Mrs. Maritz & family

Good Witch

Am I the only one who has often wondered about Mrs Maritz and family? Have they arrived in Aus? Where are they? Are they settled in okay?

Does anyone know?

me too, was also wondering how they are, miss her posts..

YES!!! I would also like to know that they are ok?!..... :)

I've been waiting too...

Andi - maybe write a poem :)

Mrs Maritz where are you?

I've been waiting too...

Andi - maybe write a poem :)

Cheeky chops! :(

Well it got one "snake" out of the bag already!!!! hie hie..... :)

Well it got one "snake" out of the bag already!!!! hie hie..... :)

LOL!

I've been waiting too...

Andi - maybe write a poem :ilikeit:

Hee, hee, and she hasn't lost her sense of humour!!

• 1 month later...

Here I am...... in SYDNEY!! AND LOVING IT!!!!

Thank you for asking about me, and thank you for the people that e-mailed me :ilikeit: I have been reading here, especially in the lonely nights in South Africa....

Well, let me try and update as short as possible.... but as I know myself, once I start writing, I cannot stop!

We got our visa on 15 October 2008..... daughter got married on 6 December 2008, hubby flew to Perth on 8 December. My husband just LOVED Perth and still thinks it is the best place on earth! He almost secured a job there, but at the third interview he was told the place is going to close down due to the economic downturn... what a bummer! He spent Christmas and New Year alone in a new country. But luckily he was staying with South Africans in Perth and they really made a huge effort to help him feel at home. Thank you so much to them....

Then my 2 youngest kids flew to Perth on 2 January 2009.... we thought it a good idea to have them settle in a bit before school starts. LOTS of tears for my 15-year old daughter for leaving boyfriend and best friends behind.

During January hubby had a few telephonic interviews from all over the country. At that stage he didn't care where he would work, he just wanted a job. Finally he received an offer from Caltex in Sydney..... the last place we thought we will end up... He is a chemical engineer and I reckon here is only a few jobs for them in Sydney! Actually..... when we visited Australia in 2004, we said we want to emigrate to Sydney one day.... but we thought it a strange and impossible idea ... until he got the job offer.

So hubby and the 2 kids flew to Sydney. Unfortunately hubby didn't do much research on a place to stay, and they ended up in a terrible Bed and Breakfast place in Burwood. They never ate breakfast there, because apparently you have to dine with the cockroaches. So my children first impression of Sydney was definitely not great, and still today they shudder when they think of Burwood. Luckily my husband found a VERY nice, but small, fully furnished house to rent just 1km from his workplace in Kurnell. They've moved in there the first week of February.

He enrolled the kids at Cronulla High. Unfortunately my son had to repeat Grade 11, because the Grade 12s have started with their work in the previous year and would start with exams within 3 weeks.... my kids started school 4 weeks after schools opened! But my son is extremely happy in school and for the first time in his life, he enjoys school.... as much as any kid can enjoy school!!

My 15-year old daughter on the other hand is struggling a lot.... she has been crying a lot lately and it feels to her as if she is the weird, lonely kid in school. I will see tomorrow what is the best action to take..... we have a few options. I feel so sorry for her!

I, in the meantime, prepared our house for sale. What a mission! I received an offer in the beginning of February, but they had to sell their property first. I accepted the offer and they had till end of February to sell their place..... which they obviously didn't!! So that was kind of a useless offer!

I flew to Sydney on 18 February to validate my visa and help my family with settling in. Ag, it was so nice to see my family again!! Hubby and me were apart for more than 2 months!!

The little house my husband found, was so nice and convenient! It was advertised as a holiday apartment, but luckily the owner realised she could make some money from us by having us there for a longer period! So we rented the house until end of May at a reduced rate - half the holiday rate. She

(the owner) was happy, because she didn't have to clean the house every other weekend, and we were happy because the house was fully furnished and we didn't have to buy anything!!

The first two weekends I were there, we unfortunately had to go out of the house for the weekend, because the house was rented for those weekends. It gave as time to explore the Blue Mountains - BEAUTIFUL - and Wollongong - SURPRISING BEAUTIFUL!

