many questions

Spider

ok so i am hoping that everything will be in and decision made in next 2 months or less for our 475 to adelaide....we will sell everything and start over when there as we dont have tons here - or should we determine cost to share container to take what we can? but that would mean having a place to move to?

we are starting to stress big time about finding work when there, and our baby is now 8 weeks old, so will be a mission at the beginning...any suggestions on what to do to make it easier in terms of landing in adelaide - from accommodation onwards...

also what worries me, is when we apply for PR visa what if the work we end up doing in adelaide is not what we qualified to do, example i do reception but i do management consultant, would the staying and working in regional area compensate point wise? if anyone is in this position please let me know how your application went esp relating to work experience piece changing once there...

i am SO SO scared now, we have a baby to fend for as well so we cant exactly take our time getting settled in terms of finding work and so on, and of course we want to start meeting people asap as well to form new network of friends and stuff.....

its taken us 3 years to get this far lol.....

Hi Chandi

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for your questions, but just wanted to say hang in there and take every day one step at a time.

Wishing you all the best and hope someone has some answers for you so you can feel more at ease!

anyone?

Hi Chandi

When you were told to work for 12 months out of the 2 years, you do not have to remain in the same trade or qualification you were sponsored for.

In other words you can drive trucks or become a cleaner as long as you can show DIAC that you have made a contribution to Australia for

12 months in total.

Hope this helps.

We are in the same position working to fulfill our visa.

Regards

Desiree

awesome thanks thats exactly the answer i needed in that respect...now its all the other questions but i guess for me that was key!

Hey Chandi.

One step at a time, don't stress with all the other stuff until you have your VISA. Breathe....Enjoy gangsters paradise while you waiting.

We are just waiting for the VISA and then we'll start making all those big decisions, so many people jump the gun and end up landing in the @#$%!!!

Regards

Mathewg

LOL true

Hi Chandi

The South Australian state government has an On Arrival Accommodation program, in which eligible migrants can rent a place at a reasonable rate, for a maximum of 12 weeks - see here for more info. This will give you time to find more permanent accommodation - which you can look for on www.realestate.com.au

There are various opinions and financial theories available on this forum about whether or not to ship your stuff in a container - the most recent being this one.

At the end of the day it'll depend on your own circumstances.

Best of luck

Regards,

Scott

You mentioned bringing a container or starting from scratch here.

It is a decision that you have to take yourselves, but a general rule of thumb would be:

* How valuable are my belongings? Is it stuff that could be easily replaced, i.e. general stuff i.r.o. lounge suites, dinner tables TV's etc.?

* If you have really expensive stuff (such as a Stinkwood dining room set) then you would probably want to bring it over, or store it with friends/family until you can bring it over.

* But, if the value of you belongings, in Aus Dollars, would be less than the cost of a container, it might make better sense to save on container costs, sell your stuff over there and start from scratch over here.

(This is what we've done and as for big things like fridges, TV's etc. we never had any regrets. In retrospect however, we may have made more use of our extra luggage allowance -we flew Quantas- to bring stuff like duvet covers, table cloths and even some lace curtains, etc. that can be a bit expensive here.)

Once you are here find rental accommodation near where you and hubby will find work. It might be an option to make use if the Govt's new arrival accommodation scheme and live in such accommodation before you have found your bearings i.r.o. affordable accommodation as close as possible to where you may find work.

Also read Red's first-class thread under Journals - New beginnings, she offers a myriad of sound advice and ideas for new arrivals in Adelaide.

Hope this helped a bit

Dax

thanks!