Cost of living

IamInACT

Hi....

One of the issues I need to solve is trying work out ... when I get to Auz what my cost of living would be like so that I can undersand how a job offer would support me and my wife and 2 kids .... I would prefer if my wife did not have to work.

We live comfortably now and are "never short" at the end of the month... one of my BIGGEST fears that i will not be able to provide for my family like I do no now ... I know that It won't be the same but the last thing I want to do is to put my family at financial risk when we move EVERTHING over the ocean!

your support is really appriciated!!

VEry helpfuly but does not cover everything: http://www.grocerychoice.gov.au/

Edited by WannabeACT

It differs a lot from city to city and also whether you are staying in a small town or a major city. There are a lot of shopping websites that you can check prices on. Try the real estate sites to get an idea of rental prices ( http://www.domain.com.au , http://www.realestateview.com.au , http://www.realestate.com.au)

Edited by polly

wannabact, yes the cost of living is a bit higher than in SA, but the quality of life more than makes up for it. The AUD goes way further than the ZAR.

WannabeACT, this is just my 2c. Everyone "spends" differently and I have heard from a friend who has lived in the ACT for many years that the ACT is not a cheap place to live. I personally do not know if this is true or not as I havent been anywhere else.

We are renting a three bedroom townhouse at the mo and will be for a few more months, I do not work, have two teens at state school, bought two cars for cash. I would suggest looking in the region of at least $90 000 to $100 000 including supers per annum to live an ok life. This money will not have you going on lavish holidays, but enjoying a fairly good lifestyle with careful budgeting. An ok house in the ACT will knock you back $500 000 - $600 000 - and these are nothing to write home about !!! The Kloof type homes we chatted about $1,500 000. Cost of housing is shocking !

Wannabeact,

Something else to keep in mind.

The "other" costs that we pay in SA and not in Aus also need to be considered.

Security company, armed response, very inflated house and car insurance, etc.

From the calculations I did, to live in Brisbane, would cost exactly the same as living in Edenvale JHB, give or take R500-00. per month.

Electicity, water, insurance, car premiums, etc are way cheaper in aus.

Public transport that you can rely on and it works is very cost effective.

When we went over in September if you bought something there for a Aud then you pretty much paid between R6 and R7 for it here from chocolates to fridges to computers.

Fast food, booze and eating out are more expensive.

DBR.

Mr Handyman.

Hi....

One of the issues I need to solve is trying work out ... when I get to Auz what my cost of living would be like so that I can undersand how a job offer would support me and my wife and 2 kids .... I would prefer if my wife did not have to work.

We live comfortably now and are "never short" at the end of the month... one of my BIGGEST fears that i will not be able to provide for my family like I do no now ... I know that It won't be the same but the last thing I want to do is to put my family at financial risk when we move EVERTHING over the ocean!

your support is really appriciated!!

VEry helpfuly but does not cover everything: http://www.grocerychoice.gov.au/

Hi wannabe

Its quite tough for the initial year or two.Until you get well settled.I live in Perth and the cost of living is quite high .If one person is working its tougher.depends on the age of your kids as well as child care is expensive-you must take this into account.If you have PR it should make it easier.

Be prepared for a tight budget-there are lots of costs that u would incur-rather plan for a higher cost of living then to be disappointed afterwards.I found that I could afford a much more "affluent"lifestyle back in SA.However you cant have it all!

Cheers

I agree Sugan - our lifestyles were definately alot more "affluent" in SA as well. If we wanted to buy something it wasnt discussed to such lengths as we discuss it over here. But the quality of life is definately much more enjoyable here - even tho financially alot poorer.

But I have read that some people - perhaps the younger ones - find they are better off financially.

This is a tough one and I understand it causes you great stress, but on the salary I mentioned with budgeting in place - you will not starve - promise !!

I feel that to live comfortably with your wife not working you need to be able to come home after tax with $1500 a week. Some may say this is high but things add up and rentals font come cheap anymore. Food has also gone up since we arrived in the beginning of the year.

$1500 a week? That is a fortune! We are a family of 5, I stay home with the kids and our boys eat us out of the house. My husband comes home with a lot less than that. Maybe Melbourne is a cheaper city to live in?

