IELTS - Specimen Pack / Workshop

Anzel

Hi all,

Just want to know if anyone of you bought the packs for the IELTS? Is it worth it, or did you just do a 'Geronimo!' on the test?

Kind regards,

Anton

hi Anton

Didn't use a specimen pack, but my opinion is that the most difficult part is the essay writing. Since the last essay I've written by hand was probably ten years ago at varsity. I'm writing reports on a weekly basis but typing and physical writing is two different things. With typing you have spellcheck, delete, copy and paste etc. I think my essay looked like child scribblings as I had to correct the spelling and tenses mistakes (those i could pick up) afterwards.

The listening isn't that difficult, and the comprehension test had time constraints but wasn't that difficult either.

I don't think a specimen pack would have helped me very much - I found a few examples of questions on the IELTS website and that calmed my nerves regarding what kind of questions will be asked. But then again - I didn't get 9 for any of the three sections ... fortunately only 6 is required.

One word of advice - focus - apparently my attention span isn't that long and I started daydreaming a bit with the listening test. Had to improvise some answer there after I came back to reality.

Is it illegal to borrow / buy someone else's book? Because it costs a lot of money from what I recall.

Greetings

K

Hi Anton

My Hubby (Matthew) did the IELTS test in Oct. Because we'd heard so many stories about it, I tried to book him for the workshop, but it was cancelled because they didn't have enough candidates. They sent him the Specimen pack instead.

The pack is basically an example of what the real thing is like. He sat and did it without any interuptions from start to finish. That gives you a good idea of what is expected in the allocated time for each section.

When he went for the test there were plenty people who were there doing it for the second time. :ilikeit:

Matthew says that when he was sitting the exam, he felt a lot more calm and relaxed because he knew what to expect.

If for that reason and no other, it's a wise investment.

In the specimen pack they also give examples of what others have written and the score they attained for it. It also comes with a CD for the Listening part of it and also has some recordings of other candidates orals for you to have an idea of what that section is about.

Matthew did really well on the test with his lowest band score being 7.5 - he got 8 and 8.5 for all the others. Initially when I got the pack he was quite offended (you know how you males are! :censored: ) because he said as an English speaker he should be fine, but afterwards was really grateful and recommends it to anyone who still has to sit the exam.

Rather pay the bit extra for the pack than the entire fee should you not make it.

Hope this helps!. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Pam

I recommend you obtain a specimen pack if you are Afrikaans speaking and if you need to do the academic version. It will help settle your nerves and you know what to expect. Practice makes perfect. Obviously some people may find the test easier than others, so it is an individual choice. :ilikeit:

Hi,

I had my IELTS test yesterday so it's still fresh in my memory.

I brought the test pack 2nd hand from someone else and spent about three hours on Friday night going through the material. The test pack isn't something to be studied, it is merely a simulated exam.

In my opinion, if you have some grey matter upstairs and you can speak, read and write English reasonably well, than you will most probably pass (band score of 6+) without the material.

HOWEVER, I recomend that you nevertheless go through the material. It prepares you, in the sense that if you know what to expect you'll be in a much better position complete the exam without stress and in the required time constraints.

Regards

Willem

Durban

PS - Also, if you go through the speciman test you'll know what the pitfalls are to look out for in the actual exam.

Willem again

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are doing our IELTS tests in Feb.07. We would like to go through the specimen packs to be prepared. Is there anyone out there that would like to sell their packs?

Regards,

Hannes.

Hi Guys,

My husband and I did the IELTS in +/- May 2006. I was very keen to purchase the specimen pack - however my husband felt that it would be a waste of money. We did not purchase it and the IELTS was a walk in the park.

I do feel that as long as you have a good command of the English language (i.e. first language) you will be fine. For me personally, the oral was a bit daunting but I just took the approach that I had no clue who I was talking too and in all likelihood, would never see her again, so I just tried to relax and speak easily.

In a nutshell, if you are comfortable with the English language, forget the specimen pack.

Lee

Hello All

As promised some info on the different tests. I will first check if the info is copy protected before placing the tests on the site.

Hope it helps someone out there.

Please remember that you need to prepare for this, otherwise its another R1350

Louis

IELTS Intro

Listening

Intro

Reading

Intro

Writing

Intro

Speaking

Edited by DeKlerks

Hello All

I've checked the specimen pack, nothing on copy protection

Below please find the test examples as per the specimen pack. It contains the tests, answer sheet and answers:

Listening test

Test:

Transcript:

Remember if they spell something (surname-Bahlekazi) - write it down as quickly as possible. If it is spelled wrong it is wrong. I don't know if someone know where to load a 9Mb Mp3 transcript for downloading.

Reading

General test :

General answer sheet(scanned wrong above) :

Academic test :

Writing test

General: few examples

Academic : few examples:

Regards

Louis

Edited by DeKlerks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi;

I have the book but unsure how I can get it to you. We are just unsure which test to write as the General Skilled Migration book said me needed the General Test, but the IELTS book stated that we need the Academic test. What test will you be writing?

Remember if they spell something (surname-Bahlekazi) - write it down as quickly as possible. If it is spelled wrong it is wrong. I don't know if someone know where to load a 9Mb Mp3 transcript for downloading.

Thanks for all of this - wonderful!

You can use Pando http://www.pando.com/ to upload files. The way it works is you upload all the files (in this case the pdf's and the audio files) to the pando server. They provide you with a link which you can post here. Thereafter anyone who wants to download all the information uses pando and the link provided.