School fees for Temporary Residents in NSW

Barnone

I know this question has been asked (and answered) numerous times, but I still didn't have a difinitive answer.

So I did some online research & found the best source to be here at the schools section of the NSW Dept. of Education.

I am still confused & this figure of AU$ 4500+ PA per child represents a lot of money (in my budget anyway) as we have 2 kids and we will be TR's on a 160 or 163 for at least 2 years before we are allowed to apply for PR. :huh:

If you follow the links here to the section for international students under Temporary Residents Program

"Temporary Resident and Visitor Visa Holders Enrolment Conditions

Students holding Temporary Resident Visas (including Business Visa holders, Dependent Student Visa holders, Student Guardian Visa holders, their dependents and Bridging Visa holders) and Visitor Visas have the opportunity to study at a NSW government school. Students holding these visas enrol through the International Student Centre Temporary Visa Holders Unit (TVHU)."

it gives an outline as to what class of visa's constitute "temporary residents" & there we are "160-165 and 300's"

read further down under "Conditions for Enrolment"

"Most students who hold a Temporary Resident Visa must pay a Temporary Visa Holders Education Fee and Administration Fee for enrolment in a NSW government school. Refer to Fees and Payment" so I follow the link here and it hits me like a slap in the face (actually more like several left right combination punches)

"Fees and Payment

Most students holding a Temporary Resident Visa are required to pay the Temporary Visa Holders Education Fee and an Administration fee. Please refer to the Schedule of Visas (pdf 34kb)

The NSW Department of Education and Training reserves the right to vary fees. Applicants will be required to pay the adjusted fees from the date of variation.

The fees for a 12-month period are:

Years 11 - 12 Senior High School A$5,500.00

Years 7 - 10 Junior High School A$4,500.00

Years K - 6 Primary School A$4,500.00

Administration Fee: A$110 (non-refundable and GST inclusive) for initial enrolment" :lol:

What am I thinking ? ... no Foxtel, no restuarants, "hostel" type food for 2 years at least ... maybe we should look at going to another another state, maybe just register in private schools, its not much more expensive.

But then I follow the link here to Schedule of Visas

Low & behold under our visa class 160 or 163 I see on the little matrix "TVHP fees payable" ..... "NO" ;)

now what am I thinking ? well there are lots of better ways I (& Mrs Bar0) :) can use AU$ 18 000.00 than the NSW govt & besides they are rich !

Please guys your opinions on this & just to help me sleep better, if someone in NSW could please ask at their kids school when they go back next week, I just want to know the answer !

Thanks in anticipation

Barnone(_0)

Edited by Barnone

Hi Barnone,

Unfortunatly we are one of those that have to pay schools fees in NSW. We are on a 457 visa and school fees cost us $ 5000.00 per child per year.... :( We have however arranged with the NSW Department of Education to "pay it off" which means every 4 months we pay $2 250. We were not informed of this before we came out and was quite a shock as we did not budget for it. :blink:

If you like, I can contact the NSW Department of Education and make queries on school fees on the type of visa you are going to be coming out on. Let me know which one it will be.

Hope you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to pay :ilikeit:

Cheers

Blondie

Low & behold under our visa class 160 or 163 I see on the little matrix "TVHP fees payable" ..... "NO" :ilikeit: Barnone(_0)

What does the P in TVHP fees stand for? Are you sure you have the right one? As far as I know it is TVHE fees for schools.... I could be wrong but just thought I'd mention it so you don't get a nasty surprise. :blink: We tried ALL our options and we were met by a brick-wall and a $4500 bill.... (Which Visa type & subclass are you?)

Two other things to consider, Barnone...

First of all, you can enrol your kids in any of the local catholic schools (catholicism not essential....just preferred :ilikeit: ) and you would pay the same school fees as anyone else. The Catholic schools are not part of the Dept of Education (althouth they are recognised - kinda like the private schools or independant schools in SA) so they charge their own fees, and they don't differentiate between residents and temporary residents. If memory serves, it's about $800 per annum for primary school, so signifincantly different.... They are considered part of the private system here.

The other option is for you to try for an exemption from fees for the public schools. They consider these exemptions on a case by case basis, and take your personal financial situation into account. It also seems that if only one parent is working, they consider it, and if only one is working whilst the other stays at home to raise a younger child, it is a strong influence on their decision. I know of 3 people that have gotten exemptions and these seem to be the main criteria.

