Take a Container??

Karen-in-Brisbane

Hello all

I know this has been discussed cos I read it when i firts started out on this journey. I recall reading that it is bets to take a container cos sthings are so expensive in Oz. I also heard this weekend that it is more cost effective to start again from scratch and save the costs of a container.....

Can I have feedback???

Thanks

K

The cost of outfitting our place new in Aus worked out cheaper than the container quotes we received!

To put it in perspective - we were quoted container costs (all inclusive - be careful with the quotes - there are a lot of hidden costs) R120 000. (Note though - we received a high quote - I know of other people who did way better than this!)

We brought an entire new household for less than that in Aus. Oh, and we didn't skimp - we brought a modern (contemporary) leather lounge suite, stainless steel appliances, a piano, computers, robotic vacume etc etc etc.

In our case, it was the right thing to do. Our stuff in SA was your regular Boardmans-type furniture. If you have that quality beautiful old-fashioned solid mahogany or teak stuff, then, a container is the way to go. "Real" stuff is difficult to replace in any country and costs lotsa moola to do so too! We had no such furniture - our stuff was your run-of-the-mill, mass produced nicely covered package casing! :lol:

We now own similar-type furniture (well - OK it is nicer than Boardmans), and I am happy that price -wise it worked out to our advantage (vs the container). Everything is new, and for the first time (and probably last time), I was able to go on a one week spending spree outfitting our place!!! :whome::whome::ilikeit: Everything fits/hangs together - there are no awkward pieces that are not quite the right shade etc because we brought everything at the same time at the same place - yayness!

Our furniture, linen, towels, bathroom stuff, crockery, cutlery, mattresses, bin etc (basically everything bar the appliances) was all from Ikea - I can completely recommend Ikea - their furniture is affordable - although they do have different ranges. There is a definite low, medium and high range at Ikea - we brought 99% of everything in the high-range (to give an idea of costs involved). Our appliances, flat-screen etc came from Harvey Norman. Admittedly, it is not the cheapest store, but they are very open to giving a good discount - but you MUST ask for it, it won't be offered! Our computer-wares we brought from Office works.

Oh, and we brought our bikes from a bike shop (also part of the less than R120 000 container cost).

To conclude - if you have great quality stuff - take a container. If your stuff is just normal run-of-the-mill stuff, rather buy new over here.

Oh, and don't forget to take the memorabilia factor into account. Lots of people here have commented that they felt conforted having their own stuff with them over here (not so in our case - we relished in the idea of starting anew). Also, another thing to note - Aussie houses are generally smaller than SA houses. Bulky furniture doesn't fit too well over here.

Good luck with the decision! :ilikeit:

Edited by Gizmo

Hi

We came over last year May without a container. We flew over 16 boxes with our most personal, and a little bit of clothes and kitchen stuff wich cost us R9600.00. We used 80% of our money once we arrived just to replace the basics like beds, fridge , washing machine and so on. If I had the change to do it over I would bring over a container and replace what needs to be replaced (except for the white goods) in SA. We were also told that it is cheaper to replace here and believe me it's not.

Feel free to PM me if you need more information

Regards

Petro

Hi

We came over last year May without a container. We flew over 16 boxes with our most personal, and a little bit of clothes and kitchen stuff wich cost us R9600.00. We used 80% of our money once we arrived just to replace the basics like beds, fridge , washing machine and so on. If I had the change to do it over I would bring over a container and replace what needs to be replaced (except for the white goods) in SA. We were also told that it is cheaper to replace here and believe me it's not.

Feel free to PM me if you need more information

Regards

Petro

Our total household cost - that means furniture, appliances, mattresses, linen, towels, cutlery, crockery etc etc right down to the laundry basket and bathroom mat - basically everything you need if you have an empty house (excepting clothes which came with us in our suitecases, food, toiletaries and detergents) cost us R97 000.

We didn't skimp either - for example, we brought a large LCD tv, mielle vaccume and also a roomba (robotic) vaccume, a piano etc.

Personally, I would either bring what you have (if it is quality stuff or memorabilia), or buy new in Aus. I would not buy new in SA, then put it in a container and bring it across. Even if you get away with it at customs, the cost of the stuff plus the container would be way, way more than buying new in Aus.

