What electronics and appliances work?

Stuart and Jill

Hi all

I am sure this topic has come up in the past. I did a search of the forum but could find no definitive answer.

Will South African electrical appliances work in Australia? Things like DVD players, fridges, washing machines, the playstation ;) and my camera/video camera?

If there are exceptions please let me know what they are - it would be an awful shame to schlep [move] everything over to find out I have ended up with an abundance of very expensive paper-weights.

Hi all

I am sure this topic has come up in the past. I did a search of the forum but could find no definitive answer.

Will South African electrical appliances work in Australia? Things like DVD players, fridges, washing machines, the playstation ;) and my camera/video camera?

If there are exceptions please let me know what they are - it would be an awful shame to schlep [move] everything over to find out I have ended up with an abundance of very expensive paper-weights.

Hi There.

Our one South African TV which was fairly old didn't work in aus, but our newer TV which is about 4 years old works perfectly. Other appliances incl Playstation and DVD players worked fine. We couldn't find bags for our WAP vacuum cleaner.

Bring lots of SA/Australia plug adaptors and two-pin plug adaptors. You need them for those appliances that you can't change the plugs for because the transformer is built into the plugs e.g cell phone chargers, electric shaver chargers, electric screw-driver chargers etc. A good tip is to bring your SA multi-plugs with because then you only have to change one plug and you can leave the SA plugs on a lot of appliances.

Good Luck

Kevin

Hi There.

Our one South African TV which was fairly old didn't work in aus, but our newer TV which is about 4 years old works perfectly. Other appliances incl Playstation and DVD players worked fine. We couldn't find bags for our WAP vacuum cleaner.

Bring lots of SA/Australia plug adaptors and two-pin plug adaptors. You need them for those appliances that you can't change the plugs for because the transformer is built into the plugs e.g cell phone chargers, electric shaver chargers, electric screw-driver chargers etc. A good tip is to bring your SA multi-plugs with because then you only have to change one plug and you can leave the SA plugs on a lot of appliances.

Good Luck

Kevin

Thanks for the help Kevin.

It is quite a grim outlook for a lot of my "hi-tech" appliances so to speak - My camera, video camera, psp charger etc ... all have the transformer built into the plug. Will have to stock up on the multiplugs.

I had problems with my DVD player. It could not play the DVDs bought in Australia due to the region settings. I was unable to source the crack code for it and decided to rather buy a new system. Had I known, I would have given my old system to someone in SA.

I had problems with my DVD player. It could not play the DVDs bought in Australia due to the region settings. I was unable to source the crack code for it and decided to rather buy a new system. Had I known, I would have given my old system to someone in SA.

This begs another question. I have quite an extensive movie collection - am I going to be able to play disks I bought in SA? We have region-free DVD players here - are they easily available in Oz?

DVD players in Australia are normally set to Region 4. However, you can get the codes on the internet for the many of them. Unfortunately, I owned an AIM which is not listed and there are some unfamiliar brands here as well. If you stick to a familiar brand you should not have a problem.

We brought our RSA DVD's & DVD Player and have since bought DVD's & another DVD player in Oz. Now for the confusing part: Most of the RSA DVD's play on the Oz DVD player and most of the Oz DVD's play on the RSA DVD Player, however, some won't...... :D so we just watch those on the DVD player it works on. :) You can pick up a DVD player in Oz for $39, but if you don't bring your RSA DVD player you might not be able to watch all your RSA DVD's on your Oz player..... :ilikeit:

We brought our RSA DVD's & DVD Player and have since bought DVD's & another DVD player in Oz. Now for the confusing part: Most of the RSA DVD's play on the Oz DVD player and most of the Oz DVD's play on the RSA DVD Player, however, some won't...... :whome: so we just watch those on the DVD player it works on. :thumbdown: You can pick up a DVD player in Oz for $39, but if you don't bring your RSA DVD player you might not be able to watch all your RSA DVD's on your Oz player..... :(

Sounds like I should get a region-free player here and bring it over. I'll be so peeved if I can't watch any of my movies. I think this whole region idea is really idiotic - I just can't see the point.

Hi Folks

Can anyone tell/describe to me the shape of the actual wall socket. Will need to purchase one before I go on my LSD trip for my PC and camera.

thanks!

Tjaart

Can anyone tell/describe to me the shape of the actual wall socket. Will need to purchase one before I go on my LSD trip for my PC and camera.

Sounds like a call to action for all Australians with a digital camera :thumbdown:

I'd like to see a picture as well.

Edited by Stuart and Jill

Hi Tjaart

Hulle pugs is amper soos ons sin net die drie punte aan die onderkant is plat en nie rond nie, en die onderste twee is so bietjie skeef.

Maar jy kan hulle kry by meeste Lugage Shops as ek reg onthou en by duty free in SA, die bok se duidelik SA to Australia Converter.

Hoop dit help

P.S. MOET NIE DIE CHARGERS VERGEET NIE !!!!!! :thumbdown:

Cheers

Rudi

"Call to action" indeed... and what a response.

Thanks to you Riekie, Woodag & Rudi who provided details on the wall sockets !

Regards

Tjaart

Ek het n pioneer dvd recorder gekoop by Harvey Norman en dit speel al my Suid Afikaanse dvd s hier, geen probleem nie, die dvd spelers is redelik goedkoop hier, kan maar net so wel joune daar los in Suid Afrika en hier een koop wat al klaar ingestel is op hulle tv seine, maar al jy koop , hou jou oe toe moet nie die doller maal met vyf nie, dan klink dit baie in rand terme.

Ek het n pioneer dvd recorder gekoop by Harvey Norman en dit speel al my Suid Afikaanse dvd s hier, geen probleem nie, die dvd spelers is redelik goedkoop hier, kan maar net so wel joune daar los in Suid Afrika en hier een koop wat al klaar ingestel is op hulle tv seine, maar al jy koop , hou jou oe toe moet nie die doller maal met vyf nie, dan klink dit baie in rand terme.

Thanks Bosluis, it is never a good idea to try and do the currency conversion! We have a friend who recently went to the UK and has heart failure everytime she goes out to buy things like clothes.

Our one dvd player is due for replacement and if you can buy ones there that work with SA DVD's then I think I will hold off until we get there to replace it. The playstation can serve its dual purpose for now.