Good luck

Ajay

Hi everyone, thanks for your interest & input on this confusing matter,

(thanks for your offer to get hold of them Blondie) but I couldn't wait & I got hold of them myself ...guess what ? I just got a late xmas present !

"Thank you for your email inquiry. I can inform you that as a holder of a 163 visa subclass there are no education fees payable to the Temporary Visa Holders Program, however as a temporary resident you must still enrol through our program. You will need to submit the following documents:

Ø A completed application form (which has been attached)

Ø A copy of the child’s passport

Ø A copy of the child’s visa

There may be payments of voluntary school contributions and additional fees for certain subjects or optional extension activities charged by the school. These types of fees and charges apply to all students, including permanent Australian residents and temporary residents.

I trust this has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards"

I hope this info may have saved someone else a "few bob" too :blink: or at least a nasty surprise :( .... like Blondies one :ilikeit:

Ajay, he did confirm that it is also possible to apply for a reduction for single parents or single income couple but was not sure of what the exact criteria is ...

And in answer to Riekies question ...in this case the "P" is for "Program"

"Barbucks"

Great news "Barbucks" - how's the app going?

On the subject of Catholic schools : I know of one young Anglican child who's teacher at the Catholic school told him that only Catholics go to heaven! Needless to say the poor child was devastated.

C'Lou

Great news "Barbucks" - how's the app going?

On the subject of Catholic schools : I know of one young Anglican child who's teacher at the Catholic school told him that only Catholics go to heaven! Needless to say the poor child was devastated.

C'Lou

I'm gonna highjack my own thread here !

I heard of a similar incident, except the teacher said "only Christians go to heaven" to a the child who was of the Jewish faith !

... his reply ...

"well mam perhaps you could explain how come Jesus who was the inventor of Christianity was Jewish"

OK enough idle religeous talk ... it only leads to problems

We are also a tad stressed about the cost of schools on a 457 Visa....twins at 5 years old costing $9000 on arrival!!

Is there anybody on the forum that does send their kids to a Catholic school?? Most seem to have chosen public schools regardless of the saving.......what prompted that choice? Do they concentrate heavily on religion or are they quite balanced? :ilikeit:

Bells

And in answer to Riekies question ...in this case the "P" is for "Program"

Thanks! It's all clear to me now. :ilikeit:

HI Bells,

As with all schools, the difference is in the actual school and the quality of its teachers as opposed to the general standard of public vs catholic. A few of my friends (some SAffers) have kids in Catholic schools and are quite happy. The religion aspect is minimal, in actuality.

I think the main reasons for most going to public is the availability (there are far more of them) and the fact that not many newbie's are aware of the catholic option and the fact that they don't have the same charges. Also, once you have been granted PR, the fees in public school falls away, so for most people, you would only pay for 2 years, or a maximum of 4. With the catholic or private system, the fees are payable throughout the years.

Hope this sheds a little more light..

Love

Ajay

Thanks Ajay.....that sums it up 4 me! I cetainly don't want to uproute and unsettle the boys too many times...so yes, public school it is for the long term!

Getting flight date today from IOM....about 4 weeks to go....looking forward to meeting you! :rolleyes:

Great Bells! Looking forward to it :ilikeit::ilikeit: Coffee and cheesecake, here I come (again :blush: )

PM me as soon as you have the dates!

Love

Ajay

• 9 months later...
Unfortunatly we are one of those that have to pay schools fees in NSW. We are on a 457 visa and school fees cost us $ 5000.00 per child per year.... We have however arranged with the NSW Department of Education to "pay it off" which means every 4 months we pay $2 250. We were not informed of this before we came out and was quite a shock as we did not budget for it.

Cheers

Blondie

Hi Blondie,

You don't perhaps still have the contact detils for arranging to "pay" the school fees "off"?

We plan on arriving on in Sydney on 457 end Des/January, but already applied for ENS as well.

I read that one gets the school fees pro-rata back if your VISA-status changes, but it would really help if we don't have to pay $9000 up-front, as this will really reduce our cash-flow.

Hope you can help.

Alet.

Just remember that (when you are in Aus on a temporary VISA such as the 457) that you must then temporarily leave the country to get your PR VISA in your passport. This is what we will be doing in 2 weeks. We are going to NZ. A "holiday" such as this (even to the nearer country NZ) cost at least $2500 for the tickets, at least $2000 for accommodation.....that is minimum $4500 in total ....and there goes the money you are getting back from the education department...

Edited by Swerwer