Edited by Gizmo

Who quoted you R120 000?????? Was it for a 20 foot container or 40 foot? Even 40 foot is ridiculous!! I got quoted now for Cape Town to Canberra (which is much futher than Perth) R55 000,00.....Did you get more than one quote? Anyway - I still think taking your own things is much better. It depends on how important your current things are to you I suppose....But if you have little kids I think its better taking most of the things they are used to - and I can't see shopping for all new things with you ones will be any fun! It all depends on how valueble your current things are to you I think.... My 2c...

To conclude - if you have great quality stuff - take a container. If your stuff is just normal run-of-the-mill stuff, rather buy new over here.

I am with Gizmo here 100%.

Also, I LOVED the shopping spree!

Note: A lot of people seem to settle better with all their wordly possesions K, so you might want to consider the emotional attachment to your goods... not just the cost.

Good luck

Xxx

PS - Haven't forgotten budget, just adding a couple of things!

This is a big toss-up between money and sentiment.

If you have “old, real things†(solid wood or leather or things handed down) then you can’t replace them and you should bring it.

But if you have “cheap, stick together stuff†AND you are a young family with really little then starting over here could be the way.

BUT you must do your home work and “Google†the cost both ways, your likes and dislikes may drop you in hot water if you want to buy new here.

For a family with “everything†set in there ways it may be better to bring. You will have your “own, old familiar home†in a new unfamiliar place. This goes not just for the teddy but your own bed.

DON’T forget the small stuff like garden tools and hubbies tool box or mums graft stuff, they may seen not important but become a big “eina†if you don’t want have them (to stay sane) and must replace, especially if not counted in the costs.

Things here are not really cheaper than in South A, it is only more affordable. (Read – earning Aus dollars – not the suitcase of rands)

Hi guys,

From my experience (which ended up in months waiting) I’d rather suggest getting rid of the bulks of your belongings in SA. And just ship over those little things that you’re not willing to let go of.

After waiting several months for my content, I had to start buying new things in any case… You got to start living sometime… And after paying mega bucks to get a container and then having to buy the items again just didn’t make sense. Ended up having doubles of most items now!

I have suggested to friends to rather get everything here than having to pay for a container, wait for your stuff and then calculate cost of living whilst waiting on your container. Just keep in mind the R vs the $, and don't think that you'll be able to set up house for peanuts. :-)

Cheers

I know this has been discussed cos I read it when i firts started out on this journey. I recall reading that it is bets to take a container cos sthings are so expensive in Oz. I also heard this weekend that it is more cost effective to start again from scratch and save the costs of a container.....

Can I have feedback???

As you will have seen from the replies posted so far, this really depends on your own situation.

For what it's worth, here's our story: we shipped most of our stuff in a container. Firstly, the container (a 20ft, with a 10% overflow into a shared container, which took a month longer to arrive) cost us R51,000 all inclusive. That's around AU$7,500 - there's no way we could furnish our new Adelaide house for that money, and we have all the cups, plates, knives, forks, towels, appliances that we had in Cape Town.

Secondly, we have collected many good quality oak pieces over the years, and several pictures (sentimental), which we didn't want to part with. Having them in our new home has definitely helped us to feel more "at home".

When we moved into our new house, having everything available meant that we didn't really have to "rough it" at any stage.

We bought a few new things before we left Cape Town - some lounge chairs, a new mattress and an appliance. We declared this to customs here in Australia, and weren't charged any duty.

Furniture is expensive here if you are paying from your ZAR. And the quality isn't always the greatest either. And you will spend a lot of time shopping.

Things we left behind were vacuum cleaner, lawnmover, weedeater and blower-vac - too much effort to clean for customs, and our TVs - much better to get the new digital TV's here.

Good luck.

Regards,

Scott

We brought a container, R97 000.00 for a 40 foot container and we brought our hoby cat (sailing boat) and rubber duck (boat) with us as well as the usual household goods. In my opinion you can't put a price on having your familiar things around you. And if you work out the cost of replacing every little thing, from each knife, fork and spoon, dishes to cooler boxes, linen, picture frames, tools, all that stuff! I don't believe you can replace here for the cost of bringing. And I don't think the quality is as good here.

If you are a young couple who haven't aquired much, then maybe it works for you, when you have years and years worth of accumulated stuff my suggestion is BRING IT!

And as I have said before, you can't buy the 'sentimental value'!!

Give Don at Cargopak a called K, you won't go wrong!

K, I took all my sentimental and favorite bits and pieces. And two pieces of wooden furniture - I wish I had bought more of my wooden stuff - the quality just seems different here.

