LSD Trip to Adelaide - which suburbs to visit for schools

NicciG

Hi All

I know it is a rather sensitive subject on the forum to discuss suburbs, but having done quite a bit of research (took me more than a couple of weeks), it seems as if the following areas are worth scoping out for when we go on our LSD trip to Adelaide from 24 August to 05 September 2009:

ABERFOYLE PARK, ALDGATE, ATHELSTONE, BLACKWOOD, BRIGHTON, BRIDGEWATER, BURNSIDE, CAMPBELLTOWN, COROMANDEL VALLEY, EDEN HILLS, FAIRVIEW PARK, FLAGSTAFF HILL, FULLARTON, GILLES PLAINS, GLEN OSMOND, GLENELG, GOLDEN GROVE, GREENWITH, GOOLWA, HAHNDORF, HALLETT COVE, HAPPY VALLEY, HAWTHORN, HIGHBURY, HILLCREST, HOLDEN HILL, HOPE VALLEY, HOUGHTON, LITTLEHAMPTON, MAWSON LAKES, MODBURY, MOUNT BARKER, NAIRNE, NORWOOD, O'HALLORAN HILL, PROSPECT, ROSSLYN PARK, ROSTREVOR, SEAFORD RISE, SEMAPHORE, ST PETERS, SOMERTON PARK, STIRLING, TRINITY GARDENS, TROTT PARK, UNLEY, WATTLE PARK, URRBRAE, WOODCROFT.

I was just wondering whether the Adelaide experts (Dax, Red, Desiree, MannyT, Blossom, Bob, etc) would please be so kind as to recommend any of the above areas in respect of good schools. I think I can recall the school in Woodcroft getting the thumbs up from Dax?

I've got the list of schools that Dax had published a link to, but I just wanted to know from personal experience or hearsay which schools are worthwhile visiting during our LSD trip.

Any advice in this regard will be sincerely appreciated.

Have a good one!

Nicci

Hey Nicci

Not an expert but also looked into schools in Adelaide - Burnside Primary was mentioned on the forum quite often a while back. Drove around looking at schools when we were there last year and often quite surprised by how small the catchment areas are for gov schools...

Hi

I suggest that you use Google maps to draw or print yourself a map of the Adelaide metro area and then plot / mark the areas that you are looking at. That mark the place that the main-money-maker will work, so to the place the other party / child carer will work.

Look on the Adelaide Metro website and Google maps for the bus routes and stops – helps heaps with travel. (Parking in the city and around is way high)

Then look at your budget to be and what you will be willing to fork out on rent. Use the rental websites and mark the places that you will be able to stay in.

Use the school websites and see that they say – will you & your chills like the school. Do they have a policy that you must stay in their area to attend to the school? (Some are funny in that respect.) Then ever state schools have a levy and though it is not a lot some are more that others (cheap don’t mean bad and so on).

Then setup a list of places to go see if you are here – you may have done something like this but your list given is all over the place and most to all are really nice places but the availability of schools, transport and affordable housing is not the same for the entire list.

There are a couple of places that is really far of (GOOLWA, HAHNDORF). And living in the south and schooling in the north and working in central Adelaide are not compatible.

Then:

BURNSIDE – area expensive and think school to and area bonded.

ATHELSTONE, CAMPBELLTOWN – nice not to expensive area. Athelstone primary is nice (my kid was there for 6 months before moving) Campbelltown Prim & Sec looks good but I don’t have first hand knowledge.

(Read the above – I don’t really know that to say about the areas / schools, they are all places where I wouldn’t mind living / schooling my kids.)

Hope it help

Jaco

Nicci

All the schools in the areas that you mentioned are pretty OK.

However, Goolwa is quite far from the City, (About a hour and a half's drive) and I’m not too sure about the schools there.

Near Happy Vally/O Hallaran Hill there is also Breaview Primary School, that is alsoa very good school.

Hope this helped

Dax

Thank you very much Numbawan, Jaco and Dax for your valued feedback. Now I know to cross off Goolwa and Hahndorf as they are a bit far.

Dankie Jaco, ek sal beslis jou advies volg oor Google.

Hope to meet all of you once settled in Adelaide!

Have a good one

Nicci

Hi All

I know it is a rather sensitive subject on the forum to discuss suburbs, but having done quite a bit of research (took me more than a couple of weeks), it seems as if the following areas are worth scoping out for when we go on our LSD trip to Adelaide from 24 August to 05 September 2009:

ABERFOYLE PARK, ALDGATE, ATHELSTONE, BLACKWOOD, BRIGHTON, BRIDGEWATER, BURNSIDE, CAMPBELLTOWN, COROMANDEL VALLEY, EDEN HILLS, FAIRVIEW PARK, FLAGSTAFF HILL, FULLARTON, GILLES PLAINS, GLEN OSMOND, GLENELG, GOLDEN GROVE, GREENWITH, GOOLWA, HAHNDORF, HALLETT COVE, HAPPY VALLEY, HAWTHORN, HIGHBURY, HILLCREST, HOLDEN HILL, HOPE VALLEY, HOUGHTON, LITTLEHAMPTON, MAWSON LAKES, MODBURY, MOUNT BARKER, NAIRNE, NORWOOD, O'HALLORAN HILL, PROSPECT, ROSSLYN PARK, ROSTREVOR, SEAFORD RISE, SEMAPHORE, ST PETERS, SOMERTON PARK, STIRLING, TRINITY GARDENS, TROTT PARK, UNLEY, WATTLE PARK, URRBRAE, WOODCROFT.

