Cost of Living Canberra

tracerr

Hi All

Ok it looks like we will get state sponsored for ACT, or atleast by the sounds of my agent(hold thumbs) I am in IT (Network Administrator) and have a very comfort living style in SA, I do not own a house in SA anymore, have got 2 luxury cars and a motorcycle, we have a very relaxed living style but I must say we both work, but things will change when we are in Australia as my wife want to be a stay at home Mom with my 2 year old Son, which I understand fully, and I support it.Which bring me to my question, seeing what type of living style I have at this stage what type of salary should I be looking at in the ACT state,and what do you guys think living costs will be, we will be looking for a normal 3 bedroom house, one vehicle for the wife and a motorcycle for myself(in future a vehicle for myself) We do not eat out a lot or do the take away route, my Wife loves cooking and baking.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks guys and girls :ilikeit:

We have been living here for 9 months now. We are a family of 4 - son 15 and daughter 14 who both attend state schools.

We rent a double storey townhouse in Pearce (south) with one carport for $1750 per month.

I do not work (yet) We both drive second hand vehicles (paid cash) a Getz and an Xtrail.

IMHO : the minimum we could live on would be about $4000 per month - that would be your food, petrol, sanity allowance etc. Just my 2c.

Thanks,that sounds not too bad at all... sanity allowance? lol

We have been living here for 9 months now. We are a family of 4 - son 15 and daughter 14 who both attend state schools.

We rent a double storey townhouse in Pearce (south) with one carport for $1750 per month.

I do not work (yet) We both drive second hand vehicles (paid cash) a Getz and an Xtrail.

IMHO : the minimum we could live on would be about $4000 per month - that would be your food, petrol, sanity allowance etc. Just my 2c.

Just a note. If you are going to Australia thinking that you will have the same type of "comfort living", it's gonna be a shock. Just be prepared to have a drop of "luxury" ie. chances are that you might not live in a mansion, you might not be able to drive a brand spanking new luxury sedan, you might not get a maid to do your cleaning. These are just some of the things that you need to keep in mind. I'm saying might, as I might just be a lowly senior software engineer, but I am prepared to rough it for a while. In Australia status means squat. They don't care what car you drive. A car is something that gets you from point a to point b. German cars are not big in Australia. I know I sound a bit pessimistic, but i'm just telling you like it is. If you don't believe me, you can ask anyone who is living in Australia, they would most probably tell you the same. Just remember, you have to adapt to them, not other way round, and you must be willing to start at the bottom. If you don't it's gonna be a problem and you won't stay 6 months there.

My 2c.

My opinion - do your homework thoroughly, costs of everything, but something else too - their culture, what they like, dislike etc, especially if you are thinking of starting a business

A colleague of mine told me last week that one of her neighbours emmigrated to Perth, failed completely, was utterly miserable and came back. I hear this a lot, so I asked her what the background was.

This man had a roaring business in Pretoria, he was the snr mechanic / owner of a business dealing with car-services for German motors. He was very rich and thought he would take this business to Perth.

If he had done his homework (my opinion) he would have realised, as Cyberdeth so eloquently put it, that the ozzies dont drive German motors, and his business wouldnt flourish there the way it did here.

In my 10 days there, I have not once seen a BMW or Merc

Thanks guys, nah Im not status driven at all, I do not mind not having a maid or gardener as I can work very well with my own two hand which God has granted me with, I am also well aware about the housing available in Aus and I am 100% willing to start at the bottom again, everything I have , I have worked for in my life and have never received anything for granted, I just want to come to Australia to give my Son a life he can have without the BEE problems in SA and the other problems which we currently have, I do understand the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but I am willing to take the risk

Thanks

We live in the North of Canberra (gungahlin region), this tends to be slightly more expensive then the south because most of the houses in the area are newish. We pay $500 a week for a four bed townhouse with a double garage. Try looking on www.allhomes.com.au for houses and prices.

We pay about $1500 a month for two cars (a viva holden stationwagen and a hyundai getz) both bought new. The installmenst includes fuel, insurance the car installments, rego and repairs and maintenance including tyres. We have bought them on a novated lease through our company and part of the installment is tax deductable.

Unless you are going to be driving a whole lot for work, you could also consider public transport as an alternative to getting a motor bike.

Candice

Archived