I only stayed in Sydney for 3.5 weeks.... had to go back to South Africa to run the business. I really struggled with jetlag! But slowly I started getting my way around here.. . I was very proud of myself the first time I took a shopping trip on my own! My eldest (married) daughter, also flew to Sydney to validate her visa. It was so nice showing her around and we had heaps of fun!

I flew back to South Africa - hating to leave my family behind and dreading selling the house and business.....

So back in South Africa..... oh dear - it was a huge adjustment! In Sydney I slept like a baby.... no worries... but from the first night back in South Africa, I heard noises and it was back to restless sleep for me! And driving on South African roads is a hazard to anyone's good health!

Okay, to make a loooooong story short..... while in South Africa, I've sold the house, packed the container, spent countless evenings sitting up straight - too scared to fall asleep - it was only me and the dog that stayed in the house! The container was a huge effort... and I will write about that separately. I was homeless on 30 April. My eldest (married) daughter returned to South Africa on election day and it was wonderful to have here there for the final help with the container. Her husband applied for a spouse visa in January, and we are still waiting. He had problems with his medicals - another long story.

So, on 1 May I've moved in with my son-in-law's parents. I also tried to spend as much possible time with my two brothers in Pretoria and my in-laws. I really had some FANTASTIC times with my brothers and will cherish that forever. So then one day I just decided I'm now gatvol and want to be with my real family! So I've booked a ticket to Sydney for 19 May. We've made an agreement with my daughter and her husband to run the business. As soon as they hear about his visa, they will sell the business. I have a return ticket and still have to go back to South Africa to finalise our finances and say my good-byes. But I am only planning to return in September - after my in-laws visit us here in August. HOPEFULLY by then my son-in-law's visa came through and the business is sold and we can finally move on with our new lives.

My hubby and kids got us a nice rental in Lilli Pilli - about 15km from hubby's work. The nicest thing about the house is the fact that there are a lot of hooks against the walls.... meaning I can hang some of my mother's and daughter's paintings!!!!

Okay, this is already much longer than I anticipated, and I really need to go to bed!! Just want to say one last thing............. I LOVE IT IN SYDNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep well,

Milada Maritz

Edited by Mrs Maritz

What a wonderfully informative post........I am new hereso do not know you like the others seem to but hope to read a lot more about you and your family's triumphs :ilikeit:

Yay! At last!!! Thanks for the update, and such an exciting one that was! You have a beautiful name Mrs Maritz, Milada, most unusual, but... I fear that to us you will always remain just... Mrs Maritz... :blush:

I was also in the Blue Mountains over the past weekend, attended the Katoomba Winter Yulefest, and we spent a delightful weekend in the mountains. It truly is beautiful! And Sydney is wonderful! It is a vibrant, energetic city, full of interesting people and places... I am sure that you will love living there!

Welcome to Australia, may you and your family reap the rewards every day.

Best wishes

Andi

Thanx for the update Mrs M !

Glad to hear you love Sydney - we also visited the Blue Mountains - only they were white - covered in mist !!

Hope your daughter finds happiness soon - your son in law gets his visa and everything else regarding your move falls into place soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just spent an hour to update my profile :) I've given a detailed summary of our visa process..... I really hope that it will start a new trend, because it will be so nice if you go to somebody's profile and see more information about them! You obviously don't have to be so detailed, but any summary will be better than nothing!

How to see somebody's profile..... just click on their name and choose "View Member Profile"

Gee you have been busy - but I agree its a good idea - gives everyone some background info.

Good to hear you son in law has the visa - but Im sorry to read about your daughter - my daughter is in the same situation. Breaks my heart. Hope your daughter can find a little happiness soon. Has she joined any group - or sport / hobby she enjoys ? Have found this has helped my 14 year old a little.

Enjoy filling the tank - cant say Im comfortable with it yet.

Take care,

I was just looking at your profile and history of your visa. I had tears at then end of it, all the best for your family, and hope your daughter soon finds her feet, maybe a change of school is all she needs.

My son came with us, at 19 years and he actually adapted very well and made friends, so anything is possible.