I have done a lot of research...we don't live the high life in South Africa AT ALL!! We actually don't earn enough to cover our expenses per month or we just break even - and believe me it's NOTHING spectacular. Just the basics. The only VERY expensive think for us is the kids' crech fees - so at least that's the same as Australia!! I have worked out that if we have the same lifestyle in Australia (ok, just one car though - but brand new. Driving two older cars now...) we would need $725 per week...that's $2900 per month and $34 800 per year. Now that is a very low salary especially in Canberra, so I'm thinking we will be MUCH better off there (financially) than here....Don't know if I made a HUGE mistake somewhere, but I've been over our budget a lot of times....This is now obviously rock bottom....So we should be fine....If we earn 90 000,00 - 100 000 per year I will have an absolute BALL of a time!!! Or $1500 per week!!! But everyone's scenario is different....Only time will tell...

hi billabong, don't have your hopes set on 90 - 100k a year, the average salary, off course depending on city/district, is about 65 - 80k, which is still very good.

No, I'm not set on that at all - Anything over $35 000,00 would be a bonus (for a start...)! That's all I tried to say. O, and the other thing I forgot to mention is that we both work here....I won't have to work there.... :thumbdown: BUT, you never know what's going to happen....If I have to then I'll have to...

Edited by billabong

I have done a lot of research...we don't live the high life in South Africa AT ALL!! We actually don't earn enough to cover our expenses per month or we just break even - and believe me it's NOTHING spectacular. Just the basics. The only VERY expensive think for us is the kids' crech fees - so at least that's the same as Australia!! I have worked out that if we have the same lifestyle in Australia (ok, just one car though - but brand new. Driving two older cars now...) we would need $725 per week...that's $2900 per month and $34 800 per year. Now that is a very low salary especially in Canberra, so I'm thinking we will be MUCH better off there (financially) than here....Don't know if I made a HUGE mistake somewhere, but I've been over our budget a lot of times....This is now obviously rock bottom....So we should be fine....If we earn 90 000,00 - 100 000 per year I will have an absolute BALL of a time!!! Or $1500 per week!!! But everyone's scenario is different....Only time will tell...

I am not sure if one can compare SA creche fees to Aus creche fees?

In my experience, our daughters creched cost us R1000 per month in SA. Here, it costs $75 per day!!! With the tax benefits etc we get back about 1/3 of this.

If you and your wifes joint salary is below $100 000 per year, you will get back more - I think about 1/2 to 2/3? (not sure about this one though).

Daycare here is shockingly expensive. Yes, there are cheaper options (the government creches), but those have huge waiting lists. When we arrived, I contacted every single creche within a 15km radius of Perth city. The government ones all had 6 month to 2 year waiting lists. We only found two creches which had a 5 day per week full-time opening.

The one cost $95 per day (it was awful - it really looked like a dive - I was totally shocked to be honest - but it is not the norm here - the creches here are really nice). The other (the nicer of the two was $75 per day). Those were our choices. We have been here six months now, so theoretically, our daughter could be in one of the cheaper government creches by now, but, considering how difficult the move was for her, we decided to leave her where she is as she has only finally settled in there now.

Edited by Gizmo

I pay R2500 per month per child for creche - I have two children - so R5000 per month is creche fees only! BUT, it's a very good creche.... Then we haven't done any extra things - that's all extra! This is just for the creche.....

My 2c -

$1 000,00 per week and you'll be ok.

Less - eish !!!!

$1 500,00 per week - no worries !!!!

I agree with Lyn and Candi - $1000 to $1500 (net earnings) per week will allow you to live in a very average house and be able to afford to eat well with not too much penny pinching. We are a family of 5 (boys aged 12, 12 and 8). I do not work. We bought two cars for cash so that excludes any car repayments. That sort of money pays rent on a 4x2 house in a very pleasant neighbourhood 20kms from Brisband CBD, state schooling, food and booze, petrol, phone, electricity (more expensive than what I paid in SA), private medical aid, life insurance, car insurance etc. It includes the odd take away but does not include eating out at restaurants (which we did regularly in SA) or movies. We go out most weekends but take a picnic lunch with us for the day. We camp with friends every few months as holiday accommodation is unaffordable for us.

So yes, that sort of money sounds like a fortune but it buys a very average (good, contented) lifestyle.

This is my experience anyway.

