manager and ASCO 2211-11 Accountant. As far as I am concerned I have experience to cover both, (according to the defined job desriptions and tasks) but prefer Accountant because it is on the MODL. My most recent job (of the last 3 years) probably most better fits the Finance Manager description.

You get the MODL points if your chosen profession is on MODL & your experience is in a related profession which is listed on the SOList

So if you qualify as accountant (even without experience), you get the extra points for experience as Financial Manager (which is on the SOL)

So the choice is yours - do you want the extra points for MODL or not?

Bare in mind that you are under no obligation to work in your chosen profession, when you land

I, for example, applied under accountant, but do not intend working as a CA ..... I'd like to be able to earn a decent living ...

Cheers

Jan

Hey JanCPT, I am with you. I did skills assess through ICAA, on accountant but have no intention of working in accounting....

Others: PLease don't take this the wrong way, but I think that as professionals, to many people start off with impressing the immigration agent - I am a Financial Director, CA, MBA etc etc - This isn't a job interview - he doesn't care about that so don't focus on it.

Think you need to seperate out 2 different activities

(1) Getting a visa - forget title, grade, status etc - go for max points and coverage and tailor your response to meet the criteria (not lie, just word-smithing, if you have an agent they can help wtih this, if not, just do some google searches) - I would go and did for accountant

(2) Getting your job - this you do when in aus, and you can concentrate on whatever is important to you, doesn't even have to be in the field of your visa application

• 4 weeks later...

The skills assessment form on the ICAA website for migration "PASA" is apparently outdated. I was emailed the new form by a consultant working at ICAA.

Here it is...

PASA.pdf

The skills assessment form on the ICAA website for migration "PASA" is apparently outdated. I was emailed the new form by a consultant working at ICAA.

Here it is...

It does not look very different to the one I sent. The most important part ... list of required documentation is still the same just a bit clearer.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes from when the status of the skills assessment from ICAA changes from "in progress" to "processed" until you actually receive the letter in the post. It has been 3 weeks since the status change and we have got nothing in the post yet.

Sleepless: If the assessing body gives you the OK for those required 9/12 subjects you can apply for you visa, (it is regarded as a positive skills assessment for migration purposes) you will only need to do those missing subjects if you wish to register with the specific Accounting body. Have a look on those three websites mentioned. They set out the requirements for registration with each Accounting body.

Francois: Have a look at those 3 websites mentioned. As far as I can figure it out I would say the equivalent to the SAIPA is the CPA. Unfortunately Australia does not recognize the SAIPA (not even partially as they do the SAICA) so you will need transcripts of your curriculum, etc.

Francois,

My man is ook 'n SAIPA lid. Hulle het 'n ooreenkoms met die NIA. Hy het verlede jaar sy skills assment deur hulle gedoen en het dit gekry. Maak jou net gereed dat dit nie die 8 weke vat wat hulle se nie, maar in ons geval het dit 6 maande gevat. Bel hulle ook net hulle help 'n mens graag. Ons het ook op SAIPA se webwerf die brief afgetrek van die ooreenkoms tussen SAIPA en die NIA.

Groete

Ewouda

Hallo daar alle Forumites

Kan iemand dalk help? Ek het op 5 Junie 2008 my skills assessment met gewone pos gestuur na NIA. Ek het tot op hede nog niks van hulle gehoor nie en het ook 'n voeltjie hoor fluit dat die SA Poskantoor probleme het met buitelandse pos??!!

Wat sal julle aanbeveel? Moet ek nog bietjie wag of dink julle ek moet my aansoek weer invul en die keer met 'n koerier stuur? Watter koerier kan aanbeveel word?

Marlese

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I see on the docs required on the ICAA form it says something about "a legend explaining the grading system must be included". What exactly is this?

I have my degree's certified, a description of what the courses entailed and a letter stating all my grades. i no see that this grading legend needs to be included - what is this?

Thanks!