Eishhh! What to do!!

Cramer

I have been surfing and reading a lot to try find a way around the latest changes. Now I dont know whether I should re-apply for my skills assessment and go for the MODL and CSL and then it would be a breeze, the assessment expires in December anyway as it is only valid for 1 year, but that would take 12 weeks and it is no guarantee that the system is not going to change again. All indications are that it is going to change and the CSL will be scrapped, if thats the case then processing by 2012 it really just a ploy to throw people off. I know some of the agents have said that they to have heard that it will be scrapped and this link below indicates it to.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...-review/faq.htm

At the moment I dont know what to do until I see movement from DIAC.

Hi Cramer,

This is a difficult one. I'd almost suggest that you try to get MODL, if the cost is not too expensive, as it will probably take a while to implement the new changes to MODL, and you can change your visa before then. CSL might fall away, but at least you will have a visa that shows MODL - I think that even if the MODL list changes afterwards and your skill drops off, you are usually given the benefit of still being classified as MODL.

Good luck in whatever you decide and let us know. It is difficult chasing the changes, not knowing what will happen next! Will MODL even work the same way?! Anyone else have any advice?

Hi Cramer

I can't comment on your specific situation as I don't know anything about your background etc., but just to clarify the situation re MODL and the CSL, DIAC advised back in August or thereabouts that the CSL will be phased out as a result of the review of the MODL that is now underway.T he recommendations of the MODL Review are scheduled to be submitted to the Minister for Immigration in December.

The MODL review is considering three options, one of which is to set up a new future skills list, which will operate like the CSL. A second option under consideration is to establish a new future skills list which works like the MODL; and the third option is not to have a future skills list.

The states meanwhile are lobbying the federal govt furiously to have state sponsorship restored to its processing priority, as the 23 September changes to prioiritise CSL before state sponsorship took the states by surprise.

It's obviously not possible for anyone to predict what will happen early in 2010, but I do think it's reasonable to assume there will be some significant changes apparent around January/February. If the states are successful in their lobbying, there could well also be another change in the processing prioirity of state sponsored applications.

As a separate matter, the MODL is reviewed twice a year. The next review is due to be undertaken very soon. However, the fact that it's under review does not necessarily mean it will change. The current MODL was last updated in May 2008.

As you can see, the Australian migration space is in a very dynamic place at the moment!

I hope the above info helps to clarify the strategic imperatives you might wish to consider in your decision-making.

Best regards

Susan

The states meanwhile are lobbying the federal govt furiously to have state sponsorship restored to its processing priority, as the 23 September changes to prioiritise CSL before state sponsorship took the states by surprise.

Thanks Susan its good to hear, I have SS from ACT and the only reason I dont have MODL is because when I applied for Skills Assessment I did not need the extra points.

But I think despite the cost I am going to redo the skills anyway as it cant do me any harm and it is better than sitting around doing nothing.

Thanks Susan its good to hear, I have SS from ACT and the only reason I dont have MODL is because when I applied for Skills Assessment I did not need the extra points.

But I think despite the cost I am going to redo the skills anyway as it cant do me any harm and it is better than sitting around doing nothing.

Hi Cramer,

I am assuming that you have lodged a subclass 176 application.

Please note that if you wish to change your nominated occupation and submit a new skills assessment you will need to lodge a new visa application.

You cannot change your nominated occupation on a lodged application as this is a “time of lodgement†requirement.

Archived