New GSM Points test released 10 November 2010

Fiona

Hi All,

We have been notified that a new GSM points test has been released.

Some major changes include:

• The bundling of qualifications and work experience to achieve the majority of points;

• An increased of the GSM age limit to 50 years of age;

• The inclusion of two additional recognised English language tests;

• The degree of relationship between sponsor and applicant now determining points awarded for sponsorship;

• Sponsors now must be Australian citizens of at least five years and resident of at least the two years immediately prior to application; and

• Regional family sponsors now must be residents of a designated area for at least two years immediately prior to application.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

2.20pm IMPORTANT NOTE: The above information has since been retracted by the MIA as inaccurate. We are expecting release of the new points test tomorrow and I will let you know when any info comes through.

Thanks for posting. When does this come into effect? It doesn't seem to be on the immi.gov.au website yet.

Edited to add: just found this article mentioned on another forum: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-edu...x-1225950294947 Seems like it might be announced tomorrow?

Please disregard the information I posted above as the MIA have now retracted their notice about the new points test as the information appears to have been inaccurate. We are still expecting the release of the new points test tomorrow.

I will post any information tomorrow regarding the new points test.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Hi All,

We have been notified that a new GSM points test has been released.

Some major changes include:

• The bundling of qualifications and work experience to achieve the majority of points;

• An increased of the GSM age limit to 50 years of age;

• The inclusion of two additional recognised English language tests;

• The degree of relationship between sponsor and applicant now determining points awarded for sponsorship;

• Sponsors now must be Australian citizens of at least five years and resident of at least the two years immediately prior to application; and

• Regional family sponsors now must be residents of a designated area for at least two years immediately prior to application.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

This information has already been retracted by the MIA.

I'm thinking someone will be receiving a rather sharp rap over the knuckles!

Gosh- you would think they would have their ducks in order- someone is definitely in the poo.

They will probably end up with a transfer to a detention centre lol

Hey there.

We applied for a regional family sponsorship to the melbourne area more that a year ago. The government said due to the recession they would not even have a chance to look at app till 2012. Since then our family member has moved to a different state?

Now what? Do the new changes in legislation affect us. Will the move be a problem?

Thanks

nes :)

Hi,

Although no details are yet available, the Minister has announced on his website that the new points test is expected to come in to effect on 01/07/2011. So, K-vdm, no need to lodge panicked applications after all :)

I'm sure that more will follow as it becomes available.

Ajay

Thanks Ajay, you beat me to it! It is definitely good to know we all have some preparation time before the changes are put in place. (this doesn't seem to be true DIAC style!)

Regards,

Fiona

Hi everyone,

The changes to the points test have now officially been announced and as advised, come into effect on 01/07/2011. The system has been fairly radically overhauled, with occupation points disappearing, age limit of 49 (but no points awarded in the 45-49 age bracket) and what seems to be the cessation of family sponsorship in all but deisgnated regional areas. The pass mark is now 65 with the disappearance of the occupation points.

I'm out of the office at the moment so can't post the link but I'm sure one of my industry colleagues will oblige:-)

Hope this opens some doors for members!

Cheers

Ajay

Hi everyone,

The changes to the points test have now officially been announced and as advised, come into effect on 01/07/2011. The system has been fairly radically overhauled, with occupation points disappearing, age limit of 49 (but no points awarded in the 45-49 age bracket) and what seems to be the cessation of family sponsorship in all but deisgnated regional areas. The pass mark is now 65 with the disappearance of the occupation points.

I'm out of the office at the moment so can't post the link but I'm sure one of my industry colleagues will oblige:-)

Cheers

Ajay

Yippeee...... that means we will be able to apply as hubby missed the age requirement by one year. Do I understand correctly that we would have to wait until 1 July 2011 to lodge our application? Would it be possible to get State Sponsorship in the meantime?

Win

we would have been able to get PR if this had been in effect last year instead if doing the temp sponsored visa....

i hope it is good news for many!

Karina - would this be better or harder for you?

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Ajay

Thanks for the info Ajay, just trying to figure out though if your profession still has to be on the SOL for the new points test? I am a primary school teacher wanting to emigrate through a 175/176 and I get enough points but seems they dont want me :) .... Thanks for any light you can shed in the subject.

Hi,

Unfortunately, yes. You aren't eligible to apply for a subclass 175 visa if your occupation isn't on SOL schedule 3. You may want to keep an eye on the State Migration Plans (SMP) currently being released in a slow trickle from the various states/territories to see if any of them include primary school teachers. Your best bet will probably be the regional / low population areas.

As you've already learned, employer sponsored visas are very scarce in the school education sector too I'm afraid but still try SEEK as their is an agency who specializes in these roles-I think they're called Smart?

Good luck!

Mandy

Archived