I was just wondering whether the Adelaide experts (Dax, Red, Desiree, MannyT, Blossom, Bob, etc) would please be so kind as to recommend any of the above areas in respect of good schools. I think I can recall the school in Woodcroft getting the thumbs up from Dax?

I've got the list of schools that Dax had published a link to, but I just wanted to know from personal experience or hearsay which schools are worthwhile visiting during our LSD trip.

Any advice in this regard will be sincerely appreciated.

Have a good one!

Nicci

Hi Nicci

My comments subject to what individual families can afford.

Adelaide Hills: Aberfoyle Park, Aldgate, Stirling, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Coromandel Valley, Eden Hills, Flagstaff Hill, Hahndorf, Littlehamton, Mount Barker, Nairne, Houghton are all in the Adelaide Hills - East, North East and South East of the CBD. All nice suburbs to live in, my favourites are Aldgate and Stirling, but properties are quite expense in Stirling and Aldgate. Primary shool in Stirling is good.

North and North Eastern suburbs: Athelstone, Campbelltown, Fairview Park, Highbury, Mawson Lakes, Golden Grove, prospect, Rostrevor, Semaphore (north coat) all nice suburbs.

Adelaide and surrounds: Burnside, Fullerton, Glen Osmond, Hawthorn, Norwood, Rosslyn Park, St Peters, Unley, Wattle Park, Wattle Park, Urrbrae are all located in the more "exclusive"/expense Eastern suburbs, with Trinity Gardens more to the North East of the CBD.

Southern Suburbs and coastal areas: Glenelg, Somerton Park, Brighton, Halett Cove, Seaford Rise are all nice "coastal" suburbs, varying distances from the CBD. Trott Park and Woodcroft are newer suburbs in the South. Goolwa is about 100 kms away at Encounter Bay.

Although I am sure that there are many very happy people living in these suburbs, they would not make my recommended list:Gilles Plains, Greenwith, Hillcrest, Holden Hill, Modbury, Hope Valley.

The better public schools would generally be found in the "better" suburbs. Your "choice" of suburbs is pretty good, considering that your research has been done from a distance.

Enjoy!

Manny

Adelaide Hills: Aberfoyle Park, Aldgate, Stirling, Blackwood, Bridgewater, Coromandel Valley, Eden Hills, Flagstaff Hill, Hahndorf, Littlehamton, Mount Barker, Nairne, Houghton are all in the Adelaide Hills - East, North East and South East of the CBD. All nice suburbs to live in, my favourites are Aldgate and Stirling, but properties are quite expense in Stirling and Aldgate. Primary shool in Stirling is good.

North and North Eastern suburbs: Athelstone, Campbelltown, Fairview Park, Highbury, Mawson Lakes, Golden Grove, prospect, Rostrevor, Semaphore (north coat) all nice suburbs.

Adelaide and surrounds: Burnside, Fullerton, Glen Osmond, Hawthorn, Norwood, Rosslyn Park, St Peters, Unley, Wattle Park, Wattle Park, Urrbrae are all located in the more "exclusive"/expense Eastern suburbs, with Trinity Gardens more to the North East of the CBD.

Southern Suburbs and coastal areas: Glenelg, Somerton Park, Brighton, Halett Cove, Seaford Rise are all nice "coastal" suburbs, varying distances from the CBD. Trott Park and Woodcroft are newer suburbs in the South. Goolwa is about 100 kms away at Encounter Bay.

Although I am sure that there are many very happy people living in these suburbs, they would not make my recommended list:Gilles Plains, Greenwith, Hillcrest, Holden Hill, Modbury, Hope Valley.

Wow Manny! Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Your info will help me a great deal. Thanks for all your trouble.

Have a great weekend!

Nicci

Hi All

, SEAFORD RISE,

Nicci

Hi Nicci

My boys are in school in Seaford rise, the youngest is in Seaford rise primary, you can check out the website. the school was so helpful whilst I was still in SA , my kids were enrolled into school from SA side and they kept in contact with me keeping them a place for when we arrived.

Good school , reasonable fees lovely area.

The oldest is in Seaford 6-12 which is the high school in Seaford Rise, they also have a lot to offer the kids, my son(12) has learnt cooking and dancing and has come out of his shell. They also have camps for the kids and my boys just love school.

Hope you find something.

Regards

Desiree

Thanks Desiree - I will definitely add Seaford Rise to our must-visit list for end-August. Will also establish contact with the school in the meantime.

Have a good weekend!

Nicci

Thanks Desiree - I will definitely add Seaford Rise to our must-visit list for end-August. Will also establish contact with the school in the meantime.

Have a good weekend!

Nicci

Pleasure Nicci

Let me know when you in the area and we can do coffee or something.

See ya

Desiree