Lisa

I agree with Lyn and Candi - $1000 to $1500 (net earnings) per week will allow you to live in a very average house and be able to afford to eat well with not too much penny pinching. We are a family of 5 (boys aged 12, 12 and 8). I do not work. We bought two cars for cash so that excludes any car repayments. That sort of money pays rent on a 4x2 house in a very pleasant neighbourhood 20kms from Brisband CBD, state schooling, food and booze, petrol, phone, electricity (more expensive than what I paid in SA), private medical aid, life insurance, car insurance etc. It includes the odd take away but does not include eating out at restaurants (which we did regularly in SA) or movies. We go out most weekends but take a picnic lunch with us for the day. We camp with friends every few months as holiday accommodation is unaffordable for us.

So yes, that sort of money sounds like a fortune but it buys a very average (good, contented) lifestyle.

This is my experience anyway.

Lisa

There is only my husband and I living off one salary but I know we couldnt afford kids unless we earned a lot more a week. The thing is we are on a 457 and also pay private medical, granted its only $40 a week so you cant really count that. Food is about $200 a week, rent is $450 a week, then we pay a car off at $150 a week, water, gas, lights, all the small things you think if add up, oh and we pay about $180 in mobiles a month, that includes our home internet connection.

I am not sure if one can compare SA creche fees to Aus creche fees?

In my experience, our daughters creched cost us R1000 per month in SA. Here, it costs $75 per day!!! With the tax benefits etc we get back about 1/3 of this.

If you and your wifes joint salary is below $100 000 per year, you will get back more - I think about 1/2 to 2/3? (not sure about this one though).

Daycare here is shockingly expensive. Yes, there are cheaper options (the government creches), but those have huge waiting lists. When we arrived, I contacted every single creche within a 15km radius of Perth city. The government ones all had 6 month to 2 year waiting lists. We only found two creches which had a 5 day per week full-time opening.

The one cost $95 per day (it was awful - it really looked like a dive - I was totally shocked to be honest - but it is not the norm here - the creches here are really nice). The other (the nicer of the two was $75 per day). Those were our choices. We have been here six months now, so theoretically, our daughter could be in one of the cheaper government creches by now, but, considering how difficult the move was for her, we decided to leave her where she is as she has only finally settled in there now.

hi

I think this is a more realistic view and i agree with you

By "affluent" I mean - we lived in a nice area, we had a 4 bedroom house, double garage, pool, both drove small but new cars, had our own small business, had private medical aid, kids at government schools, maybe a meal out once a week - but nothing fancy - Im not into fads and trends.

Here, we pay $400 per week for a small 3 bedroom townhouse. No garage - just a carport. We hardly ever eat out or takeaway - we do like Lisa does - pack a picnic.

When I got here I didnt have a car for 2 months - we thought we could live with one vehicle - if you are used to having your own car this may get you down. We both bought second hand cars for cash - maybe look at going this route instead of one brand new.

My husband works much longer hours here and having one car was just not working out with kids going to friends, after school activities and sports, doctor etc.

And we each have "a sanity allowance". For hubby thats beer money !!

thanks a again. my budget sheet is coming along nicely

If you are coming to Sydney consider toll roads as well. Car rego, green slip just recently got it, it is compulsory 3rd party insurance $381 and car registration $245, these things adds up. We buy a lot on specials at the supermarkets and the Ozzies are bargain hunters and everything is negotiable so we shop around and bargain, which we did on tv, washing machine (got a year's worth of washing and sta-soft). Were we save, is on cleaning services. O ja and i downloaded on google where u get the cheapest petrol in a 15/20 km radius of your postcode so there are many ways to cost effective and have fun at the same time. We use the GPS if we have time to avoid toll road fees, you will be surprised, Sydney harbour tunnel $5 each way. It adds up.

Billabong,

I believe yours is the most realistic budget, I have seen so far, Good on you mate.

If you can live on that then like you say anything extra is Just a bonus.

DBR

Mr Handyman.

I think that the difference for people / families on temp visa's as oppossed to PR is quite significant.

Maybe when people are posting they should mention which visa they are on.

DBR

Mr Handyman.

We will be going on a PR...true - the $35 000 odd will have to be after tax...but still...Not anywhere close to $90 000,00....Is anything exempt from tax? - like salaries under a certain amount per year?...