South African Volumes to Australia

IamInACT

Hi ...

Just for fun (I Think) :ilikeit: , I have attached the last 10 years migration/immigration stats for South Africans settling in and leaving Australia.

For 2007/2008, 5166 South Africans arrived in Australia, the top state was QLD with 1570 followed by WA 1483, NSW 1070, VIC 711, SA 245, ACT 39, TAS 34 and NT 14.

For the same period 589 South African born Aussies left Australia but only 92 of them returned to South Africa. Of the 589 that left 427 had been in Australia for over 5 years. 291 people left Australia in this period with their intended arrival location as South Africa this includes the 92 previously stated, 138 Australian born persons and 61 other nationals.

For past 10 years, 54625 South Africans arrived in Australia, the top state is NSW with 17338 followed by WA 15238, QLD 11763, VIC 7009, SA 2557, ACT 311, TAS 280 and NT 125

For the same 10 years 3800 South African born Aussies left Australia. 2492 people left Australia in this period with their intended arrival location as South Africa this includes 1163 Australian born persons and 1329 South Africans and other nationals.

Enjoy

------------------------------------------------------------------

10/2007 - LSD to Melbourne and Perth

14/06/2008 - IELTS exam

27/06/2008 - IELTS score 8.0

25/08/2008 - ACS RPL applied

26/10/2008 - ACS RPL received

11/03/2009 - ACT State Sponsorship applied

17/04/2009 - ACT State Sponsorship received

20/04/2009 - 176 Visa application submitted to DIAC

Now - Waiting for CO

post-13348-1242590566.jpg

Interesting the of the approx. 10% who left Australia, only 15% went back to RSA.

And of those that returned the majority had been there for over 5 years!

Thanks! Very interesting!

Do you have this in Excel?

Some questions:

1. Do the figures only reflect people arriving on South African passports?

2. What about South Africans arriving on British and other passports?

3. Do the figures only reflect people arriving on PR visas?

Excel Attached. The information can be found on http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/ and are taken from Settler Arrivals 2007 - 2008 and Immigration Update 2007 - 2008.

1. Statics talk about Country of of birth ...

2. same as 1

3. it is settler visas so immigrants.

Thanks T

SAStats.xls

Excel Attached. The information can be found on http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/ and are taken from Settler Arrivals 2007 - 2008 and Immigration Update 2007 - 2008.

1. Statics talk about Country of of birth ...

2. same as 1

3. it is settler visas so immigrants.

Thanks T

Cool, thanks

yeah, thanks, interesting...

What happens if a SA born person simply leaves Australia without formally stating that they are leaving permanently?

As far as I know that example (leaving without informing the government) is the reason that SA officially shows a small percentage of people leaving SA each year - because most folks just pack up and leave without a word. There's a huge gap between official emigration numbers and actual numbers.

Do the Australians stats face the same limitation? Just wondering...

from what I see they are quite jack in Aus, but not sure .... It is the formal stats from the Govrnment.

from what I see they are quite jack in Aus, but not sure .... It is the formal stats from the Govrnment.

I would also assume that the Oz government is better organised than SA. But when one looks at "official" migration numbers out of any country, I think the amount is usually very understated. Reason is that many people just pack up and leave; they don't always formally inform the country that they have migrated. They just leave. So I would be inclined to assume that there are many more SAns leaving Australia than the official number. And a lot more SAns leaving SA to go to Oz (when examining SA stats).

6 of 1 and half dozen of the other.

:rolleyes:

I can't find the numbers now, but the totals of these stats don't match up with the number of South Africans already in Australia (I seem to remember 110 000 from census data somewhere on one of the Aussie governments 101 000 web sites).

One explanation is people that left before the period of the stats, and the other could be related to type of visa.

The other point I can't get clarity on, is this the number of visa holders, or visa holder and their family included, because then it be multiplied by three or four?

There's a reason I'm not a statistician... :rolleyes:

These stats are only for 1997 - 2008 and does not incl immigration before that