I used a 20ft - cost about R19 000 at the time.

We bought all beds, electrics, fridge, washing machines, etc lounge suits, dining room table this side.

Just my 2c, but I think you should consider bringing your prized irreplaceable goodies with for a few thousand rand. It makes me feel a little more "comfortable" seeing my familiar stuff.

Good luck with your decision.

WOW! The advice has been fantastic everyone. Thanks so much!!!!

Hello everyone

when you refer to shipping a few boxes - who did you use and how many things can you pack into a box ? I have the same problem - do I start replacing old stuff here or do I buy there but still have some things that I'd like to take. The clothes the teddies the artwork etc

What to do? What to do??

Can you give details of people you used and how you found them??

K

Hi Eva, do you maybe have a link to their website? I would like to have a look and get some prices, but I cant manage to find the website. Maybe my hardrive that is freexing in this cold.LOL.

Thanks

Hello all

Can I have feedback???

Thanks

K

Hi

i came over with everything and I am glad I did.

in my opinion it is very expensive to replace good furniture etc.

however different people have different ideas.I did not have to buy anything in 3 years-although I did not bring any vehicles.if you need more info let me know.i would suggest that you do bring stuff-just depends on your particular situation

bye

Hi Eva, do you maybe have a link to their website? I would like to have a look and get some prices, but I cant manage to find the website. Maybe my hardrive that is freexing in this cold.LOL.

Thanks

Their emai is cargopak@iafrica.com

They are Durban based but after packing us up their next job was Pretoria, so obviously get around.

They are a small owner operated company, with Don the owner there most of the time and physically packing and supervising himself.

Also the most pleasant man who was most obliging and calm throughout it all.

And it can get pretty frantic. We got our visa and amost one month later to the day our container was packed so we were not too organised, he made it all so easy.

I honestly can't recommend him highly enough.

Can you give details of people you used and how you found them??

K

We heard good things about U-bag (unaccompanied luggage). That was our plan - we left 6 boxes of things in SA - 2 boxes of our three-year olds toys, 2 boxes of books and two boxes of skiing and sporting stuff. The idea was to get it sent over once we had found a rental on this side... well, we have been in our rental for over 6 months now and still haven't gotten around to organizing our stuff to be sent up to us!!! :thumbdown::lol:

I guess this just goes to show that we are the type of people who suit "starting afresh" well. :lol:

If you have good quality furniture and other items then bring them with. Get a 20ft container. Good quality wooden and leather furniture in Aus is expensive.

Edited by AandJ

We brought a 40 foot container over cost around R 100 000.00. We bought new lounge suite,dining suite,linen. small appliances and washer & dryer new in SA and packed that in. You cannot replace the furnishings and fittings for that price in Aussie.

So, if your furniture is not worth bringing try and buy a replacement in SA and ship to OZ.

Remember each tool and each piece of cutlery has a price tag on here.

Hope this helps.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=23429

This is the link to the Q i asked, after the replies pretty much decided that it's a personal choice and entirely up to you.

Do agree though that if you have furniture of value, then take it.

In our case we decided against it - our stuff needs replacing anyway.

Good luck

We bought our stuff but the cost was much lower than numbers I see quoted here. For us (especially the 2 females in the family) when the familiar goods arrived they were elated.

I have a some antique furniture that was my great grandfathers who brought it from England after he survived the boer war he was sent to fight in.

FRIDGE Dont bring unless it is CFC free.

TV. Australia will be digital only after 2011. For a while normal will work but Only if they have a menu button that allows them to switch from PAL I to PAL B/G on the remote. You can buy a digital settop box if you really must have it here

LAWNMOWER etc. Get all pressure cleaned to remove all seeds etc. Have a reciept.

Rememeb that a container will be exposed to temperatures of zero to 40 deg in hte sun. Protect all wooden furniture that is drying.

The other issue is you must wait a month or 3 for the stuff to get to your new house, so you will need to camp or rent furnished for a while. Ours was shipped in Oct but arrived in Mackay mid Jan

Hello all

Can I have feedback???

Thanks

K

We have been in Oz just over a year now. I am still missing my "stuff". If I could give advise to anyone......bring all your things over. It is a lot cheaper to bring your stuff over than to buy new stuff here. Then once you start earning dollars, you can gradually replace your furniture.

Elizabeth from Kalgoorlie Western Australia