457 or ens121?

Hi!I'm confused & unsure of how to proceed at the moment (again!) my husbands tra came back unsuccessful :-( BUT we can apply for a fee free review (thank the LORD!) So,anyway,we have a company wanting to sponsor us,but we asked for ens121.pr straight away. Now we are concerned if tra final outcome is still unsuccesful we will be stuck. We wnt to ask them to do the 457 for us,then at least we're there. If the tra is successful we can then apply for ens856 pretty soon after arriving or else if not,just wait the 2 years. Our family in aus think we should only go for ens121 cause of the temp status of the 457 & the no medicare or tax benefits.I think,as long as we're THERE,& we can eventually get pr,i'll eat dry bread for 2 years if needs be. There are a few concrns for me: what if the whole ens process changes with the new setup & we cant apply?does the medical ins for 457 cover dr & hosp?my aunt says not. Any & all advice very welcome & appreciated! Thx chantal

Hi Chantal

It depends on you situation. How many kids do you have? Where are you planning to go (since in some states you have to pay school fees if on a temp visa and for preschool you don't receive any rebates)?

The medical also depends on your plan as you do get plan that cover both hospital and medical. Check medibank as a starting reference.

WRT changes in visa processing... nobody knows what will change, so that makes it more difficult. I suppose it depends on what industry you're in. For example, I'm in IT and I'm pretty confident that we won't be pushed off the new SOL. But that's just my opinion.

thanks for ur reply. we have 2 small kids (4&2) & we hardly ever go to the dr anyway! we would go to the gold coast ,i know there are no school fees in qld for 457's.my little boy would stay at home with me. i canot for the life of me find out if the changing of the SOL will also affect the ENSOL?? Anyone have a clue? My hubby is a butcher,so doesn't look like he'll be on the new list. But surely there'll be a way once we're there on 457 to become pr after a while? I just really dont want to have done all this work & hoped for a new life in aus & then have to give up. :-(

The medical insurance will cover hospital and doctors, at the same rate that Medicare does. Try www.iselect.com for comparisons between the different providers.

As fot the tax benefits, no you don't get family tax benefit, but you can get a living away from home allowance (LAFHA) on a 457 that can give you a tax break that is comparable to FTB. In fact when we were on it we had an extra $1000 a month.

We came first on a 457 and then changed to an ENS856 after a year, despite being retrenched it is doable so don't give up :-)

Candice

• 3 weeks later...

Do I understand this correct that 121 gives you PR while 457 is tmp and then you have to apply for PR?

Does anybody know what the differences are for the company that sponsors you regarding these 2 visas? Is there any costs/paperwork differences between the 2? Reading on immi website it's not clear to me. It almost seems that 121 is easier for the employer(less paperwork), so I feel I must be missing something.

Yep 121 is PR, 457 is temp residence where you are responsible for medical insurance (they wont issue your visa unless you have signed with a medical ins co.), pay school fees in NSW & ACT & are not eligible for centrelink benefits.

For us the problem is that TRA said we dont have enough evidence for a successful assesment, & we gave them all we have! For some 457 visa's, you dont need a trade assesment, just experiene, which we have in bucket-loads!

So for us 457 is the only way at the moment, once we are there, we can get assessed by an Australian Assessor to get the TRA assesment & hten do the 121 process.

I think the costs go like this :

ENS121

Abour $445 for the employer nomination

about $2525 for your app (think thats onshore, offshore maybe $1700 ?? Not sure anymore)

$335 for employer to be a sponsor (can sponsor more than 1 person over a certain period ---think its 3 yrs)

$70 for each persons nomination

$260 for your visa app

thats what i got from reading everything anyway -= I could be wrong! :unsure:

Archived