Budget Sydney Haircut

baffelkat

Just thought I have to share my experience in trying to find a budget haircut in Sydney:

So coming here just about a year ago I could not justify AU$ 60 for a mens cut in a trendy salon on Blues Point road. I have tried the "Just Cuts" walk-in salons in the Westfields before at AU$ 26 but thought is still a lot of dollar for a 6-8 minute haircut. Walking down the main pedestrian area in Chatswood one evening after work I spot an advertisement for a AU$15 haircut in what looks like a nice clean salon with many very friendly and attractive asian ladies welcoming you.

So I sit down and reherse my normal routine which was met with an overwhelming "YES YES YES". I repeated to leave the "Kuif" / "Fringe" slightly long so that it still curls up which was met with an even more welcoming YES YES YES. Suddenly a scissor comes out and goes straight for the "Kuif" /"Fringe"...seconds later the "Kuif" / "Fringe" was on te floor next to me. Very politely and with a giggle I asked why she cut the "Kuif" / "Fringe" off and again I was met with a YES YES YES. I wasn't too upset about it and thought the rest of the haircut was quite funny trying to keep the conversation going :-)

Happy haircutting!!!

Jeeeze Hannes,

I charge $25 for men/ $60 for ladies and I am just a few clicks from you in Drummoyne. Plus I speak fluent English and Afrikaans. Goedkoop koop is duur koop. :rolleyes:

Hannes...That is so funny!!Me being a hairdresser...I had the giggles!

Well done Rozellem for offering your services!

Ceau

Thanks rozellem - I will definately make the trip to Drummoyne for a haircut....the "kuif" is growing nicely and will be ready for a cut shortly :-)

I had a very similar experience! I went to Just Cuts because all I needed was a kuif trim and I was in the mall without my baby for the first time in... um... ever. The gothic girl that cut my hair was cool, I asked her not to thin it out because I wanted to try the blunt cut fringe and she said thats fine I can come back to her and she can thin it out if I dont like it. WELL, I went back there but she wasnt there and they handed me over to an asian guy. I explained that I only wanted it thinned out slightly, dont take anything off the length. He also said yes yes and kept saying "whispy".... I kept saying NO, not whispy. This continued about 4 times. He then started cutting and I closed my eyes to avoid getting hair in my eyes but I had to eventually open them when I thought it was just taking toooooo long to thin out a little fringe! Well....... he had butchered my fringe beyond repair. It was jagged and WAY shorter than it had been. There was so much hair on my lap I wanted to cry. The worst part of it all is that he had NO IDEA that I was telling him I DONT LIKE IT! He just kept saying yes yes. What a frustrating day. And then the lady that works at the cash register had the nerve to say that she thought it looked better this way...... not quite the point. Why ask people what they want if you dont even understand what they are saying??

HI all,

Thanks for the warning on the hairdressers in Oz, sounds quite scary, @SANZOZ, I probably would have cried in your situation, I am very wary about having my hair cut by people I don't know.

@ ANYONE IN CANBERRA, please tell me there are decent hairdresses there, and if so where so we can make a note, in the meantime I'm going to make sure that before we get on that plane (2 days before) I will have my hair done at my local hairdresser for the last time so at least it will last me a while.

Thanks again for the warning.

T

HI all,

Thanks for the warning on the hairdressers in Oz, sounds quite scary, @SANZOZ, I probably would have cried in your situation, I am very wary about having my hair cut by people I don't know.

@ ANYONE IN CANBERRA, please tell me there are decent hairdresses there, and if so where so we can make a note, in the meantime I'm going to make sure that before we get on that plane (2 days before) I will have my hair done at my local hairdresser for the last time so at least it will last me a while.

Thanks again for the warning.

T

Dont fear Orion, there are plenty of excellent hairdressers in Australia. Embarrassingly, for people like myself in the profession, there was a immigration "loophole" for quite a while whereby people could come and "study" to become a hairdresser in Australia and afterwards get themselves on a relatively easy path to Permanent Residency. Unscrupulous "hair colleges" sprung up like mushrooms taking large sums from these people who really did not want to be hairdressers as much as they wanted to be living in Australia, bad combo all around. Rule of thumb: If the person with the scissors cant communicate with you, you have no business being in that chair. RUN!

Baffelkat I had my stint hunting a hairdresser and I Rozellem eventually came to my rescue. So I'm sure you will be you again without your kuif on the floor.

I went to my hairdresser yesterday for my monthly cut.

I told him that the last guy I want to visit before my departure is him, coz he is really the best scissor handler in the world to me.

I have been going to him since 1995.

Daai man weet net hoe!

And now all these scary stories are doing the rounds :whome:

But ja, If the person won't be able to communicate with me, I will walk out that door before they start! :ilikeit:

Rule of thumb: If the person with the scissors cant communicate with you, you have no business being in that chair. RUN!

Best advice ever....

And I will be giving you a call when I am ready to have scissors near my hair again :ilikeit:

Archived