AUS STYLE CV/RESUME

Johan

More Mense,

Kan julle iemand aanbeveel wat vir my 'n "Aus style CV/Resume" kan opstel vir doeleindes van werk soek daar? Ek verstaan hulle doen dit op hulle manier en mens wil natuurlik jouself so goed 'n kans as moontlik gee deur daarby in te val.

Dankie

Die Aussies hou nie van die 12 bladsy tipe CV waaraan ons in RSA gewoond is nie - hou dit kort en tot die punt. Hier is 'n voorbeeld wat jy kan gebruik as riglyn:

Voorbeeld_van_CV.doc

More Riekie

Ek is ook nou besig met my man se CV, dankie vir die voorbeeld. Ek lees die forum baie en moet sê jy gee baie goeie raad en advies. Dankie vir jou. :D

Groete

sheila2Oz

Hi Johan and Sheil2Oz,

I have also found the Aussies like to see 'Achievements' on your CV. This seems to be required by the IT industry more than other industries. I'm sure Ajay can give input on this. Once you've listed your responsibilities, then list your achievements. There is also a resume guide on www.Seek.com.au

at this url http://www.seek.com.au/career-resources/ .

I agree with Riekie, you need to keep it short and sweet.

SAS

More Mense,

Kan julle iemand aanbeveel wat vir my 'n "Aus style CV/Resume" kan opstel vir doeleindes van werk soek daar? Ek verstaan hulle doen dit op hulle manier en mens wil natuurlik jouself so goed 'n kans as moontlik gee deur daarby in te val.

Dankie

Hi

Most Aus agents/employers are very critical wrt what they want to see in a resume! Another point worth mentioning is the actual job application. The job advert will clearly state the skill, knowledge and experience required. Writing an application for a position has certain Selection Criterias. Ensure that you state the situation, tasks at hand, action taken and results obtained for each situation when addressing your experience. This is so different from what we are used to in RSA. The following Aus book will be of great help for both writing a resume and a job application:

Write a Winning Job Application By Lloyd White

Can be ordered from:

http://lloydwhite.iinet.net.au/

Regards!!

Hi,

The Aus format tends to be more outcomes based, as opposed to simply a task list or a list of responsibilities, so try to highlight your results wherever possible, and how this impacted the business. Use the PAR system - Problem, Action, Result. Outline the Problem, explain the Action you took, and the Result that his had. The way I recommend is to have your main responsibilities in a bullet point format, and then to have an Achievements section, where you give at least 1 example of something you accomplished in each job.

Also, always include a coverting letter, referring to the advertisement that you are responding to. Relate your experience back to the skills and attritbutes that they have requested.

Finally - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check spelling and grammar carefully. It makes a terrible impression if you have these types of errors on your resume.

Hope this helps

Ajay

If I can add my 2 cents worth.....

When recruiters, HR managers or perspective employers receive resumes, you can imagine a pile of between 10 and 100 (depending on the role). They say the average person takes a couple of seconds to look or briefly review a resume. It is extremely important that your resume catches their eye and make them turn the page to read more about you and your skills......

A Couple of suggestions:

1. Create a header with your name, surname, contact number and email address
  2. On page one, write a paragraph or 2 about yourself (what work you are doing, briefly your experience)
  3. Then your work experience - Start from your current role and work your way backwards
    • List dates when you started and finished
    • List your position
    • List the Name of the company
    • Give a brief description of the company eg. size of the company, size of your team, (just so that the reader can have a n idea and try to relate it with an Australian company)

Then list your qualifications, studies and / courses

Then achievements and other information you feel are important and then a last page with more personal details ie. Where you live in SA, again contact details etc.

Hope this all makes sense - please feel free to PM me if you need me to look at your resume - I'll be glad to help

Shandell

Edited by Shandell